March 01, 2015

Whodunnit?

So someone killed Boris Nemtsov while the 56 year old man walked with his 22 year old Ukrainian "model" on a bridge in Moscow. There is some CCTV coverage of the crime scene.

As vice-premier under Boris Yeltsin Nemtsov was at least partially responsible for the mafiazation of the Russian economy. Everyone but some oligarchs and the "western" neoliberals was happy when he and the Yeltsin gang had to leave.

After he was kicked out and until yesterday Nemtsov was a very minor opposition politician polling at some 1%. The communists, the real opposition party in Russia, poll at about 20%. No one in the government had reason to care about or fear Nemtsov.

The former Soviet president Gorbachov points to those who will gain from Nemtsov's death:

Asked if he thought anti-Russian forces abroad might exploit the crime in pursuit of their own ends, he argued this would definitely happen.

"Of course, certain forces will try to take advantage of this crime for their own ends - all of them are thinking how to get rid of Putin, aren't they? But I don't think, after all, that the West will go as far as that, that it will use that crime to attain its own purposes. However, that was unquestionably the goal of the criminals who murdered Boris," he said.

"Crimes of this kind are taken on by executors who are hard to find. All efforts must be made to find the criminals," the ex-president said.

Gorbachov still uses rose colored glasses when locking at the "west". The "west" would never use a crime to attain its purpose? That is laughable naive.

And what about all those legitimate and popular opposition politicians currently getting suicided in Ukraine?

So whodunnit?

Someone with relations to the "model"? Someone hurt in the gangster "privatizations" executed under Nemtsov's rule? Some Ukrainian oligarch interested in creating more schism between the "west" and Russia? Some "western" government plotting the destabilization of Russia?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Posted by b on March 1, 2015 at 13:41 UTC | Permalink

Comments
« previous page | next page »

FP@199

I know we as a society have become addicted to visuals but this trial will show the real investigation and evidence to support the charges against DT. The videos and still pictures will probably be used to place the defendant at the scene of the crime but that is only a small part of the evidence that will condemn DT.

There will be non MSM reporting from the trial so we should get a clear picture of the evidence soon.

Posted by: Wayoutwest | Mar 3 2015 16:06 utc | 201

I dislike and disrespect Masha Gessen and the WaPo is a buttrag but here's some info (pretty interesting, too) that's more than 140 characters on the State Dept's color-rev comm system for twits re FacePalm's assertions that the "chilling" video that supposedly shows DT setting down the backpack doesn't actually exist. Rather reminds me of the oft-touted but never shown "9000 Russian troops in Ukraine!" Or the "evidence" for Russia downing MH-17 that is never shown. Evidence not shown is not evidence.

You have not seen that Boston Marathon video

The videotape made its second appearance just two days later, also on NBC, in a report on the criminal complaint against Tsarnaev. NBC said the complaint “is built on surveillance video, which shows him dropping a backpack near the finish line and walking away as the bombs go off.” And then it showed the video — sort of.

The report began with what appears to be actual surveillance video the FBI used to pinpoint the Tsarnaevs. They are shown turning onto Boylston Street and walking, Dzhokhar carrying a backpack easily on his right shoulder. “Seven minutes later,” says correspondent Anne Thompson, “Dzhokhar Tsarnaev drops his knapsack at the metal barrier in front of the Forum restaurant.” By this time, though, we are looking not at a video but at a still photograph that shows the backpack on the ground and Dzhokar Tsarnaev a few feet away, apparently walking away. Then again, it could be a picture of him just walking by. The moment of his setting down the backpack is narrated but not shown.

Just a friendly suggestion, FP, but if you want people to take what you present seriously, you might try not being an asshole. I know, it's hard.

(P.S. Sorry, I know this topic more rightly belongs on the Open Thread.)

