May 23, 2015

Open Thread 2015-22

News & views ...

Posted by b on May 23, 2015 at 9:08 UTC | Permalink

Comments
« previous page

Little new today on the late lamented Mozgovoy. But Col. Cassad provides a tribute and analysis.

Valery Kiselyov, a veteran of the KGB Special Operations Group, told Pravda that Leaders of Luhansk and Donetsk republics likely to be assassinated in near future. "Alexei Mozgovoi had almost no chance to survive, said Kiselyov. There was a powerful state machine working against him." With Kiev intent on destroying the two Peoples' Republics, he said that "It must be understood that such attacks may occur again." It also reports that Kiev is officially asserting that Mozgovoy was killed due to internal rivalries, despite the claim of responsibility offered by one of their own spetsnaz commanders.

Col. Cassad offers this tribute and consideration of the man at Slavyangrad.

Here is this man who, like a comet, flew right in front of us and burned up in the thickness of the atmosphere. But in the course of this brief and impetuous path, he accomplished enough to secure a place in history. Apart from the purely historical role as one of the leaders of the Novorossiyan revolution, Mozgovoy will for many years remain as a symbol of the struggle for a just and equitable society and the public good.... [Figures like him] represent the will of humanity to justice and equity and inspire more and more new fighters for justice to take the place of those who fell in their struggle for it.

The Saker has conveniently re-posted Cassad's analysis. Too long, detailed and important (IMHO) for a quick and easy summary.

For his part, the Saker dismisses the "Putin did it" meme as "ridiculous," which I think a good call. But I think he underestimates the junta, whom he considers incapable of organizing it. Nor for unspecified reason he does not believe the work of one its contractors, like Academi. He believes it to be forces within the LPR, the government with which he is "generally rather unimpressed...." But of course if it is corrupt, infiltrated, or incompetent, that would make Kiev's work that much easier.

Ben at 96 -- You wouldn't mind if I touted Comrade Mozgovoy as one of my Heroes, would you? Nice cover by Argentine punk rokcers Los 7 Delfines.

Posted by: rufus magister | May 26 2015 3:23 utc | 101

major earthquake first week in june,possibly middle east area

Posted by: mcohen | May 26 2015 7:24 utc | 102

rufus @101 I have no trouble calling him Comrade Mozgovoy. It seems pretty clear that he was really a communist. It is only in Russia today that anyone knows what that means. Most Russians are quite aware of the excesses of the Stalinist era but the communist ideology that was the basis of the 1917 revolution carried with it some ideals that remain very pertinent today. The major in ideology today in the west is some thing called neo-liberalism which is without doubt a capitalist ideology that insists we all should be pegs in the free market crap they are pushing. There are interesting voices in Russian today that are calling for something different.

Not sure what that might be, but it does look more interesting than the alternative.

Posted by: ToivoS | May 26 2015 7:37 utc | 103

citizen X #94,

Thanks. That is exactly what I couldn't find and was looking for. I've bookmarked it this time.

I find the theory quite plausible and even persuasive.

The link once again, "Could the disappearance of MH370 have been a calculated event? "

Contemplating the unthinkable.

If passenger hijacking and mechanical catastrophe are unlikely to explain what happened to Flight MH370, we are left with an unpalatable third possibility, pilot sabotage. Pilot sabotage is compatible with what we know of the plane’s mysterious behaviour after it diverted from its path to Beijing. As the Malaysian authorities noted, only someone with significant aviation experience would have been able to disable the plane’s communications systems, reprogram the flight management system, and make the flight path changes that were picked up on military radar. A week after the plane vanished, Malaysian Prime Minister said: “These movements are consistent with deliberate action by someone on the plane.”

Posted by: juannie | May 26 2015 10:51 utc | 104

ToivoS at 103 --

Neo-liberalism is capitalism on steroids. Out with that wussy social welfare state, no bread but plenty of media circuses. Cowboy capitalism across the range.

The sacrifices imposed under the "cult of personality" (as Khruschev styled it in his famous "Secret Speech" denouncing Stalin) took Russia from the middle ages to the modern world, giving it the capacity to defeat the fascists, just over 70 years ago. It put the first man in space as well.

With these accomplishments vs. the destruction and plunder of the Union by the Yeltsin and the oligarchs, no wonder the attraction.

Die Linke in Germany is keeping hope alive, too. I saw recently survey stats, former East Germany looks favorably upon their past as well. I'll try and dig that up from my browser history later.

Sadly, though, I think you overlooked an important question -- Don't Los Delfines really rock that song?

Posted by: rufus magister | May 26 2015 11:25 utc | 105

@rufus magister #97
Sadly, you continue to ad hominem. Now you are attempting to rally more people to demonstrate your siding with the consensus.

