February 24, 2021

Censorship Gone Bonkers - 'Be A Good Citizen!'

Yesterday the censorship department at Twitter went bonkers.

Twitter Safety blogged:

Disclosing networks of state-linked information operations

Today we are disclosing four networks of accounts to our archive of state-linked information operations; the only archive of its kind in the industry. The networks we are disclosing relate to independent, state-affiliated information operations that we have attributed to Armenia, Russia and a previously disclosed network from Iran.
Russia

Today we’re disclosing two separate networks that have Russian ties.

1. Our first investigation found and removed a network of 69 fake accounts that can be reliably tied to Russian state actors. A number of these accounts amplified narratives that were aligned with the Russian government, while another subset of the network focused on undermining faith in the NATO alliance and its stability.

Be a good citizen!

Do not amplify narratives that are aligned with the Russian government.

Do not undermine faith in the NATO alliance and its stability.

Do not amplify narratives that are aligned with the Russian government.

Do not undermine faith in the NATO alliance and its stability.

Do not amplify narratives that are aligned with the Russian government.

Do not undermine faith in the NATO alliance and its stability.

Do not amplify narratives that are aligned with the Russian government.

Do not undermine faith in the NATO alliance and its stability.

Do not amplify narratives that are aligned with the Russian government.

Do not undermine faith in the NATO alliance and its stability.

Do not amplify narratives that are aligned with the Russian government.

Do not undermine faith in the NATO alliance and its stability.

Do not amplify narratives that are aligned with the Russian government.

Do not undermine faith in the NATO alliance and its stability.

Do not amplify narratives that are aligned with the Russian government.

Do not undermine faith in the NATO alliance and its stability.

Do not amplify narratives that are aligned with the Russian government.

Do not undermine faith in the NATO alliance and its stability.

Do not amplify narratives that are aligned with the Russian government.

Do not undermine faith in the NATO alliance and its stability.

Everyone got that now?

Also this:

Aaron Maté @aaronjmate - 18:53 UTC · Feb 23, 2021

Twitter adds a warning to @MaxBlumenthal's report in @TheGrayzoneNews on leaked UK gov't files (https://thegrayzone.com/2021/02/20/reuters..) exposing a major propaganda campaign targeting Russia: "These materials may have been obtained through hacking."

Is this warning applied equally? I doubt it.

bigger

The warning is of course not applied equally. Neither do 'Uighur' stories based on hacked papers from China censored nor do 'Navalny poison' stories based on hacked data from Russia get a 'hacked materials' warning.

Unfortunately even tweets which links to the Moon of Alabama piece on the 'hacked' British documents do not get such marks.

That's too bad because Twitter's 'hacked material' insert created a Streisand effect and the such marked Grayzone story went viral.

The censors did not like that. Some twenty hours after the 'hacked materials' insert on tweets to that story was first applied it vanished.

I have, by the way, no idea if the British material was hacked or if it comes from a whistle blower. Neither is that important. The material is genuine and it is full of information which the British authorities want to hide but which that the global public deserves to know. That is the only thing that is important for publishing it.

Posted by b on February 24, 2021 at 15:16 UTC | Permalink

Comments
« previous page

lizard @ 96

Talk to my neighbors? Are you an American? I am in a hotspot of covid morality. Outdoors, walking or riding my bike, passersby will cross the street to avoid my unmasked face. Some literally run away in terror. On the bike rolling along at 5 or 6 meters per second and mostly on a different track than where pedestrians are, I will occasionally be within 1.5 meters of someone for less than 0.1 seconds. Many take that as akin to an assault with anthrax. Attempting to talk to family is beyond pointless. This place has no community, no agora, no res publica.

The only slightly encouraging behavior seen around here is that at the grocery most have accepted it is not possible to walk the aisles and maintain six feet. But talk to someone? It would get you thrown out of the store or earn a visit from police.

Posted by: oldhippie | Feb 25 2021 15:04 utc | 101

@ oldhippie | Feb 25 2021 13:11 utc | 90

Thank you, you speak the truth! I can't believe how compliant people are. This crime is on a scale requiring a Nuremberg style trial for the responsible and the followers.

Posted by: Norwegian | Feb 25 2021 15:47 utc | 102

"Now, about ideologies. My feeling is, there are always hundreds of various ideologies flying around. The establishment will pick a suitable one, shine it up in think-tanks, and go with it. It'll become the dominant ideology. Until it doesn't suffice anymore, and then they'll replace it with another. But that's all bullshit. Pwogwessivism, liberalism, social democracy, the third way, whatever. No need to pay attention."

All these bullshit ideologies are nothing more than different political masks and pretexts to rationalize the SAME underlying system: Anglo American Empire and its capitalist world order.

Today, however, the globally dominant bullshit ideology is called: Anglo/Western Liberal Democracy.

This bullshit ideology has become globally dominant since the end of the (first) Cold War and the destruction of communism as a political alternative.

Hence, we have reached the End of History (as Francis Fukuyama once proclaimed) and There Is No Alternative (TINA) to Anglo/Western crapitalist democracies.

All nations that do NOT conform to Anglo/Western crapitalist democracy thus must be brought to heel and colonized--by military invasion and conquest; economic siege warfare and sanctions; political regime change and balkanization; or Two Minutes of Hate media campaigns.

