October 25, 2021

Microsoft Blames Russia For Failure To Enforce Its Vendors Account Security

There are again claims that a run-of-the-mill computer incident was caused by 'Russian hacking' even as no evidence is provided for it.

The New York Times hacks immediately turn that evidence free claim that into a 'challenge' for the U.S. president even as there is nothing political about the incident.

Russia Challenges Biden Again With Broad Cybersurveillance Operation

Russia’s premier intelligence agency has launched another campaign to pierce thousands of U.S. government, corporate and think-tank computer networks, Microsoft officials and cybersecurity experts warned on Sunday, only months after President Biden imposed sanctions on Moscow in response to a series of sophisticated spy operations it had conducted around the world.

The new effort is “very large, and it is ongoing,” Tom Burt, one of Microsoft’s top security officers, said in an interview. Government officials confirmed that the operation, apparently aimed at acquiring data stored in the cloud, seemed to come out of the S.V.R., the Russian intelligence agency that was the first to enter the Democratic National Committee’s networks during the 2016 election.

While Microsoft insisted that the percentage of successful breaches was small, it did not provide enough information to accurately measure the severity of the theft.

Earlier this year, the White House blamed the S.V.R. for the so-called SolarWinds hacking, a highly sophisticated effort to alter software used by government agencies and the nation’s largest companies, giving the Russians broad access to 18,000 users.

As typical for such incidents they get exaggerated - "very large, and it is ongoing" - and downplayed - "the percentage of successful breaches was small" - at the same time. The attribution to Russia - "seemed to come out of the S.V.R." - is extraordinary weak.

To compare the current incident, which turns out to have been a primitive 'brute force' attack on user logins, to the very sophisticated Solarwinds hack, makes little sense.

If it was indeed the S.V.R. which has done the Solarwinds attack, which is also an unproven assertion, then it is hard to believe that the current rather primitive incident can be attributed to the same entity.

Here is how the new attempts are described:

Microsoft said it recently notified more than 600 organizations that they had been the target of about 23,000 attempts to enter their systems.
Microsoft said the attack was focused on its “resellers,” firms that customize the use of the cloud for companies or academic institutions.
As described by Microsoft, the incursion primarily involved deploying a huge database of stolen passwords in automated attacks intended to get Russian government hackers into Microsoft’s cloud services.

So someone took a database of typically used passwords (there are many of these available for free) and used it for automated login attempts to some 600 accounts of Microsoft cloud resellers. Gaining such access could then allow to attack the customers of that reseller. Such brute force attacks are a simple script kiddie task that require less than ten lines of code. To claim that the organization that managed the Solarwinds hack would now use such a most primitive way to gain access to accounts is pretty hilarious.

Consider the Solarwinds details:

As part of the attack, the threat actors gained access to the SolarWinds Orion build system and added a backdoor to the legitimate SolarWinds.Orion.Core.BusinessLayer.dll DLL file. This DLL was then distributed to SolarWinds customers in a supply chain attack via an automatic update platform used to push out new software updates.

This DLL backdoor is known as Sunburst (FireEye) or Solorigate (Microsoft, and is loaded by the SolarWinds.BusinessLayerHost.exe program. Once loaded, it will connect back to the remote command & control server at a subdomain of avsvmcloud[.]com to receive "jobs," or tasks, to execute on the infected computer.

The backdoor's command control server's DNS name is created utilizing a domain generation algorithm (DGA) to create an encoded subdomain of avsvmcloud[.]com. FireEye states that the subdomain is created by "concatenating a victim userId with a reversible encoding of the victims local machine domain name," and then hashed. For example, a subdomain used in this attack is '1btcr12b62me0buden60ceudo1uv2f0i.appsync-api.us-east-2[.]avsvmcloud.com.'

It is unknown what tasks were executed, but it could be anything from giving remote access to the threat actors, downloading and installing further malware, or stealing data.