As for your expert example: emissions controls on a car are well understood. There are machines which accurately sample your car's output and can tell if the mechanic in question has succeeded or failed. Equally, the mechanic is merely replacing already existing machinery should sampling show a problem.

With climate science - there is no understanding. If in fact there was understanding, we would not be spending billions each year on research, equally the models which arose from this research would not continue to be failing.

Even if we posit that climate change is coming for sure and it is bad for sure, the decision on how to deal with this is a political decision, not a scientific one. Do we wish to kill 10% of the poorer parts of the planet in order to avoid temperature increases? Should we instead spend 1/10th of the money to increase wealth hence resilience of these same people? Should wealthy nations pay for their past crimes of polluting the atmosphere with CO2 such that poor people now should not do the same?

Your conflation of scientific certainty (which is false) with political action (which has nothing to do with science) betrays a complete lack of vigor on this subject.

Your ongoing attempts to deux ex Moderator are equally pathetic.

Posted by: ǝn⇂ɔ | May 26 2015 15:26 utc | 106

45;The MSM made the shrub a hero from letting 9-11 happen on his watch,and stepped back and let Iraq happen.They are Zionists,and anyone who does their bidding is protected,as Obomba with his fiascoes in Ukraine,Iraq,Syria,Yemen,Sudan.Somalia,Libya,IsUS(I guess that's planned fiasco) and on and on.
And the tale that the Media does the govts bidding is highly facetious,as its the govt. does the MSMs(Israel's) bidding.

Posted by: dahoit | May 26 2015 16:02 utc | 107

in re 106 --

I'm holding my own on climate change, thank you very much. Anyone who'd like to jump in is more than welcome, but I don't mind if I walk alone. I'm quite use to it, frankly.

We can trust the calibration of those instruments and the training and ability of those technicians because we have, in part, governments imposing requirements for licensing, training, documentation, etc. on the practitioners. The international community lacks such clear standards at this time. Global problems require global solutions.

Science, as I understand it, with it's insistence on falsifiable propositions, does not deal in certainities, but in probabilities. All scientific "Laws" are our current best approximations. This is why biologists speak of the theory of evolution, right.

Again, a classic denialist dodge: "Oh, can't do anything, don't understand it." Especially if you cloud the picture with psuedo-science. We have plenty of areas which we understand well, but continue to research.

More knowledge is always better, no? I think it imprudent to wait, as we near what many informed parties consider to be the tipping point. Reductions in waste and in over-consumption are, IMHO, good ends in themselves, apart from global warming.

Just getting to agreement that we have a problem seems political. Please don't patronize me, I understand all too well the distinction what science might recommend or demonstrate and what politics might allow.

I would think those that could best afford it should take the first hit. We in the First World have any no. of debts we owe the Third, so our subsidizing their development of green energy would be fit and proper. I don't recall anyone advocating killing off 10 pct. of the population anywhere. Quite the bloody shirt.

But let's not discuss a solutions to a problem that you don't think exists.

I don't get the moderator crack, sorry. You need not explain it, I've wasted too much time already.

Posted by: rufus magister | May 27 2015 2:26 utc | 108

And to return to our normal, irregularly schedule posting. As I work through my backlog, little time for highlights or comments.

Your tax dollars at work, fellow Muricans. US Army Hard at Work Training Western Ukrainians to Kill Eastern Ukrainians. Very detailed.

Here's a leading indicator for Kiev's stock. The Foreign Advisers Abandoning the Sinking Ship That Is Kiev Government. Businessmen, too. The rat's always know when she's going down....

F.W. Engdahl scores again with Washington Hoisted by Its Own Petard: The Real Reason Kerry Was in Sochi. "Far from a “reset” try, Washington’s hapless geopolitical strategists are desperately trying to find a better way to bring the Russian Bear to her knees."

US Congress Earmarks $200 Million for Weapons for Ukraine. Lethal aid is to be included in this tranche; the Senate and the Zombie-in-Chief still have to have their say.

In light of the last two links, it's not surprising that Poroshenko Expects Renewed Fighting in the East in the Coming Days. I usually don't post links from the press of the leftist parties. This is not out of lack of sympathy (I'm rather a Fifth Internationalist myself), but rather to avoid any (undue) accusations of bias, spin or unreliability. But the World Socialist Web Site quotes a number of statements straight from the horse and other relevant details.

This is quite interesting, I may come back to it. Neocons 2.0: The Problem with Peter Pomerantsev. Discusses polittekhnologi under Yeltsin and beyond.

There are a few items on Mozgovoy's assassination.

Here's something though-provoking that I'll also revist, from the pen of the astute J. Hawk. "Stalinists" vs. "Trotskyists", or a Mozgovoy Post-Scriptum. I disagree with his assessment; like the Saker, he thinks the junta incompetent (I disagree) or more likely to chose another target (more believable) and internal politics the source. But I can't dispute the two contrasting perspectives he describes.