And any heretic (including even Twitter accounts) who undermines faith in this Anglo American World Order or its military mafia like NATO must be excommunicated or cancelled.

In terms of their messianic delusions and fundamentalism, these Western democracy crusaders of today have far surpassed their Christian crusader ancestors.

Never forget the First Commandment: Thou Shalt Worship No God but the god of Anglo American Democracy!

Posted by: ak74 | Feb 25 2021 15:51 utc | 103

lizard @96

You get another response about local power structure. Because it has general interest. I am in Evanston.The town and the university are hobbies for Lester Crown. More generally Chicago is a Crown fiefdom. Daleys, Pritzkers, whoever gets talked about openly, they all work for Crown. Crown outright owns General Dynamics, is a principal in JP Morgan Chase. Owns Aspen, Aspen Institute, all sorts of misc holdings. And Lester married the mob. You want to know why banks behave like gangsters, it is because they had a merger. The Army McCarthy hearings were about Lester’s brother-in-law. Roy Cohn owed his career to Lester. Barack Obama had all kinds of good connections and good family, it was Lester and his servant Bill Daley who elevated Obama.

If any were able to mess with this family they would be messing with the mob. Do you understand Chicago politics now? Chicago is not beginning and end of US politics, it is where Obama and Hillary are from. And many others. Local politics means get on your knees spread your cheeks. Yes I know local power structure.

Posted by: oldhippie | Feb 25 2021 15:58 utc | 104

Working my way back from "the greystone" article illustrating this good piece of muckrackung from "b", I arrived at this article:
The photo illustration heading that article purports to show a young mainland Chinese policeman (who looks swarthy and neither of Hàn nor Uyghur Chinese facial appearance in front of a group of presumed Uyghurs with Uighur caps (albeit some with Uzbek headdress).
The young swarthy policeman has the four letters S W A P across his upper right-hand officer's uniform.
I would not expect a Chinese police in Xīnjiāng to have this North Americanism so blatantly spelled out on his uniform (in Xinjiang, local police some times have Uighur writing on their uniforms in addition to Chines language logographs, in my remembrance)
So my guess is that this photo opportunity took place somewhere in the otherwise Arabic-speaking lands of West Asia.
Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Millions of Leaked Police Files Detail Suffocating Surveillance of China’s Uyghur Minority

Posted by: Tollef Ås اس طلف | Feb 25 2021 16:04 utc | 105

@vk, that's 'political systems' you're talking about now, not ideology. Another category of bullshit, where, for example, many monarchies (UK, Spain, Denmark) are classified as 'democracies'.

The width of the overton window a political system allows is also, ultimately, a function of economics. In prosperous times the spectrum of acceptable opinions is wider, but as the times get hard they start tightening the screws. Naturally.

And I don't see ideologies competing against each other in the US (or anywhere in the west, really), unless the difference of up or down 3% in income taxes (or in minimum wage, or some such) counts for different ideologies. It's the post-political period we live in.

Although it seems to be changing now. With Donald Trump it certainly felt different.

Posted by: Mao Cheng Ji | Feb 25 2021 16:04 utc | 106

Perhaps it is not the main issue, but I found it weird that anyone undermined "faith in NATO alliance and its stability.". What is this stability issue? I recall that Trump was very offended by a supposition that he is unstable, and after a resolute defense of himself he was derided for a while as a "very stable genius". Is NATO a "very stable and brilliant alliance"? Just the inner thoughts of the Lords of Twitter, or something that actually circulates as a position/claim?

Another puzzle is that most derided Western institution seems IMF, more than NATO, but Lords of Twitter left the defense of IMF for later.

Posted by: Piotr Berman | Feb 25 2021 16:26 utc | 107

Posted by: vk | Feb 25 2021 12:04 utc | 84 Weren't they the anti-vaxxers/COVID-19 denial during this pandemic?

Nope. You mean globalresearch.ca

Posted by: vato | Feb 25 2021 16:27 utc | 108

Not the Onion--- socially distanced High school students at band practice at Wenatchee, Washington state

Posted by: gm | Feb 25 2021 16:35 utc | 109

I would not expect a Chinese police in Xīnjiāng to have this North Americanism so blatantly spelled out on his uniform (in Xinjiang, local police some times have Uighur writing on their uniforms in addition to Hàn-Chinese language logographs, in my remembrance)
Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Posted by: Tollef Ås اس طلف | Feb 25 2021 16:38 utc | 110

Ooohhpss! "Grayzone", mister Ås, not 'graystone' -- nor gravesone either, as yet...

Posted by: Oū Sī / 區司/ Usman | Feb 25 2021 16:46 utc | 111

Posted by: Tollef Ås اس طلف | Feb 25 2021 16:38 utc | 110

This may come as news to you but we are all under "Suffocating Surveillance".

The Uighurs are nothing special.

Posted by: Arch Bungle | Feb 25 2021 17:04 utc | 112

vetinLA | Feb 24 2021 20:57 utc | 42

Who needs outright censorship when you can just willy-nilly change a words meaning? Or, is that just another form of censorship?

You mean like the way the meaning of the meaning of "left"(wing) and "Right"(wing) have been altered? That is really annoying! It makes political discussion almost impossible!