The Solarwinds attack required intimate knowledge of the company's development, build and distribution process, several complex software modifications, command and control tools and a well managed infrastructure.

Source: Microsoft - bigger

I have no problem to believe that the Solarwinds hack was done by a well resourced state actor. But no public evidence was provided that it was a Russian one. One should at least acknowledge that dozens of other countries have similar capabilities and could also lay false traces to point to other actors.

But no such well resourced state actor would use simple brute force attacks on account logins because they are considered to be a waste of time. Such attacks are way too easy to detect and defended against and therefore the least attractive method to use. They are most often used by amateur criminals.

This incident certainly does not point to a 'Russian attack' but to rather flimsy security policy provided by Microsoft and its resellers:

American officials confirmed that the operation, which they consider routine spying, was underway. But they insisted that if it was successful, it was Microsoft and similar providers of cloud services who bore much of the blame.

A senior administration official called the latest attacks “unsophisticated, run-of-the mill operations that could have been prevented if the cloud service providers had implemented baseline cybersecurity practices.”

“We can do a lot of things,” the official said, “but the responsibility to implement simple cybersecurity practices to lock their — and by extension, our — digital doors rests with the private sector.”

The Microsoft's description of the incident makes the unfounded claims that Russia's S.V.R. was behind it. But it also acknowledges that its shoddy security policy was the real culprit in this:

The attacks we’ve observed in the recent campaign against resellers and service providers have not attempted to exploit any flaw or vulnerability in software but rather used well-known techniques, like password spray and phishing, to steal legitimate credentials and gain privileged access.

Microsoft admits that while it had asked its resellers to use multi-factor authentication for logins it did not, up to now, enforce that policy:

We have long maintained and evolved the security requirements and policies we enforce with service providers that sell or support Microsoft technology. For example, in September 2020, we updated contracts with our resellers to expand Microsoft’s abilities and rights to address reseller security incidents and to require that resellers implement specific security protections for their environments, such as restricting Partner Portal access and requiring that resellers enable multi-factor authentication (MFA) in accessing our cloud portals and underlying services, and we will take the necessary and appropriate steps to enforce these security commitments.

Had Microsoft taken those "necessary and appropriate steps" earlier no hack could have had occurred. But it was Microsoft which let its cloud resellers get away with providing less security to their customers than Twitter provides for my @MoonofA account.

To blame Russia for the resulting mess is obviously just a diversion from Microsoft's culpability. To manipulate that into a politically charged international incident that 'challenges' the U.S. president is dangerous warmongering.

Posted by b on October 25, 2021 at 17:17 UTC | Permalink

Comments

It's about time someone (thanks, B) identified the service providers responsibilities to protecting the clients data. No matter where, in a digital world there will always be hackers trying to gain access to a system, not just Russia.

Posted by: naiverealist | Oct 25 2021 17:30 utc | 1

We could always consider not connecting important systems up to the internet at all? Nah. It is just too convenient, right?

Posted by: Bemildred | Oct 25 2021 17:35 utc | 2

If Microsoft did enforce security measures, there would be no way to periodically frighten us with Russian threats, which are worth trillions in unaccountable cyber funding.

Posted by: Linda Wood | Oct 25 2021 17:59 utc | 3

SolarWinds was most likely Israeli handiwork.
Microsoft is terrible bloated malware and should be avoided at all costs.

Posted by: sbin | Oct 25 2021 18:17 utc | 4

Simple solution: the United States should stop using Microsoft.

Posted by: lyy | Oct 25 2021 18:17 utc | 5

The Volt 9 Operation allows CIA to feign a Russian hack.

Posted by: Cid | Oct 25 2021 18:33 utc | 6

I thought it was Chinas time to be blamed?

