April 04, 2021

Happy Easter

Today we celebrate the Roman-Christian equivalent of Nowruz, the festivity that welcomes spring and with it the resurrection of life.

bigger

My personal Easter ritual, inherited from my father, is to read out loud, and then take, the Easter Walk from Johann Wolfgang von Goethe's, Faust, Part I:

Look from this height whereon we find us
Back to the town we have left behind us,

Where from the dark and narrow door
Forth a motley multitude pour.

They sun themselves gladly and all are gay,
They celebrate Christ's resurrection to-day.

For have not they themselves arisen?
From smoky huts and hovels and stables,
From labor's bonds and traffic's prison,
From the confinement of roofs and gables,
From many a cramping street and alley,
From churches full of the old world's night,
All have come out to the day's broad light.
How it hums o'er the fields and clangs from the steeple!
This is the real heaven of the people,
Both great and little are merry and gay,
I am a man, too, I can be, to-day.

bigger

Happy Easter!

Posted by b on April 4, 2021 at 8:16 UTC | Permalink

Comments

Happy Easter.

Good wishes for the Spring, Summer and year ahead.

« This is the real heaven of the people »

Posted by: jonku | Apr 4 2021 8:27 utc | 1

Happy Easter

Posted by: DG | Apr 4 2021 8:38 utc | 2

Happy Easter

Posted by: MG | Apr 4 2021 9:02 utc | 3

Happy Easter comrades. Peace for all please.

Posted by: uncle tungsten | Apr 4 2021 10:07 utc | 4

Happy Easter!

Posted by: john | Apr 4 2021 10:20 utc | 5

A very Happy Easter to you all
for now and far beyond this moment.

Posted by: Stonebird | Apr 4 2021 10:32 utc | 6

Enjoy your walk b. Peace to all.

Posted by: Some Random Passerby | Apr 4 2021 11:09 utc | 7

A happy Easter indeed!

Thank you for the Goethe poem - the reading of it and the walk are a great tradition to have. :)

Posted by: Hope | Apr 4 2021 11:10 utc | 8

I've been playing the easter bunny (or flying easter bells or any mashup thereof) for many years, getting up early in the morning to hide chocolate eggs in the garden. Then the kids would start their day with a search party. Over the years the eggs became harder to find, then I switched to making the scenes more interesting and decorative, so it evolved into a more grownup event. It might go on for a while longer as long as I can keep people interested. Next year may be about tree climbing.

Posted by: Tuyzentfloot | Apr 4 2021 11:46 utc | 10

Really looking forward to hear B's take as well as views of site regulars on the trouble in Jordan.

Posted by: Illusionist | Apr 4 2021 12:52 utc | 11

Bill Holter explains, “If you look at everything, nothing is natural. Everything is contrived. We are lied to about pretty much everything 24/7. They lied about everything regarding Covid. They have lied about the election. They are lying about the unemployment rate. They are lying about inflation. They are lying about the true amount of total debt outstanding. They are lying about everything.” And they are certainly lying about man-made global warming.

Posted by: Kiza | Apr 4 2021 14:03 utc | 12

Blessed Easter.

Again, the Lord, in his infinite love and patience, calls to his lackluster children, sojoured on the great docks:

"All aboard."

Posted by: NemesisCalling | Apr 4 2021 14:40 utc | 13

Happy Easter to all

Thanks Bernard (aka 'b') for the beautiful message and images.

!!

Posted by: Jackrabbit | Apr 4 2021 14:47 utc | 14

happy easter b and the folks here at moa!

@ john.. you shared that last year if memory serves correctly! thanks... listening now.. it's a cool piece...

Posted by: james | Apr 4 2021 15:14 utc | 15

Seems to me that only Pharaoh has resurrected

Posted by: Mina | Apr 4 2021 15:31 utc | 16

Thank you for the exquisite art. The basket of flowers inspires me as much as the poem. Best wishes.

Posted by: Sady | Apr 4 2021 17:17 utc | 17

james @ 15

Yeah james, thanks for remembering! It's a beautiful piece...with that mesmerizing arpeggio throughout...

...a real tear-jerker .

Posted by: john | Apr 4 2021 17:50 utc | 18

Happy Easter to all. This message of renewal is always inspiring.

Posted by: Copeland | Apr 4 2021 18:07 utc | 19

Happy western Easter! (For Orthdoxy it is the 3rd Sunday of Lent, the Sunday of the Cross, but then, all Sundays in Orthodoxy are Easter, so are not counted as lenten days.)

Here in New Mexico we are having a heat wave, and I saw my first swallow yesterday.

Posted by: juliania | Apr 4 2021 19:43 utc | 20

@ 18 john.... here is one of my favourite zappa songs done by his son... i'm disappointed the posters don't give the musician line up.. great players
here - blessed relief..

Posted by: james | Apr 4 2021 20:36 utc | 21

My wishes as expressed by a genius german with a famous pole featuring on vocals
or if you like it longer
or maybe live

Posted by: tucenz | Apr 5 2021 1:24 utc | 22

@ 22 tucenz .. that is a fascinating track of music.. thanks... quite original! reminds me a bit of vangelis the greek composer..