Posted by: foolisholdman | Feb 25 2021 17:14 utc | 113

Dear "Foolisholdman":
"Into this universe,
why not knowing,
we come like water,
willy nilly flowing."
"You sometimes wonder:
whither hurried wence.
The master answered:
Hither hurried hence"
Omar the tentmailer (Omär Khayyâm)
In Ftgeralds fourth translation.
TAMÂM SHOD!

Posted by: Tollef Ås اس طلف | Feb 25 2021 17:41 utc | 114

Twitter is self destructing in a quite admirable fashion. The more it tries to censor things the more it fails.

Posted by: Biswapriya Purkayast | Feb 25 2021 17:47 utc | 115

An excellent example of censorship exists in the treatment of China by Western media and governments. China has announced the eradication of extreme poverty at a very prominent ceremony held today. Anyone read or hear of this outstanding accomplishment? I thought not. As the Global Times editor writes today:

"At the international level, China's declaration of eliminating absolute poverty in the country coincided with the climax of fierce attacks on China's human rights by the Five Eyes alliance countries such as the US, the UK, and Canada as well as some other Western countries. When the US and other countries are playing up 'political and human rights' in China, China has made concrete achievements in eliminating poverty. While the US death toll from the COVID-19 epidemic has reached 500,000, China has successfully protected its own people. This is an unprecedented collision between 'saying' and 'doing' in the field of human rights.

"Poverty can be seen as the root cause of human rights violations....

"The construction of human rights in China, a country with a huge population, is complicated. Those 'small Western countries' always set the agenda for China and tell China what to do. Don't they think it's ridiculous? Is there a more important human rights agenda in the world than lifting 100 million people out of poverty in eight years?" [My Emphasis]

The editor is 100% correct. And as one commentator notes in the first linked article, it's the policy choices and dedication to their being fulfilled that's most important. China puts its people first; Western nations put their bankers and related elite first and the people last, and that's THE fundamental basis for the conflict between Collectivist nations and those run by Neoliberal Parasites. And it's there that we find the explanation for the censorship and outright lies and distortions directed against China, along with the censorship within the West.

Posted by: karlof1 | Feb 25 2021 17:52 utc | 116

Insanity by redefinition of words...

I heard that phrase in the '70s...and often it comes to mind, especially when the latest twist seeems far removed from its derivation....i.e. when it first was coined;that's when its author specifically "defined" it.

Example "education" derived from "to lead out". Modern meanings just sow confusion and...insanity.

Posted by: chu teh | Feb 25 2021 17:53 utc | 117

We can safely say that the censorship department at Twitter is State accredited, which makes it a totalitarian endeavour, by definition, but censorship 'going bonkers' certainly shouldn't imply that there are more innocuous forms.

Posted by: john | Feb 25 2021 17:56 utc | 118

Lizard@96,

I don’t agree with b’s views on COVID either, Lizard. But I agree with him on just about everything else he posts — which is why I give him a huge pass on COVID.

Yves at NC is also a bit of a coviphobe and I try not to use it against her as well. But since I don’t agree with her on many things these days, which is becoming increasingly more so over time, it’s much harder for me to restrain myself whenever she posts an overly fear-mongering story about COVID. However, after reminding myself that Yves is rather sickly and lives with a sickly mom, then I know to hold back on criticizing her views on COVID.

I doubt that b is nearly as sickly Yves is, not even close, but I do sense that he’s someone who gets sick fairly easily or often. Which is why I also hold back on criticizing his views on COVID as well.

Do understand that I am someone who’s blessed with good health and who doesn’t catch the flu or colds very easily or often — which I suspect it’s also the case with you. On top of that, I’m a hospital nurse who’s worked DIRECTLY with acutely and critically ill patients ever since day one of the pandemic, so my views on COVID are about as realistic as they come.

My views are particularly realistic given that I don’t work on a designated COVID floor where the most sickly COVID patients are located. Nor do I work with patients who are totally free of COVID. A lot of the patients I work with are allowed to come to my non-COVID floor even if their COVID test is still pending or they “persistently” test positive for the virus. In fact, there’s been numerous instances where a patient was directly admitted to my non-COVID floor who was showing obvious signs of having COVID but remained there until their test came back positive, which can take up to 18 hours. Despite that, and despite only wearing a simple mask, not one nurse on my floor, including myself, has ever caught the virus after being exposed to any of these COVID-positive patients on our floor.

Just the other day, for instance, a patient with a slight fever and cough was admitted to my floor from the ER before his COVID test resulted. Eight hours later it came back positive. And since he was symptomatic and newly diagnosed, he had to be transferred to a COVID floor, which took another 4 to 5 for that to happen. Which meant that I and other nurses like myself were exposed to COVID for 12 hours without wearing full protection! Did we make a big fuss about it? Hell no! Did any of us go out and immediately get tested and go into lockdown over this? Again, hell no!

As I see it, being in close contact with COVID patients and especially without wearing full protection, day in and day out, has allowed me to gain a more realistic view on COVID — something which I imagine is hard to do if you’re not in my shoes. So here’s my suggestion to people like b and Yves: put yourself in my shoes for a while and you too can gain a more realistic view on the virus. Do what I do, day after day, and believe me, any irrational and overblown fears of COVID you’re having will quickly fade away.

