July 20, 2021

China Has First World Problems

People in China have first world problems:

Peter Jolicoeur 周力克 @pajolicoe - 5:35 PM · Jul 20, 2021

My subway trip from home to Hongqiao rail station tomorrow (28 km) will take longer at 70 minutes than my high speed rail trip from Shanghai Hongqiao to Nanjing South Station at 59 minutes (295 km, averaging 300 km/h).

Who does not such hate long train rides? Well, that first world problem might be solved pretty soon:

World's first 600 km/h high-speed maglev train rolls off assembly line

China's new high-speed maglev train rolled off the production line on Tuesday. It has a designed top speed of 600 km per hour -- currently the fastest ground vehicle available globally.

The new maglev transportation system made its public debut in the coastal city of Qingdao, east China's Shandong Province.

But Peter is going to Nanjing which recently had a first world problem with Covid-19. One traveler had brought it in. Ten close contacts were identified and 140 possible contacts beyond them. All were notified, isolated and tested and Nanjing is again free of Covid. Meanwhile over 90% of all adults in Beijing have been vaccinated.

What amazes me is that some in the U.S. still think they can compete with and beat such an efficient system.

Posted by b on July 20, 2021 at 18:06 UTC | Permalink

Comments
« previous page

Posted by: Gordog | Jul 22 2021 0:56 utc | 170
"I really believe that regional air transportation could be developed much more fully. The key is you have to have separate little airports. In a lot of big cities the commuter flights will simply be jammed into a little corner of a huge mega-airport."

Gordog, you are extremely knowledgable guy, but on this issue of small regional airports I have news for you: have you heard of the airport in Mascouta Illinois? it was built for billions of dollars, but is not being used, because St. Louis Lambert airport does not like the competition!
This airport was featured some years ago as a boondogle on 60 Minutes or some other investigative TV program. This is probably happening elsewhere as well. The same problem with free capitalism, competition, monopolies, politics, is preventing the high speed rail (HSR) from being successful in USA, as Tom Q Collins describes.(and he admits that this is another topic!)
I still read your comments preferentially!

Posted by: bystander04 | Jul 22 2021 18:25 utc | 201

Oh, I’m right.
I am positive that there are zero Chinese, in China, doing what I’m doing.
(A shit ton of Chinese doing it in the US)
And it doesn’t involve gangs, hos, or crack.
A few guns here and there, but that’s security.

Point being: What I do in the US legally, is impossible in China.
And Chinese come to the US to do the exact same thing.

And in that sense, China sucks. I’d be out of work in China
That’s the truth.

Posted by: Cadence calls | Jul 22 2021 21:52 utc | 202

@ Cadence calls | Jul 22 2021 21:52 utc | 202 who wrote
"
Point being: What I do in the US legally, is impossible in China.
And Chinese come to the US to do the exact same thing.

And in that sense, China sucks. I’d be out of work in China
That’s the truth.
"

I find it interesting that you are not forthcoming about what it is exactly that you do for that God of Mammon stuff. While what you do may be legal in the US and not in China I would like to have a discussion about why that might be so but am at a loss to continue.....

Legal and moral are on different planets in the West depending on how much of the God of Mammon stuff you have and the connections/control that stuff has got you over the years....I expect and have read that legal and moral in China are much more tightly aligned and perhaps what you do falls into that area in-between.

Posted by: psychohistorian | Jul 22 2021 22:08 utc | 203

Bystander, that airport in IL is a different can of worms altogether.

It's not a commuter airport. There are flights to various cities in Florida, Arizona, Las Vegas and South Carolina---all of them vacation destinations. Those are medium-haul routes, and the airplanes are Airbus A320s.

This airport is called MidAmerica St Louis and is just 20 miles from the big St Louis airport.

This has nothing to do with regional, commuter transportation serving smaller towns that are spread out and not close to big cities.

Mostly these kinds of small town airports rely on turboprop aircraft, which are much quieter. They will have service to nearby big cities, which is quite convenient and very reasonably priced.

People DO use this. My town has several flights a day, and I often see the same faces. This is truly comfortable, hassle-free, short-hop flying. The cost is only about 25 percent more than a filthy Grayhound bus!

And again, ZERO airport hassle and intrusiveness. I'm 190 cm and normal weight and am perfectly comfortable in the turboprop for that short duration, especially. Even a couple of hours would be just fine.

The loud critics here have probably never even been on a turboprop, nor at an airport that serves them.

Yes, this is a solution for many folks, otherwise they wouldn't exist.