Posted by: Benu | Mar 3 2015 16:09 utc | 202

@201

The usual duplicitous crap from the usual dishonest moron

Dear Mr D-head @ 202

I didn't really read your crap, just skimmed it, cos lifes just to short for reading more crap posted by verifiable knob-heads

Kindly go F yourself, with a big stick if poss, thanks very much

You completely ignored the content and immediately attacked the source because you are a pathetic asshat, who has nothing of interest to say on the subject. and hilariously after attacking the source you then provide a link to Masha Geesen of all people, as if to drive home what an complete asshat you are, for anyone that might have given you the benefit of the doubt

Hypocrite is the word that springs to mind

Just a friendly suggestion, Mr D-head, but if you want people to take what you say seriously (rather than just pointing out what an idiot and hypocrite you are) you might try not being a complete idiot and complete hypocrite, and might also try not aligning yourself with wankeroutwest, this site's current winner of "Liar of the year" award.

Like I said just a friendly suggestion, which you will no doubt ignore

Posted by: FacePalm | Mar 3 2015 16:33 utc | 203

Note that even the dishonest moron WankerOutWest managed to comment on the content -

whereas Mr D-head Benu decided, after ranting " I actually don't believe a damn word that has been printed by MSM or uttered by "officials" about the Tsarnaev "case" " , to actually link to one of these crap dishonest MSM sources as some sort of belated "reply" to what I posted @181

Hard to fathom the thought process of some moron that first claims that he "doesn't believe a damn word" of MSM reporting on Tsarnev's case, but then uses a known dishonest MSM source (WaPo), written by a woman known for her dishonesty, as some sort of "reply"

The fact that Mr D-heads link confirms exactly what I said, and what WBUR reported, makes it all the more hilarious.

It never seemed to occur to Mr D-head that no confirmation by the MSM is required as Tsarnevs Defence Counsels clam can easily be tested in court by showing the alleged video

---

It is a measure of how dishonest you are that you chose to frame it like that

Not only did I NOT make any claim regarding about the alleged video being "chilling" (those are the words of the State Gov as reported by the MSM, not my words), Tsarnevs Defence Counsel made the claim about the video being non-existant in court. And that claim was reported by WBUR, not me

I have stated that several times now, so even an idiot should be able to understand it.

Posted by: FacePalm | Mar 3 2015 16:48 utc | 204

202

Evidence not shown is not evidence.

Well . . . . . duh!

Posted by: FacePalm | Mar 3 2015 16:50 utc | 205

Of course there's no video of them putting the bag down. Who the FCUK is even disagreeing with that at this point, besides WOW who disagrees with most everyone on most everything? I've never seen any regular commenter here entertain the ideas posed by the fake Chinese 'Danny' either, until WOW just did.

Is the troll mad because no one will play with him besides WOW?

Posted by: L Bean | Mar 3 2015 17:18 utc | 206

Posted by: L Bean | Mar 3, 2015 12:18:20 PM | 206

Then you clearly need your eyes tested Mr Bean

At the time of the Media-farce that was the aftermath of those bombings, this site contained tons of comments from regular comments which very definitely did "entertain the ideas posed by the fake Chinese 'Danny'"

You were probably having a long nap at the time though

Posted by: FacePalm | Mar 3 2015 17:29 utc | 207

Mr Bean is probably still peeved that I laughed at his silly "It woz the Ukies wot done it" claim, based entirely on the presence of some Ukie goon in Moscow the day after

Posted by: FacePalm | Mar 3 2015 17:31 utc | 208

Folks, I think you should take all this frantic trolling as a compliment. If you weren't on point and making astute, intelligent comments there would be no need for this barrage of childish antics. Divide, distract and annoy. It's the only thing they can do. Debate truth? They avoid it like the plague. I've begun to glance at the name connected with the post before I read them. When I see certain names I ignore them. Unless...of course...I feel the need for a laugh. They can change names all they want....by their actions they will be known. Congratulations MOA commenters...you've hit a nerve and gotten a response... be proud. If you weren't having an effect...the clowns wouldn't be here.