Posted by: Cynthia | Feb 25 2021 18:20 utc | 119

oldhippie | Feb 25 2021 15:58 utc | 104

re Lester Crown, et al...Marvellous data points.

Posted by: chu teh | Feb 25 2021 18:23 utc | 120

Lots of stabs being made at a definition for Neoliberalism. The following is from Hudson's J is for Junk Economics, pgs 167-8:

"Neoliberalism: An ideology to absolve banks, landlords and monopolists from accusations of predatory behavior. Just as European fascism in teh 1930s reflected the failure of socialist parties to put forth a viable alternative, today's U.S.-centered neoliberalism reflects the failure of industrial capitalism or socialism to free society from rentier interests that are a legacy of feudalism.

"Turning the tables on classical political economy, rentier interests act as plaintiffs against public regulation and taxation of their economic rents in contrast to Adam Smith and other classical liberals, today's neoliberals want to deregulate monopoly income and free markets for rent seeking, as well as replacing progressive income taxation and taxes on land and banking with a value-added tax (VAT) on consumers.

"Endorsing an oligarchic role of government to protect property and financial fortunes (see Chicago School and Moral Hazard), neoliberalism loads the economy with an exponential growth of debt while depicting it in a way that avoids recognizing the rising rentier overhead (rent, interest and insurance) paid to the FIRE sector. (See Junk Economics and Social Market.) Neoliberals want to privatize public infrastructure. They defend this grabitization by depicting public ownership and regulation as less efficient than congtrol by financial managers, despite their notorious short-termism. The pretense is that private operators will provide goods and services at lower cost even while extracting monopoly rent, building interest, dividends and high management salaries into prices. (See Pentagon Capitalism.)"

A related definition follows:

"Neoliberal Disease: A term coined by Jan Hellevig to describe the free hand that leaders of the demoralized post-Soviet bureaucracies gave neoliberals to redesign and de-industrialize their economies by creating client kleptocracies. 'They freed the markets, but only for the criminals. They totally neglected investments to modernize the industry, and let the assets and cash streams be openly or covertly stolen by insiders and the mob. The result was total chaos and the breakup of the Soviet Union.'" (Jon Hellevig, "Russian Economy--The disease is not Dutch but Liberal," Awara March 2 2016, reprinted in Johnson's Russia List, March 3, 2016, #12.)" [All Emphasis Original]

It should be noted the strategy Hellevig describes is the same as that used by those termed "Corporate Raiders" that first prominently surfaced during Reagan/Bush and were responsible for the so-called Savings & Loan Crisis.

If you don't have Hudson's book, I highly suggest getting it as it's filled with excellent information and beats taking both micro- and macroeconomics. It's the companion book to Killing the Host, which is essential for understanding Neoliberalism. The only part of the Saga missing is a definitive history telling how the Neoliberal doctrine arose in the UK and was exported to the USA @1880. Hudson has provided key portions but the overall story still remains to be told.

Posted by: karlof1 | Feb 25 2021 18:41 utc | 121

@ Cynthia | Feb 25 2021 18:20 utc | 119 with the Covid report from a working nurse

THANK YOU!

I think you laid out your perspective quite well and appreciate that. It is not that Covid is a nothing burger but in our Wag the Dog world, Covid has been give top priority as a social narrative focus to keep the FUD (fear, uncertainty & doubt) level high. And that include misrepresenting the facts about how it should be managed because that option "is too expensive" and represents a resurgence of bottom focus in our top/bottom world.

Covid has also been used as cover for the ongoing rape of the public purse in the US, part of which is being used on a daily basis to goose the equities markets and whack-a-mole the commodities markets.

If one looks at society as a social model, the gyrations of the various parts are reaching epic proportions with some parts starting to lock up and others starting to break loose into pieces endangering all in its path.

The shit show continues until it doesn't and how will we measure the tipping point?

Posted by: psychohistorian | Feb 25 2021 18:43 utc | 122

Chu teh @ 120

Thank you. Will give you one more. Crowns father in law was Junius Myer Schine. Who owned J. Edgar Hoover. Also owned about 150 old fashioned downtown hotels. Most of which had casinos for the high rollers regardless of local law. All of which had call girl service. Local politicians need an event venue and go to hotel. After the speech give them some free chips. When they lose the chips give them a girl and a room. Own that politician. Mickey Cohen ( supposedly sent to Alcatraz by RFK) operated Hollywood and West Coast for Schine. Jack Ruby also a lifetime Schine employee. Now you see why no one messes with this mob.

Posted by: oldhippie | Feb 25 2021 18:50 utc | 123

@ 40 paco... thanks! we share a similar viewpoint!

@ Cynthia | Feb 25 2021 18:20 utc | 119... thanks for a very measured and realistic post... i appreciate it! i think one of my biggest challenges with the covid and censorship issue is the tendency on the part of some to clobber others over the head with their viewpoint and have such a level of intolerance that ends up driving me away, regardless of the position they take.. clearly you are not like this and generally i haven't found b to be either... those single issue posters are the ones that are most challenging for me.. they only show up to prattle on about covid this or that, but don't otherwise participate in the conversation... thanks for your comments!