Red Star over Donbas has a short interview with two of Mozgovoy's fellow communists from the Prizrak Brigade. They also have a statement by three senior officers of the Brigade as well. I believe this is unidentified source of this report at Russia Insider. Not a usual practice there, probably just a slip.

And if you are in the NYC area tomrrow, drop by the Bolivar memorial in Central Park and pay your respects. Sadly, too soon and too far for me to get my excrement centralized, but I'll be there in spirit. There is a worldwide call on the site as well. But for distractions, I would have given you comrades more lead time....

Finally, horror stories of wanton destruction of the infrastructure, including hospitals and nursing homes. Given this "collateral damage", one has to ask, "Whom are they fighting against?" The author works in the provision of humanitarian aid. "Every place we visited, we were told that when the National Guard and UAF arrived, they targeted the infrastructure for destruction. Please, try to convince me they were defending their land from Russian invaders."

What else can one say in response but, "Glory to the heroes..."? I think they might be in for a little sub-surface warming, in the sweet by and by. Assuming those cranky sky-people really up there....

Posted by: rufus magister | May 27 2015 3:59 utc | 109

@rufus magister #108
I was wondering if you were deliberately obtuse or actually stupid - I'm now leaning toward the latter.
The point about emissions controls is that it is a well understood, bounded, measured, regulated, and previously accomplished set of theory and actions.
The point about climate science is that it is NOT well understood. It is NOT bounded. It is NOT measured. And it absolutely is *not* accomplished.
To try and conflate one with the other is to compare a witch doctor to a nuclear physicist.

As for your comment on science: yes, science consists of theories validated (or invalidated) by data.
What then do you call climate models which have been wrong for 15 to 19 years? Which prominent German enviro scientists openly acknowledge is a serious and possibly existential problem?
The scientist in question: Hans von Storch
As you seem to be unable to do any original Google searches, here's his bio:

Hans von Storch (born 13 August 1949 in Wyk auf Föhr, Schleswig-Holstein) is a German climate scientist. He is a Professor at the Meteorological Institute of the University of Hamburg, and (since 2001) Director of the Institute for Coastal Research at the Helmholtz Research Centre (previously: GKSS Research Center) in Geesthacht, Germany. He is a member of the advisory boards of the journals Journal of Climate and Annals of Geophysics.

Here's his view on AGW:

"Based on the scientific evidence, I am convinced that we are facing anthropogenic climate change brought about by the emission of greenhouse gases into the atmosphere."[2]

And here's the money shot:

"So far, no one has been able to provide a compelling answer to why climate change seems to be taking a break. We're facing a puzzle. Recent CO2 emissions have actually risen even more steeply than we feared. As a result, according to most climate models, we should have seen temperatures rise by around 0.25 degrees Celsius (0.45 degrees Fahrenheit) over the past 10 years. That hasn't happened. In fact, the increase over the last 15 years was just 0.06 degrees Celsius (0.11 degrees Fahrenheit) -- a value very close to zero. This is a serious scientific problem that the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) will have to confront when it presents its next Assessment Report late next year."[7]

Lastly, on green energy: the crap technology solar PV makers, corn ethanol growers, and wind turbine makers like GE and Siemens all thank you for your support.

Posted by: ǝn⇂ɔ | May 27 2015 17:23 utc | 110

the saker has an interview up with Jeff J Brown on the Russian Chinese Strategic Partnership. It provides an excellent background on Xi Jinping and some interesting analysis:

Jeff J. Brown: Let’s face it, Saker, when the US dollar economy collapses, it could easily trigger WWIII. It is going to be that cataclysmic. And when it does happen, Israel knows they can start counting the days when the gates of Jerusalem change hands for the 45th time, in that city’s heralded 5,000 year history. Israel is at least as out of control as the US, maybe even more so. Their 200-300 undeclared nukes would surely make a mess of Mother Earth and what they started would surely trigger WWIII, with all the depressing outcomes to go with it.

So I think Baba Beijing, as well as everybody else in the world, Russia included, are hoping that the Western financial house of smoke, mirrors and cards can keep going on for as long as possible. Why? Because like ants harvesting for the winter, BRICS, CELAC, NAM and all the other anti-Empire coalitions are working feverishly to organize, plan, implement, found and institute as many entities, agreements and systems as possible, to soften the eventual economic Armageddon. Great examples include the Sino-Russian CRIFT (anti-SWIFT), UCRG (anti-big three credit agencies), BRICS New Development Bank (NDB), Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), Banco del Sur, PetroCaribe and on and on. Just today, China announced that it is setting up the world’s largest gold fund ($16.1 billion), with 60 countries already signed up, to develop gold mining and commerce along, where else – the Asian continent’s Silk Roads, which Admiral Mahan’s ghost can only dream about controlling.