Posted by: james | Apr 5 2021 1:48 utc | 23

Happy Easter Shopping Festival!
I'm quite disappointed with Christianity - to put it mildly.
When my kids were little, their mother decided it was time to have then Christened. I persuaded her to allow them to choose what religion they want to be when they're old enough to investigate the options and decide for themselves. Imagine my horror when I learnt, 2 years ago, that they'd all been 'taught' about the Holocaust at primary school?
How effing sleazy, I thought.
When I asked the offspring who brought me up to speed on this revolting development whether she was 'taught' that the Holocaust Survivors have been Holocausting Palestinians for 70+ years, she said "We weren't told about that."

So, despite my meagre efforts to protect my children from religion's Pie In The Sky horse shit, they were taught the Holocaust Religion without my knowledge or consent. Howzat?! So, anyone who thinks Oz isn't a Jewed-up Christian Colonial Cuntry should think again.

On a lighter note, 7 of my friends, relatives and acquaintances have slipped off the coil in the past 2 years and not one of them has kept me up to date with how their "resurrection" is unfolding - like all the other dead people I used to know.

So Happy Easter!
And may all your Cathedrals become Used Car Yards or Gucci Stores.

Posted by: Hoarsewhisperer | Apr 5 2021 1:55 utc | 24

Whilst it's fun to blame the NYT, FT, Wapo and Rupert Murdoch for all the drivel that masquerades as "News" in the 21st Century, we shouldn't forget that the peddlers of religion did all the hard Gullible-ising Fairy Story work before the Great, Great Grandparents of anyone alive to-day was born. So we can blame our own gullibility on the Inherited Gullibility of our forebears - and forgive them. And try to mend ourselves, and each other.

Posted by: Hoarsewhisperer | Apr 5 2021 2:20 utc | 25

Hoarsewhisperer, I don't quite understand why you do not accept the historical record that even Germans understand is part of their history, just as Americans understand the legacy of Horoshima, both horrific events, but they happened.

Perhaps the following can help you see that there really is just that history which all of us live in and cope with, some better and some worse. There is no gullibility about it, really there isn't. There are simply choices to make all along the way, for better or worse. You can teach your children a bit more of our world history if you read the following account:

Posted by: juliania | Apr 5 2021 2:46 utc | 26

Juliana, I don't speak for anyone other than myself, when I say my concern with children being taught about the holocaust is not because it didn't happen, but that there have been genocides before (Armenia) at the same time (Romanys) and since: non-compliant with amerika Indochinese 'Hill people' & then Yemenis plus uncounted & uncountable clans across Africa who are not taught about in 'western' schools.
The holocaust is always emphasised in a way that suggests it was a motive for war with the Nazis when in fact both amerika and england did everything they could to play down nazi treatment of jews until after the end of ww2 when the winners were searching for reasons to 'prove' ww2 was a conflict between good & evil. The initial deceits by Chamberlain, Churchill and Roosevelt were essential if both nations were able to continue to accept european jewry as refugees. Those hypocrites lied to the citizens about what nazis were up to until it suited them, then they beat it up for all it was worth.
Worse is the way that the holocaust has been used by the occupiers of Palestine as an excuse for their cruel & illegal treatment of Palestinians even though there was no Palestinian complicity in the holocaust.

Teach about genocide sure, but it must be objective and focus on all examples rather than cherry-picked & distorted propaganda.

Posted by: Debsisdead | Apr 5 2021 6:56 utc | 27

27 should read ' . . . were able to continue refusing to accept european jewry as refugees'.

Posted by: Debsisdead | Apr 5 2021 6:59 utc | 28

OT

james, the Zappa lineup in 2011, the video you posted, was most likely the following players.

I saw an earlier show at the Orpheum, where Steve Vai and Terry Bozzio did guest spots (very fast playing from both these youngish lunatics).

The show I saw was MC'd and sung by Napoleon Murphy Brock, flawlessly. He also played sax and perhaps flute.

It was worth the price of the two tickets I had bought, my wife was out of town so I traded them to a scalper for one seat in the 2nd or 3rd row. The big payoff for me was hearing a live version of Peaches En Regalia, a full-on orchestral onslaught of a piece, which has always reminded me of Aaron Copeland, another 20th century composer. That exhausts my musical reference capability.

It was a killer show, a large band of expert electric musicians playing music they love, correctly as to the score written by Frank. In the Orpheum, an old-school proper theatre with great acoustics. And they played Peaches! "La da da da, da da da." Like driving or riding your bicycle downhill through a thronging crowd, avoiding buses, dropped ice cream cones, past throngs of bystanders cheering at something else. In bright sunshine.