Thanks b

Posted by: jo6pac | Oct 25 2021 18:42 utc | 7

usa foreign policy will not change... so, the means to generate all the moolah for wall st and the military industry is to continue to say shit in the msm.... it is a tried and true formula and anyone who questions any of it will be silenced... meanwhile the stupid fucking politicians feed off this shit while screwing the people they represent.. the usa is truly fucked.. we have the nyt, and etc to thank for much of this.. it seems bullshit baffles a lot of brains..

Posted by: james | Oct 25 2021 18:44 utc | 8

David Sanger (the NYT "reporter) is largely not credible.

He's replaced the infamous "security" state stenographer Michael Gordon, who went to the Wall Street Journal in 2017.

Gordon was the lead author on the most infamous 2002 "Judith Miller" "Iraq has WMDs" articles. Though unlike Miller, Gordon didn't spend years on FoxNews proclaiming he was right.

Nor was Miller fired for reporting those lies as fact. She was fired by the NYT for lying to senior editors about her part in the outing of Valarie Plame as a CIA field agent. Miller had hidden from those editors that Cheney, through his chief of staff (Scooter Libby), was the party outing Plame as undercover CIA.

Right, Miller didn't actually out Plame, Bob Novak did. However Miller was to be a backup way for Cheney to out Plame, Cheney having been enraged that Plame's husband at the time (Joe Wilson) had called BS on the uranium (yellow cake) from Niger [going to Iraq] claims in an NYT OpEd.

Posted by: Jay | Oct 25 2021 18:58 utc | 9

@ jay... thanks for jogging my memory on that... yes - libby as rep for cheney outed plame... all of this shit has to go thru the nyt and they will claim innocence if they are ever challenged.. people in high places... they don't get challenged.. remember as obama said - usa doesn't do accountability, lol... they have to get beyond that, lol..

Posted by: james | Oct 25 2021 19:01 utc | 10

@Jay (9) I was surprised that b neglected mentioning that the author of the Times piece was the notorious David Sanger. As soon as I saw his byline under the headline, I knew that the story would be total crap.

Posted by: Rob | Oct 25 2021 20:03 utc | 11

Only recently President Biden talked about cyber security and the threats it entails. He even stated that hacking could lead to a HOT war with.... fill in the blank.
Jimmy Dore addresses Biden's remarks in this segment of his life show... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP9Nn-FHW2M

Posted by: Beverly | Oct 25 2021 20:16 utc | 12

Conclusions are obvious. "We" (I am not included) need more military bases, weapon systems, and perhaps more layers in the alliance system.

The innermost layer of USA, next layer adds UK and Australia,
Next layer adds New Zealand and Canada <-- 5 eyes
Then we add the rest of NATO <-- perhaps in multiple steps
Then we add the other cooperating countries in little batches.

Necessary distinctions must be made in intelligence sharing and sharing of weapon systems.

With all those things in place, we can start to regulate the security of the cybersphere. Or perhaps after completing the transition to non-carbon energy sources.

Posted by: Piotr Berman | Oct 25 2021 20:16 utc | 13

I occasionally send a $ hundred to a poor young friend in a third world country from my NZ WorldRemit account. A cool young man who feeds his family by working as a welder. Now this company wants me to do digital gymnastics, massive 'certified' documentation at maximum hassle, including a selfie, which I never do, just to keep my account open. I have not broken any laws. If they suspect I have broken the law the onus of proof is upon them. It is not up to me to justify myself in advance. My private business is my business. The Apple dealer persuaded me to have facial identification on my phone, now I regret that.

I am willing to buy a computer and phone that doesn't fit into their surveillance parameters and scrap my existing gadgets.

I am sick of digital surveillance.

For the QR code I was prepared to give out my name, my DoB and my address. I asked a friend to help, I told her, 'as soon as it asks for a password STOP.'

Within a few minutes it had asked for two passwords including the password for my phone so I would be giving out all my personal data to the government and their friends. I am passworded out, I don't want to remember one more password.

Can anyone please suggest a website against digital surveillance?