Posted by: Nana2007 | May 27 2015 17:30 utc | 111

in re 110 --

While I have been snarky, I don't think I have been gratuitously insulting. Nor do I intend to be so now.

I've been doing text string searches on computers since my undergrad days as a library assistant. That you don't like what I find in my searches doesn't mean I haven't done one. I am under no obligation to find items solely to your taste; it is after all my search.

You'll have to endure my continued spade work, as I rather like Diggin' in the Dirt. Seriously, my brothers and I dug a well the summer before my first bout of college in the mid-70's. It's not really fun 'til you break the water table, you know? So it's China or Bust!

Yeah, my intellectual skills are so bloody poor that I only have an M.A. in Soviet History and was a doctoral ABD at a major research university. My curiosity on the topic was so lax I only got a jump of about a decade of reading on the topic before I completed my B.A. and went on to an advanced degree.

You will note that I provided links to my sources. You generally have not been so kind as to return the favor, including your latest and greatest. That would be his Wikipedia page, BTW, for you fans of in-depth research. I found that by searching for the text string for footnote "[2]".

Someone in the comments on this quoted von Storch. The post seems relevant. Titled There is no Consensus, it is part of his series on "How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic." On the author's main blog page, A Few Things Ill Considered, he refers to it as best work, though it dates to 2006. "The passage of time has not improved the anti-science zombie ideas."

Objection:

Climate is complicated and there are lots of competing theories and unsolved mysteries. Until this is all worked out one can’t claim there is consensus on Global Warming Theory and until there is we should not take any actions.

Answer:

Sure there are plenty of unsolved problems and active debates in climate science. But if you look at the research papers coming out these days, the debates are about things like why model predictions of outgoing longwave radiation at the top of the atmosphere in tropical latitudes differ from satellite readings or how the size of ice crystals in cirrus clouds affect the amount of incoming shortwave reflected back into space or precisely how much stratospheric cooling can be attributed to ozone depletion rather than an enhanced greenhouse effect. No one in the climate science community is debating whether or not changes in atmospheric CO2 concentrations alter the Greenhouse effect or if the current warming trend is outside of the range of natural variability or if sea levels have risen over the last century. This is where there is a consensus.

If I might paraphrase one of my intellectual mentors, "Are we having epistemological certainty yet?" Yow!

Poster Coby continues by noting several specific points of that consensus and numerous organizations that shared it. I liked the snarky title, so I bookmarked the blog.

Back to our man of the hour, the honorable Professor van Storch. RationalWiki (yeah, baby, right back at you) does not have a page for him per se, but it noted that he was deeply involved in the Soon and Baliunas controversy.

But I will avoid offending your delicate sensibilities, however, by quoting from one of the underlying sources, Mother Jones' Some Like it Hot, which discusses at some length the serious coin typically laid upon Big Carbon's consigliere. The incident below concerns the failed attempts to discredit Penn State researcher Michael Mann (I of course do not expect you to agree with that characterization of the outcome).

Calling the paper “a powerful new work of science” that would “shiver the timbers of the adrift Chicken Little crowd,” Senator Inhofe devoted half of a Senate hearing to it, bringing in both Soon and Legates to testify against Mann. The day before, Hans Von Storch, the editor-in-chief of Climate Research — where the Soon and Baliunas paper originally appeared — resigned to protest deficiencies in the review process that led to its publication; two editors soon joined him. Von Storch later told the Chronicle of Higher Education [the "paper of record" in the academia biz - rm] that climate science skeptics “had identified Climate Research as a journal where some editors were not as rigorous in the review process as is otherwise common.” Meanwhile, Mann and 12 other leading climate scientists wrote a blistering critique of Soon and Baliunas’ paper in the American Geophysical Union publication Eos, noting, among other flaws, that they’d used historic precipitation records to reconstruct past temperatures—an approach Mann told Congress was “fundamentally unsound.”

The Wikipedia entry on this controversy details von Storch's attempt to blame his fellow denialist, editor Chris de Freitas, for failing to review the paper properly. He objected, leading to the resignation of von Storch and half the editorial collective; de Freitas stayed. Wikipedia further notes that Sen. Jeffords read von Storch's resignation into the record during the hearing, in which he acknowledged "significant methodological flaws" in the paper. "The critique published in the Eos journal by Mann et al. is valid."

David Suzuki discussed Soon's oeuvre on his blog in 2011. It seems a fitting close to our discussion.

After all their digging, deniers have only been able to find a few minor errors in the volumes of peer-reviewed science about climate change, and have had to rely on manufactured scandals and conspiracy theories to bolster their arguments. It only takes a bit of investigating to poke holes in the scant bits of research that have attempted to discredit real climate science. Let's stop wasting our time on deniers. It would be better spent trying to resolve the serious problems we have created.