Posted by: james | Feb 25 2021 18:57 utc | 124

oldhippie | Feb 25 2021 13:11 utc | 90

By now it should be clear to anyone that the muzzle and ‘vaccine’ charade has nothing to do with health. They do not care about your health. They do not care about you. They do not care about you at all. You do everything they say.

If an unruly serf says something out loud of course they get smacked.

The NHS in England took 625,000 tests and checked the
swabs for covid-19 and also for the "ordinary" 'flu. Interestingly, they found not a single case of 'flu. Personally, I think this is probably the result of the mass wearing of masks and social distancing.

Posted by: foolisholdman | Feb 25 2021 19:24 utc | 125

Wait, so Twitter basically openly admits to belong to NATO?
What are non-NATO countries waiting for to ban these fuckers?

Posted by: Clueless Joe | Feb 25 2021 19:31 utc | 126

@foolisholdman | Feb 25 2021 19:24 utc | 125

The NHS in England took 625,000 tests and checked the

These numbers are obviously faulty. Who in their right mind believe there was not a single case of flu? That would be literally nothing short of a miracle. Imagine, the flu has finally been cured in England! To bad they cured the wrong disease then.

A much more likely explanation is that the flu numbers were simply gifted to the much more lucrative and politically correct "covid" statistics. In the current state of insanity it would be another miracle if that didn't happen.

Posted by: Norwegian | Feb 25 2021 19:48 utc | 127

Tollef Ås اس طلف | Feb 25 2021 17:41 utc | 114

I'm not sure what point you are making. OT Excuse my pointing out that Omah made tents, rather than mailing them and "whence" has an "h" in it.

Posted by: foolisholdman | Feb 25 2021 20:07 utc | 128

karlof1 | Feb 25 2021 17:52 utc | 116

Yes, it is mentioned in a sort of denigratory way in Yahoo this morning, casting doubt on the Chinese definition of poverty and generally pooh-poohing the achievement.
As I read I could not help remembering the scenes of the streets of LA, lined with the makeshift tents of the homeless.

Posted by: foolisholdman | Feb 25 2021 20:17 utc | 129

Clearly the US government (acting on behalf of the owners, of course) has discover a method of outsourcing censorship and propaganda as a means of circumventing laws which were intended to prevent such behaviors.
Works in conjunction with the suspension of civil rights/liberties for the purpose of protecting the interests of the owners and the centrally planned economy which further supports the interests of the owners and the laws against anything which my be viewed as contrary to the interests of Isreal - not sure what's up with that.

Posted by: jared | Feb 25 2021 22:00 utc | 130

Apropos Bonker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np2ymo0iMfk (German)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grQf9OOphFs (English, the german version is still better!)

Posted by: Wolle | Feb 25 2021 23:30 utc | 131

@old hippie,

I'm in Missoula, the virtue-signaling capitol of Montana. I consider this little Zoom Town to be a microcosm of BIG things. Fauci's mentor, Maurice Hilleman, worked at the Rocky Mountain Lab south of Missoula, in Hamilton. North of Missoula Linda Pritzker is waiting for the Dali Lhama to visit her Buddha Garden. I hear she has built a helicopter pad. our University president is Seth Bodnar, a Rhodes scholar and West Point grad with a wife who just happens to be in telemedicine and pals with Jim Messina, the guy who helped get Obama reelected in 2012.

as for neighbors, I've got some good ones, and not everyone is dutifully compliant with the dictates of sociopaths.

Posted by: lizard | Feb 26 2021 1:09 utc | 132

Cynthia Feb25 18:20 #119

Your comment sounds suspiciously like the same nonsense that we hear from the astro-turfed libertarian mob: only the old and sickly die! Subtext: How DARE the government impose restrictions on young and healthy consumers/workers to fight the pandemic.

Those who are susceptible to Covid-19 are viewed as worthless to neoliberal capitalists.

<> <> <> <> <>

Covid-19 is real. Western country's fight against the pandemic has been inept but has furthered establishment goals, especially: saving money on the cost of care for the elderly, improving mRNA tech for bio-warfare, and generating hatred toward China.

!!

Posted by: Jackrabbit | Feb 26 2021 1:17 utc | 133

Norwegian @Feb25 19:48 #127

These numbers are obviously faulty.

Not so obvious.

SARS-COV-2 is much easier to spread. As a result, steps taken to reduce SARS-COV-2 will reduce prevalence of the flu much more than SARS-COV-2.

!!

Posted by: Jackrabbit | Feb 26 2021 1:22 utc | 134

Junius Myer Schine was the father of Roy Cohn's crony David Schine.

Posted by: lysias | Feb 26 2021 2:32 utc | 135

@james,

I have been a LONG TIME commenter here, not a Covidiot troll, and I'm pretty sure you know that. I appreciated b's perspective regarding US kinetic wars for many years, and have said so. but the rampant censorship has (or should have) clarified in people's minds who is aligning with humanity, and who is allowing themselves, wittingly or not, to be deceived by a psychotic death cult.

Posted by: lizard | Feb 26 2021 3:02 utc | 136

@ 136 lizard... agreed on your first sentence and wasn't implying this of you in my comment... i don't think there's been rampant censorship here at moa.. so maybe we see this here at moa differently... i am not happy with the lockdown and feel it is overkill.. but i am not fighting it... maybe i should.. i am rethinking it and trying to remain fluid..i have a lot of freedom here where i am and am not seeing people living in fear and wearing masks everywhere, although the mask policy if definitely being practiced for indoor places here.. cheers..

