February 16, 2022

Happy 'Russian Invasion' Day

I woke up early today because the moon is full and I have been promised a 'Russian invasion'.

The sky was clouded, no moon to see, and the 'invasion' is for some reason way less bloody than anticipated.

Not all hope is lost though. It may still be coming:

The 3am time (1am GMT) when US intelligence sources suspected a Russian attack came and went without incident last night as Putin continued to keep The West guessing.

Cold clear skies over capital Kyiv - where locals had braced for an aerial blitz - remained silent save for passing commercial flights.

But tension remained high before dawn on the day American officials had said Putin’s invasion force would be unleashed on Ukraine.

I wonder why the map accompanying The Sun screed has four of the five arrows showing a 'possible Russian advance' plus all those artillery cannons and tanks point towards the east.

bigger

What is this supposed to say?

Anyway, let's have a happy 'Russian invasion' day.

Posted by b on February 16, 2022 at 7:02 UTC | Permalink

Comments
« previous page

@aquadraht | Feb 17 2022 18:18 utc | 200

>>And even GOP calling for free speech, lol.
Candidate Trump flaunted his contempt for civil liberties; and his base looved it, I assume taking it as proof that he was no librul. They must also have assumed that any restrictions would be targeted at their enemies. Surprise! Trump appointed their enemies. These days we talk about "indivisibility of security", but we all sometimes have difficulty accepting that it's similar with domestic freedoms.

Posted by: Ma Laoshi | Feb 17 2022 19:15 utc | 201

@Ma Laoshi | Feb 17 2022 19:15 utc | 201
Didn't follow all of Trump's rants, would have been exhausting. What interests me more, is the process that working class people started to hate "libruls" and leftists, and not just the usual anticommunists. Ok, anticommunism has poisoned practically all of the US, "libruls" included. And as to Trumps appointments, it just demonstrates what jerk he was.

Fully agree. It is disturbing anyway, who is infringing domestic freedom nowadays. As I wrote earlier, we were so used to conservatives as the main enemies of freedoms.

Posted by: aquadraht | Feb 17 2022 19:25 utc | 202

@aquadraht | Feb 17 2022 19:25 utc | 202

>>is the process that working class people started to hate "libruls"
>>and leftists, and not just the usual anticommunists

That's ... just one side's telling of it. The banks had always been richer than the workers of course, but in the Clinton years the imbalance had become so overwhelming that the Dems decided to switch sides. This earned him much Establishment praise, "Clinton took economics off the table." Now you not only need something else to talk about, but you also need to explain why the workers deserved to be dumped--foremost to yourself. Europe just follows, as usual.

Older currents as well. The postwar US left was under huge pressure to prove that they were no commies. Militarism was a good start, but the CIA helpfully suggested to redirect their energies to Frankfurter-Schule style identity politics. The whole point is that workers have no reason to support you afterwards. You kinda have to admire it: traditionally you have to lock up the Left lest the workers get uppity, the landowners nervous, and the war impopular. But our Left is navelgazing "What shall we say about trans people of color? And what about the Uighurs?" Everbody knows it's useless but hey if it makes you feel good...

The D's had little objective reason for their singular vilification of Trump. Best comment I saw on the matter was that their real target was the Trump supporters. These remind the Dems of what they used to be: dirty people organizing in factory canteens who hadn't learned at Harvard what to say and crucially what not to say. No way they'll ever go back.

You gotta admire Craig Murray for going to jail for his activism, but even he does it: for him the Tory voters are always racist, apparently for wanting to preserve the culture they grew up in, and some control over who immigrates into their country. Still wishing some mainstream respectability, still playing the Establishment's divide-and-conquer game against everybody else.

>>conservatives as the main enemies of freedoms.
Well conservatives certainly haven't become its friends suddenly. But the liberal establishment has become absurdly authoritarian. As soon as Biden came in, it was raining censorship and Berufsverbote. We shouldn't forget that during the "Russiagate" Trump years, the marriage between media, the intel agencies, and the Dems has been fully consummated. Yes, as befits our woke times, it's a love triangle.