But let me not close on such a dismissive and negative note. I'm with Robert Palmer and the Power Station, who agree that Some Like it Hot. "Feel the heat, forcing you to decide/Feel the heat, burning you up, ready or not."

Posted by: rufus magister | May 28 2015 1:42 utc | 112

Nana2007 at 111 -- In watching a news account the other day about Chinese and America maneuvering in the So. China Sea, Mrs. M. remarked dryly, "Well, it looks like the Chinese have been reading Mahan." I have it on the shelves somewhere, but could never get through it.

Posted by: rufus magister | May 28 2015 1:49 utc | 113

And now for something completely different....

Surprise, surprise, surprise. . ChocoKing asserts, "This is not a fighting with Russian backed separatists, this is real war with Russia."

Looking for some bargains? Well then, check out the deals at Yatsenyuk's Ukrainian Fire Sale.

What Forbes says is now being proposed is an across-the-board fire sale at knock-down prices of the Ukrainian economy’s prize assets to US and Western investors. Some of these are likely to be the same assets for which Ukraine has consistently in the past (including under Yanukovych) refused much better Russian offers. Needless to say, Russian offers on this occasion will not be welcome.

Here's some good news, though -- New Polish President to Take Tougher Stance on Ukraine's Nazi Glorification.

And a former President of Poland speaks out as well. Ukraine will return to Russia in its entirety and without bloodshed.

"In the foreseeable future, Russia may become one of the centers of the multipolar world that is being formed right now," Aleksander Kwasniewski, a former president of Poland, said at a security conference in Prague. "The US will continue to play a major role, but they will never again be as powerful as they were in the last 20-30 years...."

It was remarked a long time ago that as soon as Western officials become former officials, they get smart.

As is often the case, translator J. Hawk's comments deserve reproduction in their entirety.

The original RIA article also notes that Russia has no intention of invading the Baltic states, and points out that Kwasniewski is a former member of the Polish United Workers' Party of the Soviet era, and the only "post-communist" Polish president to serve two terms. I'm not sure whether Kwasniewski's statement in Prague was meant as a warning or a reassurance, or perhaps a mixture of both. Because another way it could be restated is "don't worry, Ukraine is a mess, too much of a mess for the EU to fix, but Russia will do it if we just let it, and stop worrying about imaginary Russian invaders." Given that Kwasniewski was not noted for Russophobia during his political career, I suspect that's the real thrust of his message. Because, ultimately, Russkiy Malchik is giving Kwasniewski a bit of a short shrift, given the he is one of the "good guys" of contemporary Polish politics.

And the same again from his comments on Mozgovoy's killer from group "Shadows" posted new details of the murder on Facebook.

Speculation about Mozgovoy's murder was to be expected. I think differences among the leaders of Novorossia in a time of war are to be expected, but do they warrant a murder? We should not loose sight that a culprit just West of LPR and DPR has already declared intent and determination to commit such acts. This is all they can do at this point, and they will not cease to pursue their mission, just as they cannot resist bragging about it on Facebook.

As they used to say on the old radio serial "Only the Shadow knows...."

See Red Star over Donbass for coverage of the funeral and a statement by International Action Center on his murder. "He was an internationalist who understood that solidarity of peoples is essential to victory." I wouldn't mind that for my epitaph, should I live up to that high standard.

Could be time to break out the Stoli. To him and all those who perished with him, well done, comrades, well done. May you all rest in peace, knowing that we shall not be idle. Farewell....

Now forward, Barflies, on to Kiev!

Posted by: rufus magister | May 28 2015 2:33 utc | 114

Rufus at 113- nice work with yr Mrs.- I couldn't get through that myself. Didn't he consider the power of contingencies to affect outcomes? As that interview highlights China and Russia have their modern day Mahan's - and we have John McCain calling for the boycott of FIFA 2018.

Posted by: Nana2007 | May 28 2015 2:42 utc | 115

Nana2007 -- I'd have to check the Cliff Notes on Mahan to be sure. But his Wikipedia suggests that that is correct. Mrs. M. works in Curatorial on an historic naval vessel, so I think she picked it up by osmosis. Or maybe in US History.

He might have cribbed it from Napoleon, who said “On s’engage et puis ... on voit.” Or roughly, "Commit, and then... we see." And also, "Ability is nothing without opportunity."

I read through a few more quotes from him, he's quite an astute and complex figure.

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap." See the the Rethuglican Clown Car; Lil' Ricky Santorum just officially hopped aboard, so it's gettin' really crowded.

"A true man hates no one." Can we get that posted in the Green Room at Faux News?

And how about this, Napoleon the hippie weirdo freak -- "The extent of your consciousness is limited only by your ability to love and to embrace with your love the space around you, and all it contains." That is, like, wow, a heavy head trip, dude, I think I'm seein' trails....