Successive governments have blatantly lied to me repeatedly. I simply don't trust governments anymore. Soon their demands will escalate at the threat of more grief. It's time for me to opt out of digital surveillance. Imagine, I pay for my own surveillance by buying the surveillance equipment.

I have a new satellite phone I have not activated as the supplier wanted too much documentation that I simply did not have at the time. No face recognition there.

Now, how do I send a donation to the Palestine or Iran Red Cross, Red Crescent or Red Lion?

Posted by: Paul | Oct 25 2021 20:23 utc | 14

More nonsense and propaganda from an American Empire in terminal economic decline. Indeed, the continuing decline of late-stage American capitalism has progressed to the point where its very survival is contingent upon constant debt monetization (aka money printing) to prop up financial markets and the military. This is becoming increasingly tenuous as this orgy of money printing and debt has created gigantic bubbles in every asset class- equities, bonds and real estate (‘everything bubble’) which has increased inflation and threatening to derail the dollars role as the world reserve currency. The ruling elite are apoplectic about the $2 trillion debacle in Afghanistan, exploding debt- since Mar 2020, US government debt has hemorrhaged $8 trillion; outstanding government debt exceeds $28.5 trillion (See: https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/GFDEBTN) and are enraged the China-Russia-Iran axis has reached economic and military parity with the US and is becoming an increasingly assertive impediment to US global power. The proverbial ‘Fourth Estate’, aka Corporate media, provides > 90% of ‘news’ viewed/read by the American public, is controlled by 6 large corporations- ATT, CBS, Comcast, Disney, Newscorp and Viacom, functions primarily as the ‘ministry of propaganda’ for the ruling elite, pumping out non-stop nonsense, fabrications and lies, and endlessly promoting policies which maintain US global hegemony and increase corporate power and profits. The latest accusations of Russian ‘hacking’ are part of this campaign. BTW- In addition to being the chief Washington correspondent for the paper of record (NYT), David Sanger is also member of the Council on Foreign Relations (CFR), whose members include corporate executives, bankers, and other representatives of the ruling elite.

Posted by: Paul | Oct 25 2021 20:35 utc | 15

The problem for the companies is that they are forced to provide backdoors into their system for the "legitimate" hackers (NSACIAFBI etc.) which opens the door for anyone else who wants a listen in.

This particular story, as b points out, is not even that level of sophistication, however ... how low can the Times sink and will their party-line loyal readers ever notice?

Posted by: Caliman | Oct 25 2021 20:42 utc | 16

Dear Paul, @14, thank you for providing a backtrace by posting on MoA.

Just kidding.

Seriously, though, you may consider simply hiding out in the open, with minimal security efforts. Call me cynical, but I doubt that any little bit or byte that flows through the big Internet pipes is immune to interception. Best not to call attention to yourself.

Posted by: stumpy | Oct 25 2021 20:51 utc | 17

Posted by: sbin | Oct 25 2021 18:17 utc | 4

Totally agree, it's probably an inside job by a compromised employee or contractor.

When they got found out by a 3rd party, blaming Russia and other "adversaries" is just SOP.

Posted by: A.L. | Oct 25 2021 20:51 utc | 18

Posted by: Caliman | Oct 25 2021 20:42 utc | 16

The question is no longer how low the presstitute can go. It's how much dumber can the joe public be in lapping these hit pieces up before their 2 neurons starts firing...

... And they may never

Posted by: A.L. | Oct 25 2021 20:55 utc | 19

Posted by: Paul | Oct 25 2021 20:23 utc | 14

===========

Paul, have you tried wise.com (formerly TransferWise). I use this service to send money to friends in Indonesia. Low fees, efficient, good communication about progress, and minimally intrusive.

I’ve used it several times, and never had a problem.

Posted by: Chris | Oct 25 2021 20:56 utc | 20

NYT on Russian election hacking, front page, above the fold:

"unnamed intelligence officials, citing secret documents"

Evidence? We ain’t got no evidence! We don’t need no evidence! I don’t have to show you any stinking evidence!