Posted by: james | Feb 26 2021 5:16 utc | 137

Posted by: Jackrabbit | Feb 26 2021 1:22 utc | 134

Zero cases of flu is not probable at all. Incidence of people typing wrong numbers in the tables is much higher than the incidence of flu, I am not sure if this condition is innate or acquired.

When we were discussing financial aggression of China -- it deprives the victim countries of the benevolent guidance from IMF, the horror! the horror! -- I cited Wikedia that cited (still) president Moreno. Apparently, the debt of Ecuador to China had the same value as 500 barrels of oil, roughly the content of three tanker trucks. And that was a financial calamity... Who knows what the correct number was. In a spreadsheet you may have a forgotten entry, a mistakenly erased entry (one click!) etc.

Posted by: Piotr Berman | Feb 26 2021 13:17 utc | 138

Jackrabbit @ 134

There is no evidence covid spreads faster, or differently, than influenza. R zero values are in the range of 1.2 to 1.4. At worst. That applies in jurisdictions with strict lockdown rules and in jurisdictions with no rules at all. The early hype about staggeringly high re-transmission rates was due to observing lots of new cases while not knowing that the virus had already been circulating for months. Hype about new super transmissible variants is hype.

We do know a few things about the progress of the disease. See the FLCCC site. By the time dramatic symptoms occur the virus is dead and/or has moved on to another host. By absolutely refusing to treat patients early and denying any possibility of prophylaxis it is ensured there will be community transmission. Current policy has nothing to do with medicine or “the science”. Entirely political.

Comparing different geographic areas is always a bit sketchy, things are not the same here and there. The evidence on covid can be demonstrated with many many comparative pairings. Always come out the same. Lockdown is doing nothing. Except destroying social life. Destroying everything that makes us human.

Posted by: oldhippie | Feb 26 2021 13:52 utc | 139

There is no evidence covid spreads faster, or differently, than influenza. oldhippie | Feb 26 2021 13:52 utc

Evidence on those issues is hard to find, we mostly have clues.

Actually, the incidence of influenza in USA is many times smaller than in recent years, but not zero. If I understood the graphs correctly, the percentage of patients positive for flu dropped below 1%, but not to zero. The number of pediatric deaths attributed to flu dropped from more than 100 to 1. Each year has different flu viruses, perhaps this year flu is less infectious and less pathogenic (??). Of course, the same precautions affect different viruses differently, one can imagine several reasons.

Concerning the lockdowns, observations from Far East suggests that when you have isolated outbreaks, you can handle them with quarantines of diagnosed people and traced contacts and a reduction of personal contacts for short periods of time. Once the cases are widely spread, hard to tell. There is a lot of sociological variables. You may have sloppy super spreaders that look like complying but actually having dirty masks, leaving contaminated palm prints where other people touch etc. Governments were running bonkers all summer and when the cold weather came, people were totally tired of whimsical limitations and the percentage of sloppy people could increase.

Posted by: Piotr Berman | Feb 26 2021 14:57 utc | 140

Piotr Berman

I can agree with you about the clue/evidence distinction. And then will bring it back to what all of us observe. When a flu is going around people get the flu. Lots of people get the flu. Friends and acquaintances report getting the flu. Doctors and nurses report waiting rooms full of flu.

That is not happening with covid. I am in a hotspot. If official information is believed my locale has seen roughly one person in 500 die. The reported number of cases and the number of hospitalized is enormous. Finally, a year later, I do know a few who have had covid. It is something that would be talked about even when we can’t and don’t talk as we used to. And it does not seem to be there. The only death I am aware of locally, at absolute fringe of acquaintance, was a 98 year old lady who had already been in hospice care five months. Here in Illinois hospice has legal meaning. Hospice status is not granted until it is determined the patient will expire within six months.

Substituting evidence for clues will not occur until someone wants to gather evidence. And evidence can be gathered and reported without incurring official displeasure.

Posted by: oldhippie | Feb 26 2021 15:20 utc | 141

Jackrabbit@133,

You can call me all the names you want, but it doesn’t take away from the fact that I speak the truth from the perspective of someone who’s been DIRECTLY on the front lines of the pandemic from day one — something which you can’t do or anyone else here for that matter.

I’m not saying I’m right and you’re wrong, but my perspective has had virtually no airtime to speak of, here or anywhere else. So, for the sake of balance, I feel it needs to be said.

To begin with, the public doesn’t understand that NOT all hospitalized patients, regardless of what symptoms they’re having, who test positive for COVID are isolated from the non-COVID population. Only the ones who are newly tested positive are isolated from the non-COVID population. And once these patients are just ten days out from first testing positive for the virus, they are then transferred off a COVID floor and placed on a non-COVID floor. The only exception to this rule is if they are critically ill requiring artificial ventilation. Those are the only type of COVID patients who remain strictly isolated from the non-COVID population. Period.

Think about it, that alone should tell you that COVID is not as deadly as diehard fear-mongers like to make it out to be. For instance, Ebola patients would never, ever under any circumstances be allowed to mix with the non-Ebola population. That’s because Ebola is far more deadlier than COVID is. If COVID was anywhere near as deadly as Ebola is, there’s no way in the world would hospitals be allowed to place COVID patients be on the same floor with non-COVID patients, much less have one of them dialyze right next to non-COVID patients.