Posted by: rufus magister | May 28 2015 4:05 utc | 116

Rufus @116- right and that's just my point- we need a vast army of hippy weirdo freaks! Down with FIFA, er no down then up with FIFA, then down again, FFS, thieving bastards. What wait?

Posted by: Nana2007 | May 28 2015 4:49 utc | 117

What planet I am on? Well, that would seem to be one that is slowly roasting itself.
rufus, You may be walking it alone but you have at least one fan following you. You may appreciate the following. Here is a 12 min. 23 sec. video that fully substantiates your above statement. Except Not So Slowly (yeah, I know I'm an alarmist, a chicken little, a doom and gloomer etc. - but). Based on actual observations and standard mathematical techniques that are applicable to any data, it clearly demonstrates that we have passed through a tipping point in global warming at the current level of only 0.86 deg. C, (nowhere near the 2 deg C that the IPCC suggests is the maximum that we can tolerate without devastating consequences) and shows how severe weather events have correspondingly entered an exponential realm, based on a 1951 through 1980 baseline. These events have reached 5.32 Sigma (Standard Deviation from the mean) during the 2001 through 2011 decade and are heading toward 6 Sigma in the coming decade. 5.32 Sigma equates to a probability of 1 in 10,000,000. It also points out the fact that future warming is already in the pipeline due to time lags, i.e. substantial ocean warming which, for example, is presently affecting this year's weather through the El Nino phenomena. A recent study by Nuccitelli et al 2012 Total Heat Content has estimated that 90% of global warming goes into heating the oceans and only 3% into increasing global air temperatures. There hasn't been a cessation or slow down of global warming over the last decade or so. The heat has been going mainly into warming the oceans. A pretty big heat sink that will be affecting our climate for a long time.

Posted by: juannie | May 28 2015 5:16 utc | 118

juannie at 118 -- Thanks for the props.

I think in terms of being a concerned citizen, it ain't rocket science. Who you gonna call? Literally thousands of researchers and scientists, the peer-reviewed journals of their professional organizations, men and women who are committed to their integrity? Or dishonest hacks like von Storch, Soon, Tol, et al., whose research is bought and paid for by Big Carbon? Let's not trust the sober and considerate scientists, those shouting the loudest must be correct.

Or if I may quote W.B. Yeats, "The Second Coming," "The best lack all conviction, while the worst/Are full of passionate intensity." If the former is overstated, assuredly the latter is true.

I have trouble watching anything but music vids on line, but I will take a look at the Total Heat Content data. I understand that the water chemistry is changing due to the heat as well.

Important cat news -- Morse likes olive oil. Left maybe 1/3 cup out while preparing some BBQ over Memorial Day, he lapped up it all. He has very catholic tastes in human food, though Italian seems his favorite, loves pizza esp. But that surprised us a little.

Nana2007 at 117 -- Maybe we need a Second Youth International Party -- it's for all, of course, you're only as young as you feel. Tom Hayden as Honorary Chair, Russell Brand as SpokesBeing. Tie-dyed rainbow flag, a little heavy on the red. "Power to the People -- Right On!"

"A million workers working for nothing
You better give 'em what they really own
We got to put you down
When we come into town"

Posted by: rufus magister | May 28 2015 11:54 utc | 119

RE: http://rt.com/shows/going-underground/260797-iraq-nsa-uk-google/

I caught an admitted friendly fire death of a canadian soldier reported as another cause of death just a month ago on the top ranked us casualty tracker.

Posted by: john | May 29 2015 0:03 utc | 120

@rufus magister #112
Thank you for you academic credentials - you've confirmed that you have no experience with the scientific process, nor even any form of technical training.
As for von Storch - once again you resort to name calling and character assassination.
Nowhere do you address the scientific concern he put forward.
Sadly, this is emblematic of climate "science" - rather than attempt to learn, the alarmists prefer to shoot their dissenters. As a student of ex-Soviet stuff, surely you know who Lysenko was.

Posted by: ǝn⇂ɔ | May 29 2015 16:40 utc | 121

@juannie #118
Sadly, the IPCC - which is supposed to be the repository of all climate science knowledge - freely acknowledges that there are NO credible nor statistical upswings in any of the following extreme events:
1) Floods
2) Fires
3) Hurricanes
4) Tornados
5) Droughts
Flooding is everywhere a regional cycle.
Fires are entirely a function of wrongheaded conservation schemes decades ago which allowed massive accumulation of burnable material through suppression of natural fires.
Hurricanes have shown no increase in frequency, strength, or even systemic energy.
Tornados have increased in number, but that's because Doppler radars now allow counting of F1 and F2 tornados which previously were largely unseen. F3 and stronger tornados: no increase whatsoever.
Droughts: despite all the talk, there still have been no studies which show any statistical increase of drought frequency or severity. The Australian drought in the early 2000s which led to the construction of billions of dollars of desalination plants which started to come online even as Australia experienced record rainfalls in 2011, 2012, 2013 - with no drought since then.