It's like internet access---there are lots of different options. One size doesn't fit all. Some options may not be available everywhere.

I never said anything against high speed rail. In fact it is truly a great way to travel. Ive been on the French TGV, and it's wonderful.

But, it's going to do nothing for those many out of the way towns that have no good way to commute a couple of hundred miles.

Why one should get viciously attacked for simply bringing up a perfectly viable and proven option that has existed for a long time is bizarre!

Posted by: Gordog | Jul 22 2021 22:51 utc | 204

Psychohistorian @ 203:

I should think that what Cadence Calls @ 202 is doing that s/he claims is legal in the US is not only illegal in China but is also illegal in most other parts of the world.

Anyway, why would Chinese people living in the US need to buy guns for security if the US is a better country than China?

Posted by: Jen | Jul 22 2021 23:19 utc | 205

Jen @205--

That's a massive bell-ringing line of reasoning that ought to send that ground-pounder out for a 50-miler!!!

Posted by: karlof1 | Jul 23 2021 0:02 utc | 206

Ahh, you need security when the business demands it.
That’s because the security of the business is paramount.
Any sane person understands that.
We aren’t selling potatoes.

The fact that the Chinese communist govt prohibits my business has everything to do with my argument.
I can run my business legally in the US.
In China I might be executed by the state for doing the same thing.
And maybe my family would be subject to imprisonment as well.
Use your imagination. I’m not gonna hold your hand as you try to figure out why China sucks compared to the US.

Yeah, I want to make money.
Don’t you?
And I can do that in the US without fearing capital punishment.
You guys need to get off your intellectual high horses, and start understanding what working people are dealing with.

Posted by: Cadence Calls | Jul 23 2021 1:20 utc | 207

@ cadence calls... the last line @ 207 gives you away.. thanks... mr top secret who does and doesn't want a conversation, lol... you're quite funny actually..

Posted by: james | Jul 23 2021 1:36 utc | 208

@ Cadence Calls | Jul 23 2021 1:20 utc | 207 who wrote
"
Yeah, I want to make money.
Don’t you?
And I can do that in the US without fearing capital punishment.
"

You extoll the God of Mammon religion
I don't
Fear of capital punishment does not explain the moral argument
I understand that it is clear that some of the ideologues posting here have probably never worked for a living but I assure you I paid into the US Social Security Insurance program for over 40 years before getting sideswiped by a SUV riding my bicycle...and made mostly unemployable in what I was doing.

About that security being paramount assertion for a business. Lets put some context on that.

Computer security instead of physical/military, right?

Since when does security become more important than the business purpose?
If your "potatoes" product needs special legality and paramount computer security then it makes sense that it violates some human laws and morals somewhere and your morals are tied to the God of Mammon religion that has brought humanity of the West to this un-civilized point of "evolution"....you just don't want to be called on your barbaric participation in our humanity.....because money is your god, how sad.

Posted by: psychohistorian | Jul 23 2021 1:49 utc | 209

Thanks James
It’s tippy top secret
I enjoy ruffling the feathers with my nonsense,

And I’m very spiritual, with my potatoes.
Very connected to the land. It’s my families livelihood
I suggest all bar customers dig a hole or two, or 99, and get a grip on who they are, and what the US provides.

Posted by: Cadence calls | Jul 23 2021 2:56 utc | 210

The sanctimony of posters here is laughable.
I imagine psycho isn’t raising any kids right now.?
Just an old man with nobody who cares about him, and nothing to do but spit his bullshit on a blog.
Same with karloft. Another old man with nobody to listen to his philosophy, except us here at the bar.

Take a look back, old men, to when you were virile and affective.
How did you feel about you and your peers when they were trying to come up, raise a family, and create a legacy?

Now, you’re old and your sword is dull.
Maybe you could move to China, where the culture respects old, wasted men.
The US is below your intellectual status.
China sucks compared to the US.

Posted by: Cadence | Jul 23 2021 3:09 utc | 211

@ Cadence | Jul 23 2021 3:09 utc | 211 who loses the argument because of those things called details.

Your claim of China sucking compared to the US lacks this thing called substance so far. And your personal attacks say more about you than the recipients....but you are correct in that the odds seems to indicate that you may be around to reap the "benefits" of the sown private finance led form of social organization....

Posted by: psychohistorian | Jul 23 2021 3:33 utc | 213

A couple of thoughts on Trains vs aircraft for China. One is population density as has been mentioned, but the other is energy. Aircraft require jet fuel from imported oil whereas trains can be electric. I think China still imports a little thermal coal but from what I can see I think they are working on phasing that out.