Truth be told, there are more COVID positive patients, at any given time, on non-COVID floors than they are on COVID floors. Likewise, there are more COVID positive patients being dialyzed in a non-COVID dialysis unit than they are in a COVID dialysis unit. In fact, a couple of weeks ago, over a third of our patient population on my non-COVID floor were COVID positive. This is becoming even more common because so many patients continue to test positive for the virus even when they are perfectly well enough to be discharged home or transferred to a nursing/rehab facility.

This is the reality of COVID in the hospital setting that the news media doesn’t report, because if they did, people would avoid hospitals like the plague. That, in turn, would cause more deaths to occur simple out of fear of catching COVID at the hospital. Recall that back in the early days of the pandemic, there were numerous accounts of people unnecessarily dying at home of a heart attack or stroke simply out fear of catching COVID at the hospital and dying from it there.

However, once the truth gets out that hospitals allowing COVID patients to mix with non-COVID patients has resulted in no cross contaminations, less alone deadly outcomes, then perhaps the public will be less fearful of the virus. In the meantime, though, the fear narrative is much too profitable and empowering for the Neoliberal Left to give it up right now. They must first find something else to replace COVID with in order to keep us all living in perpetual fear. My guess is that they’ll try to replace it with domestic terrorism by trying to tie MAGA with white supremacy. But since 2020 presidential election was far from being a landslide victory, a MAGA-inspired, white suprematist-back form of terrorism will be a very hard sell that very few will ever fall for!

Posted by: Cynthia | Feb 26 2021 15:49 utc | 142

@ Cynthia | Feb 26 2021 15:49 utc | 142 who came back to refute Jackrabbit charge and add meat to her earlier reporting about Covid in reality.

Thank you!

What people need to take away from this is how much of what is "talked about" in the West is manufactured to a large degree.
This is a top/bottom world
The top decides what subjects make the news except for stray incidents not under their control and then they Wag the Dog the situation until gone or under control.
The top makes it so Assange is not discussed which would cause a groundswell of support.

I see people continuing to underestimate the web of deceit that permeates the fabric of Western life.

Posted by: psychohistorian | Feb 26 2021 16:29 utc | 143

@karlof1 | Feb 25 2021 17:52 utc | 116,

Thanks for the info. Didn't see much about this on us/uk media yesterday instead seeing this hit piece first. There is more regular reports on this today though. Not sure if it is ironic or not, the author of the hit piece is of Chinese ethnic.

Additional notes about Chinese efforts on this:
1. CPC sent 3 million of its members to the (remote) villages/areas to improve people's living. They live and work along people there while identifying what may be done in that situation. It is not one size fits all but careful evaluation, planning, and execution.
2. During the 8 years, about 1800 of those died on their posts.

In contrast, an opinion piece at USA Today is titled The Backstory: The economy is booming. Food lines are growing. Our experts explain why both are true. If the government serves its people, how could there be such disparity?! And there is something wrong when both are true (as the title says).

Posted by: LuRenJia | Feb 26 2021 18:15 utc | 144

@142 Cynthia - @143 psychohistorian

Many thanks. Cynthia, you are obviously on track with the geopolitical thoughts of this forum. I hope you'll continue to carve out time to keep talking with us.

psychohistorian, thanks for your perspective also. I continually find it astonishing that after a year of the virus we still have no consensus on reality. I personally can't evaluate the general numbers involved in this event. After a year!

But I do get the sense that while the virus is definitely real and can definitely kill, the threat it poses is far less than we used to think. I think a large factor is that everyone has taken so many precautions. I suspect this is the largest factor, rather than the scale of harm intrinsic in the virus.

But who knows, as the numbers are impossible to pin down?

Posted by: Grieved | Feb 27 2021 0:42 utc | 145

Cynthia @Feb26 15:49 #142

Only the ones who are newly tested positive are isolated from the non-COVID population. And once these patients are just ten days out from first testing positive for the virus, they are then transferred off a COVID floor and placed on a non-COVID floor. The only exception to this rule is if they are critically ill requiring artificial ventilation.... that alone should tell you that COVID is not as deadly as diehard fear-mongers like to make it out to be... [followed by comparison to Ebola]

With this comment I am even more convinced that you are full of shit.

!!

Posted by: Jackrabbit | Feb 27 2021 4:20 utc | 146

Posted by: LuRenJia | Feb 26 2021 18:15 utc | 144

When the West poopers says your country is doing something wrong, what it really means is they don't like the fact that your country is doing something right.

Posted by: J W | Feb 27 2021 4:36 utc | 147

cynthia and jackrabbit... it might be helpful if cynthia was to say what country she is working in... so far, i have found her comments to sound solid fwiw so it is interesting your response jackrabbit!

Posted by: james | Feb 27 2021 4:42 utc | 148

Thank you Cynthia. There are some old and cranky people here. I know because I am one. Please continue to contribute.

Jackrabbit, ten to twelve days after viral replication begins the patient will have no remaining live virus present. This applies even to patients who will die. The protocol Cynthia mentions makes complete sense. Also, this is an aerosol virus. Fair to assume that some low level of virus will be present continuously anywhere you happen to be, and certainly it will be present in hospital air.