Posted by: ǝn⇂ɔ | May 29 2015 16:49 utc | 122

in re 121 --

As I made clear quite early on, I have some basic math (including college statistics) and science and am reasonably intelligent and well-read. I'm just a concerned citizen. Like most of my fellow fellow citizens and residents, I am not equipped to evaluate the science. But I am equipped to evaluate the scientists. I have tried to so here.

I did not assassinate von Storch's character; it's death was a suicide.

It was his journal that published a study which he subsequently described has having "significant methodological flaws" which his editorial team failed to even detect, let alone correct.

He has acknowledged that the internal review process at Climate Science was weak, was known to be weak by denialists, and was gamed by them. The Wiki on the Soon/Baliunas controversy notes that authors shopped for favorably disposed reviewers, like de Freitas. Rather than acknowledge this, he attempted to blame de Freitas before resigning himself.

He further acknowledged the veracity the refutation of Soon's paper by Mann et. al. As I quote him at 112: "The critique published in the Eos journal by Mann et al. is valid."

I had earlier examined the Der Speigel article you quote (from Wikipedia) above. It is a soft-ball interview, where von Storch throws a bit of factoids around, but with no clear attribution as to their source, apart from a general reference to some work of his in the 90's. Critical examination would be best done on these technical points by someone with more appropriate skills. So I did not comment upon it.

I of course know of the geneticist Lysenko. I don't think von Storch is in his league, really, but perhaps Soon is. I found him earlier today on this handy list of some major denialists; all seem like good Lysenko look-alikes to me -- hacks that tell the powerful (in this case, the moneyed) what they like to hear. It's from 2009, but I don't know that major figures have really changed.

Posted by: rufus magister | May 30 2015 0:03 utc | 123

its that time of the yr again, every yr around this time the anglo msm would trot out that tam hoax without fail, a ritual they kept at it since 1989.
the smear job would best be written by some wogs stationed in washington/london, enhanced by interview with *dissident* from china who reminds the world not to forget tam, the bleeding heart anglo *progressives* would pat the guy/gal's head approvingly, *good man/girl, u represent the future of china, we'd never forget too*.

so i ask the obvious question...
+why is the tam hoax being *commemorated* ad nauseam, whereas those well documented real genocides perpetrated by the west in vn, indonesia, iraq etc etc were flushed down history's memory hole long ago.

why isnt there an annual commemoration of the fallujah genocide for example
+ ?

ouch !
*this comment is removed by the moderator for breach of community ethics*
hehehe

Posted by: denk | May 30 2015 3:34 utc | 124

Rufus, relax, I worked at both Federal and State EPAs, and can assure you that Global Catastrophe, as it'stands mow referred to, is a giant scam. The head of the US Climate consortion, who was just ousted for molestation, had a degree from the India Railroad Academy. Whoo-whoo! John Hansen was head of astrophysics with a degree in astronomy, ousted because he took an illegal $1.3M honorarium for being poser in chief, and would have had to forfeit that and his NASA pension for violating Federal law. Mann is a mathematician, not a climatist, hiding behind his university to keep from being indicted. And ODUmbro is just the Climate Con Closer in Chief.

Relax, we'really all going to die when the oil starts running out, just more useless mouths to feed.

Posted by: Chipnik | May 30 2015 6:39 utc | 125

123

It's About the Deforestation, Stupid!

Have you not noticed the loss of the Siberia Tioga, the Congo, the Amazon, the SE Asia rainforests, ...and nobody says dick about it at Climate Central, because you can't gouge $79B in Green Grants from aboriginal day labor deforesters.

Posted by: Chipnik | May 30 2015 6:47 utc | 126

Truth via Freedom of Information Act - U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency on August 12, 2012 … years before ISIS burst onto the world stage.

The Salafist, the Muslim Brotherhood, and AQI are the major forces driving the insurgency in Syria. .... The West, Gulf countries and Turkey support the opposition; while Russia, China and Iran support the regime ... If the situation unravels there is the possibility of establishing a declared or undeclared Salafist principality in Eastern Syria (Hasaka and Deir Zor), and this is exactly what the supporting powers of the opposition want, in order to isolate the Syrian regime, which is considered the strategic depth of the Shia expansion, Iraq and Iran.

Probably was posted before - b. if you got the time - a decent search function?

Anyway it should be spread as much as possible - so the sheep in the supporting West know who creates the "Muslim threat" in their countries.

Posted by: somebody | May 30 2015 7:48 utc | 127

Rufus, be glad you're an American.