Posted by: Peter AU1 | Jul 23 2021 4:05 utc | 214

@ 210 cadence calls.... thanks.. i suspect you are growing pot which is now legal in a number of places in the usa and canada... i have friends who do the same... meanwhile i will indeed stick to the potatoes - and beans, squash, corn and etc... good luck in your adventures.. keep an open mind... nothing is ever as simple and clear cut as it might seem...

Posted by: james | Jul 23 2021 4:13 utc | 215

You are very close to the point, James
And I have seen many old timers in this business fall over to the left, AFTER they made their money and secured their land for their families. They couldn’t do that in China. And it’s hard to listen to. I’m trying to come up. Just like they did.

But they aren’t all lefty twisted. I’m just seeing more of it because the people I deal with are older.
It’s as if the bourgeoisie in my business want to put their past, in the past, and forget about how they made their money.
They don’t like to talk about growing potatoes anymore.

MANY landowners who make potatoes here draw state pensions, gimmes, and bennys
And they don’t like to talk about it.
They also

Posted by: Cadence Calls | Jul 23 2021 5:24 utc | 216

And Mammon worshiping?
I have to pay bills, dumbass.
Mortgages, power, fuel, repairs, materials., etc
On and on. Insurance, state regulatory fees, licensing, on and on
And the whole point is to make a profit.
Duh
What fucking world do you guys live in, where you can just be philosophers on the internet?

Posted by: Cadence calls | Jul 23 2021 5:41 utc | 217

217 "I have to pay bills, dumbass.
Mortgages, power, fuel, repairs, materials., etc
On and on. Insurance, state regulatory fees, licensing, on and on
And the whole point is to make a profit."

And you think you live in a better place?

Posted by: Peter AU1 | Jul 23 2021 8:22 utc | 218

US happily shipped all its jobs off to China. The Chinese people across the board are doing well out of bit. Millions of Chinese being lifted out of poverty (no need for them to grow pot) and Americans are dropping into poverty. I guess the Chinese would have other ideas on who the dumb asses are when they see Americans struggling to make a living say they are better off.

Posted by: Peter AU1 | Jul 23 2021 8:40 utc | 219

A snub at Boeing?

Airbus begins A350 deliveries in China

--//--

About the inherent elitist nature of air travel:

Is air rage caused by class warfare?

Posted by: vk | Jul 23 2021 14:03 utc | 220

re: vk | Jul 23 2021 14:03 utc | 220

Ever heard of 1st class, 2nd class, 3rd class on trains vk?

Cadence you show a narrowly US-centric view, however I do agree that China's official attitude to da ma, cannabis is fucking appalling as is also the view of some other so-called "resistance" countries.

Have a read of this shit from Cuba https://www.unodc.org/documents/commissions/CND/CND_Sessions/CND_63Reconvened/statements/02Dec_partI/Cuba.pdf

And from the ringleader Russia, "On behalf of Algeria, Angola, Bahrain, Belarus, Burkina Faso, China, Cuba, Egypt,
Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kyrgyz Republic, Libya, Namibia,
Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestine, Philippines, Russian Federation, Singapore, Sri Lanka,
Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan, the Bolivarian Republic of
Venezuela"

Hey, put something else in your fucking cigarette papers Sergei (and Maria Kalinka might to loosen up with a few puffs too)! https://t.me/MariaVladimirovnaZakharova/423

( https://kenzi.zemou.li/cndmonitor-results/ )

I brought this up at https://www.moonofalabama.org/2020/12/open-thread-2020-95/comments/page/1/#comments
and
and got a few responses.

c1ue showed a problematic aspect of his/her/?s personality

Posted by: tucenz | Jul 23 2021 20:24 utc | 221

@ tucenz | Jul 23 2021 20:24 utc | 221 with the current world view of marijuana/cannabis

It has been a hoot talking to the brainwashed anti-marijuana folks after cannabanoid receptors have been found in our bodies...they have been there a long time

As much as some science folk are saying that those cannabanoid receptors came to us by magic, it doesn't take much common sense to understand that as mammals we chewed on a lot of plants and to think marijuana was not one, if not a major one, is a bit delusional, IMO.

It is understandable to me why it is out of favor in China with the history of the opium wars.

Posted by: psychohistorian | Jul 23 2021 23:00 utc | 222

« previous page

Verify your Comment

Previewing your Comment

This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

Working...
Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
Your comment has been posted. Post another comment

The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.

Working...