Posted by: Bullwinkle J. Moose | Oct 25 2021 21:01 utc | 21

Posted by: Paul | Oct 25 2021 20:35 utc | 15

This is not me.

Posted by: Paul | Oct 25 2021 22:02 utc | 22

The Jewed-up Christians are obsessed with Russophobia. When someone writes a song about it it'll go something like this:

Russia on My Mind
(Apologies to Hoagy Carmichael)

Russia, Russia,
The whole day through.
Just an old sweet song
Keeps Russia on my mind.

I said Russia, Russia.
A song of you,
Comes as sweet and clear
As moonlight through the pines.

Other arms reach out to me.
Other eyes smile tenderly.
Still in peaceful dreams I see,
The road leads back to you.

Whoa-whoa, Russia, Russia
No peace, no peace I find.
Just a tired old meme,
Keeps Russia on my mind.

Posted by: Hoarsewhisperer | Oct 25 2021 23:28 utc | 23

This is nonsense. Sid everyone forget that the Solarwinds network password was widely known prior to the “hack,” that the passworD had been “solarwind” and that later the company denied there had even been a hack. Oh, and the FBI “recovered” the ransom? Worse than the insipid media hysteria over these attacks is the brief attention spans of people who pay any attention to this stuff at all.

There was no “sophisticated “ Solarwind cyber attack, no matter what the cited cybergeeks B quotes like to say. Companies spend billions on cyber security yet they use primitive passwords and fail to patch basic problems. You are being played again. Work on your short term memory

Posted by: Pjerome | Oct 25 2021 23:34 utc | 24

b wrote:

There was no attack on SolarWinds.

A build process creates an executable from source code. The "hack" allegation makes the extraordinary claim that SolarWinds do not read their own source code. Linus reads every line of code before it gets anywhere near the Linux kernel. But evidently SolarWinds developers are illiterate!

The ultimate proof that this was an attack by SolarWinds or SolarWind insiders is that the details of the incident have never been published.

I want to see the source code of the Solorigate module of the BusinessLayer.dll. Is it a modular piece of the dll or was the functionality spread over all the files of the library. How and when was Solorigate removed from SolarWinds? Was every part of this backdoor functionality removed, or was it so tightly integrated into the source code, that it could not be easily removed?

When was the Solorigate backdoor committed into the build system and by whom? Is this person still working for SolarWinds or its Israeli subsidiary?

Was the malware added in one large commit or was the alleged attack spread over multiple incremental commits over a longer time period?

It is evident that the software developers at SolarWinds or its Israeli subsidiary were working for a state intelligence service. At first I thought it was the Americans, but others have pointed out that Israel and Mossad are more likely culprits.

Posted by: Petri Krohn | Oct 25 2021 23:39 utc | 25

Ah yes, the empire's "full court press" continues to denigrate those countries it considers competitors in the "commerce wars". Russia and China, being the latest...

Posted by: vetinLA | Oct 26 2021 0:05 utc | 26

Posted by: Chris | Oct 25 2021 20:56 utc | 20

Thanks for putting me on to wise.com.

I just sent my friend an early Christmas present before my WorldRemit account is closed down.

Paul @ 15 is not me, not that I disagree with that Paul.

Posted by: Paul | Oct 26 2021 0:51 utc | 27

One can't go wrong making baseless assertions about Russian “malign activities.”
>US Congress - House - H.R.1223 - Holding Russia Accountable for Malign Activities Act of 2021
>US Congress - Senate - S.4728 - Holding Russia Accountable for Malign Activities Act of 2020
>NATO - NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg says the organization withdrew the accreditation of eight Russian officials in response to a rise in “malign activities” by Moscow.
>RAND - Understanding and Defending Against Russia's Malign and Subversive Information Efforts in Europe
>DOD - [SecDef] Austin Works With Allies, Partners to Deter Russian Malign Activities
>State Dept funded project - CTR FY 21 Counter Russian Malign Influence
>Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines - The Office of the Director of National Intelligence will create the Foreign Malign Influence Center . . . The report found that Russian President Vladimir Putin authorized efforts to damage Joe Biden’s candidacy

Posted by: d | Oct 26 2021 2:54 utc | 28

@27 Paul

Wise is good - never let me down. I meant to jump in and say but was beat to the punch. Glad you're on it. Glad to hear it works for others also.