100 years ago, all you would've had was a rocky bottom tar-paper shack insulated with sawdust, the PloughMan's Song in Spring, the Maize Beating Song in Summer, and the Wheat Threshing Song in Autumn, one pair of Levis trousers and two cotton shirts, an old pair of shit-kickers, a couple kerosene lamps and the Family Bible, surviving on turnips in the root cellar.

100 year ago, your National Anthem was 'America the Beautiful', ...before the Federals changed it to 'Bmobs and Flags Uber Alles', and created the Private Fed Bank, and sent all you doughboys off to WW1, so your family farm inheritance could be Mortgaged, Seed Loaned, Auctioned Off and Corporate Aggregated, to move you into the urban factories and slaughterhouses.

We will live like kings in the Final Days off our forefathers efforts, until the oil runs out, anyway, then will come the Night of 10,000 Machetes, when they'll slaughter all the useless mouths to feed.

Posted by: NoReply | May 30 2015 7:56 utc | 128

118

Juannie, I don't mean to put you and Rufus down, but you guys sound like my SRF friends with all their Indian IPCC guru talk about 'chakras' and 'astral beings'. Once they start hyperventilating, it gets pretty weird.

Yawn,...

So let me give you an anodyne darshan to the Federalista Technocrats and their bid to convert our health and human services into astral green science fiction and 'Climate Devastation!!!' IDIQNB unaudited contracts:

*Inhale, tensing the whole body and clenching the fists.

*Relax all the body parts at once and, as you do so,
expel the breath through the mouth in a double exhalation, "huh, huh."

*Repeat this practice three to six times.

*Then forget the breath. Let it flow in and out naturally,
of its own accord, as in ordinary breathing.

Then go outside and go for a walk in creation, before you go mad from IPCC.

Posted by: Chipnik | May 30 2015 8:12 utc | 129

When even CNN points to Blackwater and the US State department for training a Tadjik terrorist who now works with ISIS
and Le Monde speaks of Turkish newpapers as publishing the pics of the weapons hidden under medicine

A U turn is on the way

Posted by: Mina | May 30 2015 12:19 utc | 131

Chipnik at 129 --

I can work my way through scientific jargon, when pressed. But New Age Psychobabble always goes right over my head.

You have to be careful, 'cuz you never know who you might meet on the Astral Plane. Like Martian Martians. Martian rhymes for Martin times.

Talking a walk sounds like good advice, though.

Posted by: rufus magister | May 30 2015 14:22 utc | 132

ps to 132 -- I voiced concern about deforestation somewhere earlier. Destroying the climate and screwing indigenous peoples, it's a two-fer.

Posted by: rufus magister | May 30 2015 14:29 utc | 133

Chipnik @ 125 -- I don't mean to put you down either. Though I may lack serious technical training, I do know data is always preferable to ad hominem attacks and unsupported assertions based on alleged inside knowledge.

I would imagine someone with some serious math could be quite useful in modelling something as complex as global climate over centuries. But what do I know, I'm just a concerned citizen? My more immediate concern is that we not blow the planet up before we cook it.

Greenhouse-Baked Biosphere with a Hot CO2 and Acidified Ocean Sauce, mmm.. mmm.. good! With a side of Deforestation Greens. Baked Alaska for dessert -- of course! Now that's good eats. I think we could see that on the next season of Hell's Kitchen.

Posted by: rufus magister | May 30 2015 14:44 utc | 134

NR @ 128 --

Um, I'm a little unclear about how that fits in with the discussion of the Bandera-style fascism way back at 12, but a good rant is always entertaining.

Actually, 100 yrs. ago my labor aristocrat paternal ancestors were doing OK, plenty of work for mechanics and fitters in the Second Industrial Revolution. Solid row homes, Model T's, safer food thanks to FDA. Dirt farmers on the maternal side were doing ok too, modest frame homes from the Sears catalog, ICC doing it's bit to try and rein in the railroads, the greatest malefactors of wealth of the day. Ragtime on the player piano, Nickelodeons for entertainment, the new department store to kit you out.

Irony -- the Populists who demanded the creation of a Central Bank to provide credit and regulate finance in the interest of working people were about to see that realized. But the form it actually would take favored capital, not labor. Funny how that goes in bourgeois democracy.

There's a typical quirk of many students of history. They will idealize the past and wish they had been born then (see the Society for Creative Anachronism; everybody's a freakin' lord or lady, the only artisans and peasants are the vendors). This is not a failing of mine. Nor do I overstate the squalor and danger of life in the past.

That's all too often the trouble with a good rant -- one takes a bit too much poetic license with bit between the teeth.

Let me pony up another nickel and set the Wayback Machine for those who want to be Living in the Past.

We'll go walking out
While others shout of war's disaster.
Oh, we won't give in,
Let's go living in the past.

"Twizzle Twazzle Twozzle Tome, Time for This One to Come Home." Keep it real and peace out, Barflies.

Posted by: rufus magister | May 30 2015 15:43 utc | 135