Posted by: Scott | Mar 3 2015 17:34 utc | 209

You read that comment and concluded it was my Theory™? Sounds like you're the one who's been napping.

Anyway, as troll as you are, I think we might've been buddies years ago and blogs away. You do sound familiar.

Bitchier, now. But familiar.

Posted by: L Bean | Mar 3 2015 17:37 utc | 210

Dear Scott, simply shouting about trolls everytime someone points out your stupidity just makes you look like an even bigger fool than previously

210
I have No idea what you are talking about, but then most of the time neither do you, from what i can see

Posted by: Facepalm | Mar 3 2015 17:44 utc | 211

@ 210 Bean

Divide, distract and annoy. Lol. Let them play their games alone. I've read many of your posts. You are far too smart to let playground name calling bother you. Why try to debate a child? It never works. And allowing these morons to affect you...it's their goal. When they are ignored. They become pointless. Which is, of course what they are anyway. But to waste your time...or mine...or anyone's on them? Why? They have a purpose...and they only succeed when we allow them to. That's why this post is for you...not them.

Posted by: Scott | Mar 3 2015 18:14 utc | 212

Divide, distract and annoy.

No just "Laugh at" when you're being stupid - which you were

Posted by: FacePalm | Mar 3 2015 18:33 utc | 213

eh, it's a dead thread anyway.

Posted by: L Bean | Mar 3 2015 18:47 utc | 214

@Scott #212:

With me it's "when I see certain names I read them. And L Bean is not one of those names.

Posted by: Demian | Mar 3 2015 22:20 utc | 215

@106 It was indeed patriotic rally. People were holding hundreds of Russian flags... and shouting "Russia without Putin" at the same time.

Posted by: Ulster | Mar 3 2015 22:25 utc | 216

Oh please Demian, I hardly ever even comment here. I've commented in the past few days probably more than I have in the past year, and it's still under your average hourly tally.

You're just pissed that I called out your fawning over hokey 'spy' movies and that vile CIA-created Russophobic show "The Americans", which you are 'fond' of because ... the Russian characters actually speak Russian correctly. Or something.

Posted by: L Bean | Mar 3 2015 22:39 utc | 217

@Ulster #216:

So now you're a Russian patriot?

Posted by: Demian | Mar 3 2015 22:39 utc | 218

@Facepalmmoron

Who said anything about Bereza and Nemtsov being romantic rivals? They were just using services from the same rent-a-girl. Pretty good asset for someone who wanted Nemtsov dead for other reasons - swindling Bereza and Osmayev's sugar daddy Kolomoisky, creating an anti-Russian "martyr," etc.

If Anna provided investigators with information implicating the Kolomoisky boys, it's a pretty dramatic demonstration of why professional assassins leave no witnesses. She probably would have been safer staying in Russia than going back to Kiev.

Posted by: Thirdeye | Mar 3 2015 22:43 utc | 219

@ 215 Demian
Thanks for the heads up. But Bean seems ok to me. We all can disagree from time to time, and we do, but the main thing is we stick together. And Ulster now is a Russian patriot? Lol. You know better than that. Unless of course, he's finally had a moment of clarity. My fear is it's just a momentary thing. Stay strong and keep us up to date on what you read in Russian comrade...I always read your posts.

Posted by: Scott | Mar 3 2015 22:50 utc | 220

@Thirdeye #219:

One Russian blog post argued that Nemstov was actually a triple agent working for the Russians (feeding false information to the Kiev junta, for example), and the Americans had him killed once they figured that out. Anyway, you can keep track of the investigation at Fort Russ. It is turning out to be more transparent than I expected.

@Scott #220:

That was a joke. Obviously, anyone who hates Putin is the exact opposite of a Russian patriot.

Posted by: Demian | Mar 3 2015 23:07 utc | 221

@ 221 Demian

I was really wondering. Lol. I thought either he had finally gone sane or you went nutty. And I don't see you going nutty. There sure seems to be an awful lot of troll activity here. That's a sign we are all doing something right. Oh,...and Demian? I like your sense of humor.