Posted by: Grieved | Oct 26 2021 3:38 utc | 29

aimed at acquiring data stored in the cloud,
<=aimed is far from accomplished

I would must prefer Russia to have my data than any of Microsoft..USG, UK, Australia, Google, Yahoo, or Apple.. The Russians have no use for it.
All that happens in the global world is nation state active decoys doing the work, at taxpayer expense, the monopoly endowed privately owned enterprises direct.

Posted by: snake | Oct 26 2021 4:10 utc | 30

Moscow won't lile that you call the Russian hacker attacks "brute force" and "primitive" in comparison to the Israeli hacker attacks.

Posted by: m | Oct 26 2021 4:36 utc | 31

A hint: check out Hell Aviv

Posted by: The real source | Oct 26 2021 5:34 utc | 32

AI directed cyber attacks will be the next crisis for the west.
Fuel, food, internet, phone networks will periodically be attacked.

“There was another AI cyber intrusion this week ….. delaying such and such.
Please adjust your rations accordingly”

Posted by: Cadence calls | Oct 26 2021 5:55 utc | 33

Look, when a vast corporation making trillions in profits screws up big time, it has to blame someone for this, especially when it's gigantically unpopular with everyone except the bought tools of the oligarchy who run the media and sit at desks pretending to be government. It would be logical to blame Russia because there's less probable pushback from Russia.

The alternative would be to have a healthy, sane society, which is too ghastly to contemplate.

Posted by: MFB | Oct 26 2021 7:51 utc | 34

The American corporate media know it's very easy to bully their faux liberal head of state. You can be assured that more brain-dead sanctions would be announced against Russia for this. It's fun to watch how the US leadership is often led by the nose into disasters.

Posted by: Steve | Oct 26 2021 8:38 utc | 35

How the US regime functions since a few decades: getting rich in Office without accountability https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zY1lSqgcU

Posted by: Antonym | Oct 26 2021 9:22 utc | 36

It is about time Russia started taking punitive action against these mindless accusations (i.e. attacks on Russia). A suitable retribution would be to hack into the personal computers and devices of top executives of Microsoft, including both top corporate executives and top officials responsible for security, and low-level format all their hard disks. Likewise the editors-in-chief of propaganda outlets that vomit this crap, especially NYT and WP.

That should create a certain baseline level of fear in these officials, so that the next time something occurs they will immediately say "Whatever you do, DON'T blame Russia! I don't want my hard disk formatted again."

Problem solved.

(Then they will try blaming China and should get the same response).

Posted by: BM | Oct 26 2021 10:24 utc | 37

Posted by: MFB | Oct 26 2021 7:51 utc | 34

Exactly. That defect needs to be addressed.

Posted by: BM | Oct 26 2021 10:44 utc | 38

I dont dispute the negative role some commenters bring up about Judith Miller. But I would like to remind you about her coauthorship exposing americas biowarlabs.
Germs: Biological Weapons and America's Secret War
by Judith Miller, Stephen Engelberg and William Broad

Perhaps this was used against her later to pressure her to be a pliant tool after 9/11.

Posted by: petergrfstrm | Oct 26 2021 12:23 utc | 39

Meanwhile, as the EU/RU natural gas situation is going nowhere, the Siberia-2 pipeline takes a step, with a round of planning completed on Mongolia's side.