Posted by: Ma Laoshi | Feb 17 2022 21:08 utc | 203

@Ma Laoshi | Feb 17 2022 21:08 utc | 203

Frankfurter-Schule style identity politics

This one interests me. Have you ever read a line of Horkheimer or Adorno? Ok might never met them in person like me ;) but that is not the point. Or at least Marcuse?

Personally, I never was much in love with that flavour of Neomarxism, rather being an old school bolshy (or, if you like, judeo-bolshevist :) ). But that is not the point either.

Problem is that "Frankfurter Schule" has become a "Feindbild" for tons of people who hardly read a book of social sciences ever in their lives but know certainly that this is the source of all evil.

To much of the rest, I fully agree, especially that "the liberal establishment has become absurdly authoritarian." Even fascist, if you look at Canada.

Posted by: aquadraht | Feb 17 2022 21:27 utc | 204

To add that: None of the writings of any of the social scientists usually counted as "Frankfurter Schule" ever has contained a single line about "identity politics". Rather that would have been squarely counter their intentions and points.

Identity politics is a brainchild of poststructuralism, a branch of philosophy and social sciences heavily promoted by the CIA as a backlash against marxism (even neomarxism like Frankfurter Schule).

Posted by: aquadraht | Feb 17 2022 21:32 utc | 205

„ Any of this makes sense to you?“

aquadraht | 200
and
Ma Laoshi | 198

Yes. Thank you.
We watch a national media 99% under US control and no signs of a european elite unconfortable with it. The fiction of the narratives becomes reality.
For example:
I wondered why all the companies accused of partcipating at „Xinjiang genocide“ did not defend themselves?

I don’t agree to your view of arab refugees. I know some of them, none of them islamist. There is no „dissollution of society“ by these immigrants.

Posted by: njet | Feb 18 2022 8:56 utc | 206

@aquadraht | Feb 17 2022 21:27 utc | 204

>>Frankfurter-Schule style identity politics
I could have made my point (maybe better so) leaving the Schule out of it. Even its practitioners call the modern Western Left "the politics of difference". On the remaining points, we agree as much as two people on the internet ever will.

Clearly, I would be no match for you debating Marxist theory. My family has lived enough Marxist practice (others would say: perversion of Marxism) to discourage me from catching up. It doesn't take much to notice though that the modern Left has turned 180 degrees from "Workers of the world, unite!"

But since you return to it, let me bite; hey I might learn something. My understanding is that the Schule investigated why Germany and others had missed out on a proletarian revolution, which all their books had presented as a scientifically unavoidable outcome. They came round to a view that the fabric of German and similar societies (trade unions, churches, sports clubs, etc) give them--gasp!!--a certain stability; the Law of Conservation of the Masses. So to really kick things off, all of that needs to go.

My choice of words above is not neutral; it can't be if I want to give my honest impression, however flawed. Welcome to set me straight. :-)

Posted by: Ma Laoshi | Feb 18 2022 9:05 utc | 207

As to the Frankfurter Schule, the Institut fuer Sozialforschung, dissolved by the Nazis, caused their main proponents, Adorno and Horkheimer in particular, to emigrate to the USA. Their philosophical program was meant to create a synthesis of Marxism, psychoanalysis, mainly Freudian one, and Weber's positivism. It had nothing to do with communist parties at all.

Your utterings seem to be a crude mix of alt right and Alex Jones rants (for whom Frankfurter Schule is Marxism-Leninism, as is postmodernism and poststructuralism), and some wikipedia bits. In fact, Adorno, and, to my knowledge Horkheimer either, never wrote a line about proletarian revolutions. Adorno in particular was deeply moved by the ascent of Nazism, and of Auschwitz in particular.

Posted by: aquadraht | Feb 18 2022 9:44 utc | 208

@aquadraht | Feb 18 2022 9:44 utc | 208

Posted by: Ma Laoshi | Feb 18 2022 9:52 utc | 209

Btw that said, I do not accuse you to adhere to Bannon or Jones. But all that Frankfurter Schule rant is fairly absurd. Adorno never engaged in any political activity. Where he and Horkheimer got most hated by right wingers, was an empirical work, the studies in authoritarian character. The thoughts were to some extent picked up by the students' movement of the 1960s, especially the "antiauthoritarian" branch fancying Freudian thought and sexual revolution (and drugs) more than proletarian movements. Adorno himself was deeply shocked when students occupied his institute in 1969 (iirc) he died short after.