Posted by: Scott | Mar 4 2015 0:09 utc | 222

With me it's "when I see certain names I read them. And L Bean is not one of those names.

Posted by: Demian | Mar 3, 2015 5:20:17 PM | 215

Can't speak for Mr Bean but, coming from demian, I'd definitely take that as a compliment.

Posted by: Facepalm | Mar 4 2015 1:25 utc | 223

@Demian #221

If the Osmayev direction pans out, it would implicate Kolomoisky more than any government apparatus. Volunteer battalions continuing the proud traditions of the Russian mafiya groups of the '90s, doing the dirty work for oligarchs.

J. Hawk over at Fort Russ points out some inconsistency between the known movements of the assassin and Anna's account. The assassin first approached from the front, giving everyone an opportunity to see the other's faces, before shooting Nemtsov. She claimed to be unaware of the assassin's presence until the shots were fired. Putting that together with the fact that Anna wasn't shot, it's looking more and more like Anna had a knowing role in the setup, either voluntary or forced. If Anna recognized the assassin's approach from the front, she would know to put a little distance between herself and Nemtsov. Anna as a knowing accomplice would implicate Bereza, and again, Kolomoisky.

Posted by: Thirdeye | Mar 4 2015 1:57 utc | 224

Has anyone read any actual news about the truck/snowplow driver or the reported malfunctioning video cams?

Posted by: Wayoutwest | Mar 4 2015 1:59 utc | 225

@Wayoutwest #225:

Not I. FWIW, I don't think the killers had anything to do with the nonfunctioning of video cams.

@Thirdeye #224:

What would Kolomoisky's motive be for having Nemtsov killed? To make Putin look bad? Even the US State Department has said that the government of the RF had no reason to kill Nemtsov.

As for the girl, there was an an interview with her that got deleted from Youtube for copyright violation. I don't know if it's at the Web site of the people who did the interview, Dozd TV. Dozd is the main anti-Kremlin video news site. It was taken off Russian TV about a year ago. A comment to that blog post I linked to said that the girl said in the interview that she had the right not to answer investigators' questions. That certainly throws her innocence into question. But if she was involved in the plot, why was she not killed along with Nemtsov? Romantic that I am about hit men, I can understand an assassin not killing an innocent witness, but why take the risk of sparing a known witness who was in on the plot?

Although the manner of the shooting was unprofessional, investigators are saying that the operation itself was professional, with about 8 people being involved, with 3 cars which trailed Nemtsov and the girl in addition to the one car with the killer and driver. (So apparently some surveillance cameras were working.)

Posted by: Demian | Mar 4 2015 2:29 utc | 226

@ 225 WoW
No. And I want to read about it. WTF. There should at least be info on the cameras.

Posted by: Benu | Mar 4 2015 2:34 utc | 227

And the snowplow.

Posted by: Benu | Mar 4 2015 2:35 utc | 228

Demian @ 226

That is a very good question.
Yet like Thirdeye points out, the assassin supposedly came from the front, up the stairs from the parking area. She must have seen him.

But, you know, the video we do have...like the Tsarnaev video (or lack thereof) that off-his-meds FacePalm was going on about earlier today...in the video we do have, the snowplow or street cleaner blocks our view...

Posted by: Benu | Mar 4 2015 2:49 utc | 229

I think foff did it. That would account for his strange behaviour lately.

Posted by: dh | Mar 4 2015 2:54 utc | 230

@225 wow.. yes, i have over at ks.. go over and read yalensis's posts.
ks = kremlin stooge blog..

Posted by: james | Mar 4 2015 2:58 utc | 231

I think pointing the blame directly at Putin is a mistake but there could be other people in the government that may have had reasons to remove an irritant such as Nemtsov. Someone in the NSB could have thought they were doing Putin a favor or more likely were trying to produce an international embarrassment.