Here's the route. Note it comes from the Yamal region whose capacity expansion was originally planned to feed NS2.

Posted by: ptb | Oct 26 2021 15:40 utc | 40

Thanks Jay @ 9 for taking us back through the cobwebs of time. And to b for keeping us aware of the large and the small with respect to the microsoft dilemma. It is always necessary to have both in mind when creating a universe such as the internet has turned out to be (different for its creators than for we who make use of it, but nevertheless a whole striving for invulnerability at the same time as effectiveness.)

What are the ultimate aims of its creators? Knowledge and interconnection? Or is it merely control? Silly questions, I know; but there could be a usefulness in answering them while we have still the ability to ask. One doesn't have to be a fortune teller to suppose our interactions here could cease whenever the creators decide we are no longer useful, if the final answer is 'yes'. At Putin's Valdai talk several spoke the word 'samizdat'. Seeds of a new universe, perhaps.

Posted by: juliania | Oct 26 2021 16:01 utc | 41

@Hoarsewhisperer (13) Could you please explain what you mean by “Jewed-up Christians?” Sounds like a double slur to me, two for the price of one.

Posted by: Rob | Oct 26 2021 16:33 utc | 42

Jewed-up Christians

Posted by: Rob | Oct 26 2021 16:33 utc | 42

-----

"Christian" Zionists?

alleged "Christians" obsessed with the unChristian Old Testament, hence easy prey for Zionist manipulation.

Posted by: WakeyWakey | Oct 26 2021 16:40 utc | 43

those born again christians are pretty rabid for the state of israel cause it says so in the bible, lol.... i am guessing it is something about that from hoarse @ 23.. hoarse... you really know how to mess with my mind on a beautiful tune! ray charles is rolling over in his grave! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k0bKSJOywc

Posted by: james | Oct 26 2021 16:45 utc | 44

Posted by: juliania | Oct 26 2021 16:01 utc | 41

Usually I’m pleasantly surprised with your POVs, unusual as they are. I think all big inventions are intellectual exercises by a group of people that love working with their brains, but there is another group of people constantly searching for profit and great inventions become just another commodity, think Gates, how appropriate, gating the field as we say in Spanish even though it is proposed as an impossibility that Bill proved possible. The same thing could be said about radio and TV, great inventions that would bring literacy and culture to the masses, until the profit starts. Same thing happened with the internet, with one difference, the internet allows easy “samizdating” as this bar corroborates. It might take some time but eventually the MSM will be naked for all to see, they’re getting so madly unreal that I hope it will come to pass and samizdat will reign supreme. A signed copy of a famous samizdat edition is no small gift, an incunabulum, so VVP got something out of Valday since the local press has not even mentioned the event, every day they feed us with bad news from Russia, this time she is even guilty of Microsoft sloppy software.

Posted by: Paco | Oct 26 2021 16:58 utc | 45

This is weird. Yesterday, I submitted a comment to the NYT calling BS on the above-mentioned article. It was immediately accepted. This morning, I went to check on my comment to see if there had been any responses, but I was informed that the comment is "not available." Might David Sanger have personally axed it?

Posted by: Rob | Oct 27 2021 16:49 utc | 46

Posted by: Rob | Oct 26 2021 16:33 utc | 42

Jewed-up Christian Colonial Cuntries facilitated the creation of "Israel" in Palestine, beginning with the Balfour Declaration which endorsed the trope that Palestinians were sub-human (like Australian aborigines and Red Indians). The early Jewish colonists described Palestine as "A land without people for a people without a land."
Howzat for Chutzpah?

In Today's world, Western mock-democracies typically sustain a 2-party electoral system in which members of both parties are For Sale to the highest, or any other, bidder. As a consequence there are so many pro-"Israel" politicians in the 2-party West that it looks much more like a Cohen-cidence than a coincidence.

Posted by: Hoarsewhisperer | Oct 27 2021 22:44 utc | 47