Posted by: oldhippie | Feb 27 2021 12:56 utc | 149

oldhippie @Feb27 12:56 #149

... ten to twelve days after viral replication begins the patient will have no remaining live virus present.

Yes, but Cynthia is pretending that she is exposed in a way that puts her at greater risk than most in order to tout how low the risk is to healthy people like herself.

Everyone that is anti-mask/anti-lockdown will jump at this idiosyncratic data as "proof!" that the anti-pandemic measures are useless - the same bs that we've heard from the astro-turfed libertarian mob since May 2020.

=

"Fair to assume" is weaseling a 'trusim' that is unwarranted. One might say that the virus is everywhere but the fact is that some places are high risk and others are low risk. People who have developed anti-bodies to the virus are not infectious. Period.

<> <> <> <> <>

Lockdowns and masks have been proven to work when properly instituted. Western governments have failed because they only do half-measures (no quarantine, contract tracing as an after-thought, etc.) and are beholden to Big Pharma and MIC (US military have made big investments in mRNA research). And they want to gin up hate for China by blaming China for the deaths of mostly old people that our neoliberal governments care little about because they are viewed as useless and costly.

There's a lot to complain about wrt how our governments have handled the pandemic. Partisan bickering amongst ourselves only gives our corrupt governments a free hand.

!!

Posted by: Jackrabbit | Feb 27 2021 13:40 utc | 150

“Properly instituted “. I have been in a Federal Correctional Institution lockdown and that would not do spit to contain viral contagion. What would be needed would be something harsher than mere imprisonment. Lockdown worked to some extent in Wuhan because it came along with high levels of social support that will not occur in US.

Speaking of social support. My wife and I are engaged in feeding a 77 year old gentleman and a 93 year old lady who each live alone. Neither of them cook. Both were formerly dependent on social gatherings, friends, families, and restaurants for adequate nutrition. Both have a lifetime of being unusually gregarious. Simply because they were so social the paranoids in their respective circles have cut them off. This includes family.

My wife and I have known the gentleman over sixty years and the lady forty years. Earlier in the epidemic we spoke to them only through glass doors. They are now accepting visits only because of hunger. These are not poor people. Hunger became evident. My wife happens to be a good cook and enough of her staple meals are transportable. We now sit and sup with the gentleman, the lady insists on masks in her home. She will eagerly receive both of us for an hours visit, the masks stay on, she eats alone. In past it would be unimaginable that person would ever eat alone.

I am afraid she will die soon. It would make much sense for her to be in an old folks home, there are resources to place her in a good one. Except that those homes are now very much like prisons under lockdown.

We have been traveling to Kenosha Wisconsin for the day just to walk into a restaurant and see faces. Wisconsin is not locked down, almost no one masks. The cheeseheads think Illinois people are insane. I agree. Look at the numbers for adjacent Lake County Illinois and Kenosha County Wisconsin. No difference.

Posted by: Oldhippie | Feb 27 2021 15:22 utc | 151

Oldhippie @Feb27 15:22 #151

[Even a] ... Federal Correctional Institution lockdown ... would not do spit to contain viral contagion.

Apples and Oranges comparison with a good dollop of scare-mongering. The "lock-down" of a city as a pandemic measure is not imprisonment.

You can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater. You can't drive 100 miles an hour on local roads. These rules are just common sense. Just like anti-pandemic measures.

=

Such anecdotal stories don't excuse the West's inability to fight the virus or the establishment's use of the pandemic to further their own agenda.

!!

Posted by: Jackrabbit | Feb 27 2021 16:04 utc | 152

I tried. Can’t do anything with someone determined to be thick. Will hope that Cynthia sees what sort of nit-picking goes on here.

Posted by: oldhippie | Feb 27 2021 17:11 utc | 153

oldhippie

Really? You mischaracterize pandemic lock-downs ... then resort to smearing?

No wonder USA is in decline - it's people have no ability to reason.

Whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

!!

Posted by: Jackrabbit | Feb 27 2021 19:30 utc | 154

Jackrabbit @ 152

The "lock-down" of a city as a pandemic measure is not imprisonment

So, after a year and counting, when does 'lock-down' become 'imprisonment'?

Or should we call it 'confinement' or 'isolation' or 'seclusion' or 'segregation'?

When does the implied innocuousness of this unprecedented campaign against an already docile populace mutate into deeper psychosis and complete social apathy?

'Cause 'lock-down' is just the first step. Consequent steps look to be even more sinister.

On the bright side, once it's all said and done, covid'll be pretty much relegated to regular flu status.

Posted by: john | Feb 27 2021 21:37 utc | 155

lizard @96

Yes, I know it's a waste of time. So much has now been determined to be seriously wrong (e.g. PCR test interpretation and death classification) and so much is ignored (particularly lockdown induced death, long term effects of delayed diagnosis of non-Covid, the controlling involvement of the intelligence services). I only post occasionally now so that the choir can't say they were not aware and I would feel guilty if I left them alone in an echo chamber (but, I am aware that they don't want to hear it and I am feeling less and less inclined).

Posted by: ADKC | Feb 28 2021 10:34 utc | 156