December 04, 2019

The Times' Middle East Columnist Fails On Basic Facts

Ladies and Gentlemen, we present the Middle East columnist of the 'paper of record', Tom Friedman:

Iran Is Crushing Freedom One Country at a Time

bigger
Having covered the Middle East my entire adult life, I’m seeing some trends emerging there that I’ve never seen before.
The Iranian ayatollahs even had to largely shut down their own internet to prevent the domestic rebellion from spreading. Ever since the U.S. invasion of Iraq in 2002, Iran has never wanted to see a stable, multisectarian, secular democracy emerge in Baghdad, because then Iranian Shiites would be asking why Iraqi Shiites get to live freely and they don’t.

bigger

For the record. The invasion of Iraq began on March 19 2003, not in 2002. Friedman should know that. He and his paper were major pro-war propagandists in the run up to it.

During the first three years of the war Friedman went on to predict 14 times that 'success' in Iraq would come within the "next six months", a period now known as a Friedman unit.

If the New York Times and its main Middle East columnist can not even get that date right what else do they get wrong?

A cursory read of Friedman's anti-Iranian column suggests that the answer is "everything".

Posted by b on December 4, 2019 at 13:34 UTC | Permalink

Comments
« previous page

@68 Oh and of course plan ahead your destination of choice, should the shtf..

Posted by: Lozion | Dec 5 2019 18:44 utc | 101

Lighten Up

All you people are being much too hard on Mr. Friedman. Every thing he has ever written has the ring of solid truth and authority, and he will be providing unimpeachable evidence of that fact, in about six months.

Posted by: AntiSpin | Dec 5 2019 19:32 utc | 102

Really?? @87 & Walter @90:

Correct Walter. McCain = Songbird.

Posted by: Ian2 | Dec 5 2019 20:29 utc | 103

I don't understand what the big deal is! What do you people expect from the facist Zionist mouthpiece in New York? Is it supposed to promote the interests of the Islamic Republic of Iran? This guy is saying today what he has been saying for the last 40 years. Please get on with your lives.

Posted by: Ali | Dec 5 2019 20:47 utc | 104

@104 Agreed, it must be a case slow news week @MoA..

Posted by: Lozion | Dec 5 2019 21:52 utc | 105

Thomas Friedman is the living personification of the New York Times and its institutional values.

And that is NOT a compliment.

A smug, arrogant propagandist with a drunken belief in American Moral Supremacy that makes Donald Trump seem like a humble self-effacing truth-teller in comparison.

That is Thomas Friedman (and the Times) in a nutshell.

The New York times is the Newspaper of Record ... lies.

Judith "Yellowcake Niger uranium" Miller was only a symptom of the Times's deceit.

Posted by: ak74 | Dec 6 2019 2:20 utc | 106

And that is NOT a compliment.
Posted by: ak74 | Dec 6 2019 2:20 utc | 106

Yep.

In the Good Old Days, I was a big fan of the NYT when Maureen Dowd was the "personification of the New York Times and its institutional values". She had a unique talent for poking fun at, and hilighting the character flaws of, the loud-mouthed nitwits, pigs & rabid dogs in charge of AmeriKKKa's serial blunders, using ultra-polite language to sharpen the irony.
Now the JYT is in full-throttle Yinon mode...

Posted by: Hoarsewhisperer | Dec 6 2019 13:30 utc | 107

The nyts brooks." i was used a be socialist."hahahaha.

Posted by: dahoit | Dec 6 2019 17:13 utc | 108

In a follow up to a link recently I was offered a free subscription to the Times, which surprised me. I can only think they must be getting desperate for readership, since I rarely take advantage of their five opportunities to access items there per month. I was thinking it was on this forum that we discussed in detail the upstairs room of the Times where such bigwigs as the Bush team would meet to discuss strategy - but it might have been on an earlier forum, now defunct. At any rate, that did steer me clear of using that paper as a fount of newsworthy knowledge. I'm sure I've missed out on some very good writing, but I'm not one who can trust my own judgment in these matters. It's why I also steer clear of tv and radio news.

I wonder who gets into that upstairs room these days. Pretty sure it isn't Trump.

Posted by: juliania | Dec 6 2019 17:57 utc | 109

So the reasons for the failure of Iraq to become a modern secular liberal democracy are all about the malign machinations of Iran, and nothing to do with either the murderous mendacity of the invading allies nor the fact that the people of Iraq simply don't want to live in Belgium on the Euphrates?

Sounds legit.

Posted by: Scuzzaman | Dec 6 2019 20:38 utc | 110

Wait, are we talking about the same Iran that's spent the past half decade defending Syria, a (formerly) stable (before Timber Sycamore, anyway), pluralistic (not multi-sectarian), secular democracy? Uh-huh, sure, OK

Posted by: Michael Sirius | Dec 10 2019 8:05 utc | 111