Posted by: aquadraht | Feb 18 2022 10:02 utc | 210

@aquadraht | Feb 18 2022 9:44 utc | 208

>>a synthesis of Marxism, psychoanalysis, mainly Freudian one
With such ingredients, the pizza has to come out yummy! Still unsure how one can write on Marxism without touching on proletarian revolutions, which kinda was the point I thought; maybe trying to do "Marx-without-the-Lenin", which to me sounds like alcohol-free beer.

My views may well be deeply biased by having seen it all in practice. Marxists will protest that that wasn't what they ever meant, and yet few of them condemned the Soviet system when it was in power. In fact Marx's critique of capitalism makes a lot of sense to me; but if you then advocate concentrating power in a Communist Party instead, I worry it all might have been disingenuous from the outset.

Sorry I should tone down the pop culture, but the communist storyline in Disco Elysium was so well done. When you finally find the Party cell, you ask "Shouldn't we wait for the others to show up?" "Nah, for now it's just Steban and me."

>>Adorno and Horkheimer in particular, to emigrate to the USA
I know that of course, that's how you get influence: Paul Verhoeven couldn't have done Total Recall in Holland. :-) Just remind me what good they've done there.

>>and some wikipedia bits
That may well have happened. :-) Alex Jones, ugh; but then again, not keen on more first-hand exposure to his utterances either. As for the alt-right: yes their thesis that modern liberalism has become explicitly anti-white reflects what I see in front of my eyes. When conservatives say that the gay-rights movement is now intruding on Christians' rights to their own lifestyle, that resonates with me ("indivisibility of freedom" again). So a bite of forbidden thoughts doesn't bother me; easier if one doesn't live in Germany. But follow those movements one more step and it becomes a right-wing identity politics, which has nothing of interest to me.

[I now see you can write two posts before I can write one. :-) It's not that I don't follow Bannon's ideas; I dispute their existence. He is for hire, and can deliver real political skills if the price is right. Recent years he worked for fugitive criminal Guo Wengui; then he went too far and got caught. But it didn't matter because he got pardoned, as will surely happen to Jake Sullivan if worst comes to worst. But we digress.]

Thanks for replying. I'll try to keep an open mind on the Schule, though not an eager one. I'm also figuring out I think that you go by "a^2", and that the "aqua" which caught my eye is just happenstance.

Writing about pizza's given me ideas of my own; ttyl.
------------------------------------------------------
@njet | Feb 18 2022 8:56 utc | 206

>>I wondered why all the companies accused of partcipating at
>>„Xinjiang genocide“ did not defend themselves?
Because they hope silence is the fastest way to make the topic go away? Because the Establishment proudly waves the scalps around from those who dared to talk back, even as they're denying that there is a Cancel Culture? Hegemony is every pol's wet dream.

>>I don’t agree to your view of arab refugees. I know some of them
Given the total pool, you're bound to have all sorts; people who get to talk to each other have already self-selected. Hey Crytek Studios was founded by German Turks (who aren't Arab of course); I know the stereotypes make little sense. And yet, wasn't there a ~2018 internal EU report saying "It's not the immigrants' total numbers; it's not their religion; it's the abysmal average quality that's weakening the Union"?

I have to go by what I see in front of my own eyes: for the German govt it's a real blood-and-treasure priority that the Kurds just gotta have a country for their people. Yet Germans who meekly propose the same for themselves can expect a knock on their door.

Maybe the bit we can agree on that all this is ultimately the Germans making their own choices--as it should be.

Posted by: Ma Laoshi | Feb 18 2022 11:43 utc | 211

@ Biswapriya Purkayast:

Great song :)

I heard the original when I was 10YO, and I still play that LP from time to time.

Your adaptation is superb, keep up with the good work...

Posted by: Sir Robert the 3rd | Feb 19 2022 17:28 utc | 212