Here's my best guess at the touring members at that time, Not sure about the woman flautist, I think I remember her from the show I saw around 2006.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zappa_Plays_Zappa)

Dweezil Zappa of course, the bandleader

Aaron Arntz – keyboards, trumpet, vocals (2006–2009)
Pete Griffin – bass (2006–2011)
Joe Travers – drums, vocals (2006–2013)
Billy Hulting – marimba, mallets, percussions (2006–2013)
Jamie Kime – rhythm guitar (2006–2013)
Ben Thomas – lead vocals, trumpet, trombone, rhythm guitar (2009–2016)
Chris Norton – keyboards, violin, percussion, vocals (2010–2019)
Scott Thunes – bass, vocals (2012)
Mikki Hommel – vocals (2016)
Cian Coey – vocals (2016–2019)
David Luther – saxophone, guitar, keyboards, vocals (2016-2017)

Posted by: jonku | Apr 5 2021 8:28 utc | 29

re: james | Apr 5 2021 1:48 utc | 23

I've loved that track for years, but have never thought of Vangelis (and still don't!) - maybe some Aphrodite's Child?..

james, you are a drummer, are you familiar with Krautrock? Holger Czukay was a part of Can.
Another one from him, this is for fyi

Posted by: tucenz | Apr 5 2021 12:19 utc | 30

I knew it! Moonofa is really a covert forum for Zappa fans! I never really paid attention to Dweezil's group though I'm sufficiently hardcore to enjoy stuff like these rehearsals.

Posted by: Tuyzentfloot | Apr 5 2021 13:35 utc | 31

Thanks, debsisdead, but I wasn't talking about genocide, which I agree with Hoarsewhisperer would be a huge and negative subject for children, in school or out. I was rather, I thought, relating to b's poem at the beginning of this thread, which is how my link ends (scroll to the bottom). And not to worry, Hoarsewhisperer, as my children were baptized early on; it hasn't prevented them from going their own way as they grew up. They will sort things out for themselves, you may be sure; we all do.

Posted by: juliania | Apr 5 2021 15:21 utc | 32

@ jonku | Apr 5 2021 8:28 utc | 29.. thanks for that jonku! i had a few friends that were at the show in vancouver.. they also played in victoria, but i didn't see them, although i heard the shows were both great.. i don't recognize any of those musician names! there sure are a lot of unknown musicians in the world today! however i did get to see frank zappa back in the 80's when he did a show at the agrodome on the pne grounds.. it was one of the best live shows i ever saw.. phenomenal musicianship and compositions..chad wackermann was on drums who i got to meet when i played in a back opening for alan holdsworth in the 90's.. it was a period where zappa was more into the music and less into the kinky humour. - mothers of invention stuff.. very cool you got to hear them play that tune off the hot rats album - peaches en regalia... i have played that tune in a big band context... all the songs off hot rats are great!

@ tucenz | Apr 5 2021 12:19 utc | 30.. thanks and yes i am a drummer, but unfamiliar with krautrock, or is that just a quick term for german rock??.. i knew of kraftwerk though... vangelis was the guy with aphrodite's child - yes... listening to this 2nd track you've shared.. it is cool too.. different... i like the vocals which sound a bit like vocals from india.. thanks!

@Tuyzentfloot | Apr 5 2021 13:35 utc | 31... john and i are into zappa.. john more then me, but i really appreciate and admire his innovation and talent regardless!

Posted by: james | Apr 6 2021 2:28 utc | 33

re: james | Apr 6 2021 2:28 utc | 33

a definition of Krautrock? Google is your friend!

Here are some wonderful examples from Can. Holger Czukay is the bass player.

Posted by: tucenz | Apr 6 2021 10:57 utc | 34

And to be clear what I meant by "...Another one from him, this is for fyi"

@ tucenz | Apr 5 2021 12:19 utc | 30

is -

Another one from him [Holger Czukay], this [song, Persian Love] is for [commenter] fyi [and other Iranians who read MOA].

Posted by: tucenz | Apr 6 2021 11:08 utc | 35

Posted by: juliania | Apr 5 2021 2:46 utc | 26

Dear Juliania,

Thank you for your remarks. I don't dispute that The Jew's Favourite Holocaust happened but I do query the OFFICIAL version. Their claim that Hitler hated Jews for no reason NEVER made sense to me, even as a kid. All the Germans I knew back then were nice people, and I didn't believe that they'd hate Jews, or anyone else, for no reason.

Here's a brief essay from an ex-Jew who explains WHY Hitler hated Jews. It's only a 3-minute read but it fills all the 'gaps' in the Story Of The Holocaust.
Its focus is the front page of the Daily Express Newspaper from March 24, 1933. That's the day Jews, in USA, declared a Jewish Boycott of Germany. It also scuttles the notion that Hitler/Germany hated Jews for no reason.

I'd like the Head Jew to explain to all and sundry why the Jews in America didn't warn the Jews in Germany BEFORE they declared the boycott?
Or was it actually that particular omission which "happened for no reason?"

Posted by: Hoarsewhisperer | Apr 6 2021 16:43 utc | 36

@ tucenz | Apr 6 2021 10:57 utc | 34... thanks tucenz for all this and yes - i was telling someone here at moa that very same thing - google is your friend, but i forgot to take my own advice, lol! cheers james ps - the persian love track is quite nice!

Posted by: james | Apr 6 2021 16:58 utc | 37