If what I have read is correct Putin does not have the total control or support of the security agencies such as the Central Committee of the USSR maintained.

Posted by: Wayoutwest | Mar 4 2015 3:06 utc | 232

@Wayoutwest #232:

What I've read is that Putin has control and support of the "power ministries", whereas liberals are in control of other ministries, such as the finance ministry and central bank. Thus Putin's hold on power is limited, but not on account of security agencies. Of course, this is all speculation and I could be wrong.

Some more speculation. I don't think even rogue elements in Russian security agencies assassinate anyone any more. That is the stuff of Hollywood movies like The Fourth Protocol and Octopussy. (All of which are very enjoyable.) Nemtsov was simply not a significant actor in Russian politics anymore. It wouldn't occur to any Russian to assassinate him. Also, the way the Kremlin deals with its potentially serious opponents now is by putting them into legal trouble.

The Strelkov-connected blogger El Murid has a story about a purportedly Novorossiyan blog posting a video in which Novorossiyan rebels take credit for killing Nemtsov. So this could have been a false flag run by Kiev to discredit the rebels.

Posted by: Demian | Mar 4 2015 3:33 utc | 233

The BBC report on Nemtsov's funeral today mentions that the Russian Federal Protection Service stated that their cameras didn't record the shooting because their cameras were pointed at the Kremlin. This seems very odd to me, are they worried about someone escaping from the Kremlin and not worried about threats from outside its walls.

Posted by: Wayoutwest | Mar 4 2015 3:34 utc | 234

@234 - they can say anything they want.. they might know a lot more then they are letting on.. it is laughable they would tell the bbc much of anything as it just gets twisted into bullshit anyway..

Posted by: james | Mar 4 2015 3:36 utc | 235

@Demian #226

I think Nemtsov became expendable when those supporting his "opposition research" and "corruption research" realized he was taking them for a ride. Lots of money in and all there was to show for it was his lavish lifestyle. In short, he was calculated to have more value to those trying to damage Putin as a martyr than as an untrustworthy ally who constantly had his palm extended. I don't know for sure, but I would bet, that Kolomoisky was one of his angels. Anna (through Bereza) and Osmayev point us towards a Kolomoisky-supported operation.

Regarding why Anna was spared I can only speculate. Maybe there was a question of honor over her co-operation or maybe Bereza is horny. Blowing away another commander's little cookie could lead to trouble. Looking at it from a strictly rational-pathological point of view, they could have created a much worse media storm by turning her into a young, attractive martyr.

Posted by: Thirdeye | Mar 4 2015 3:42 utc | 236

Posted by: Ulster | Mar 3, 2015 5:25:39 PM | 216

russia without Putin is like Russia with Khodorkovsky = Ukraine with Porky
a win for TeamAmerica

Posted by: brian | Mar 4 2015 4:41 utc | 237

The Saker just made one of his weird posts. He argues that the reason that the West is so persistent in maintaining its anti-Russia line since the Kiev coup is persisting Western resentment at Russian winning WW II. According to the Saker, Hitler was originally the West's man, like Saddam Hussein.

I find it very hard to take this seriously. The US basically just continues England's foreign policy. (Even the Zionism in US policy began with Britain.) Since the modern period began, English policy with respect to Europe has consistently been not to let a dominant power emerge on the continent. England orchestrated the two world wars to prevent Germany from becoming the dominant power on the continent. Hitler and the Nazis had nothing to do with that, one way or the other.

As for Russia, I think our Vintage Red has explained why the Anglosphere is so determined to destroy it: The Geographical Pivot of History.

Posted by: Demian | Mar 4 2015 5:28 utc | 238

@Demian #238

Hitler was the west's - or at least western Europe's - man until he threatened their ambitions for dominating eastern Europe. Almost to the outbreak of war they were trying to encourage him to be a good boy and focus on the Soviet Union. That's what Munich was about. He got into trouble when he shifted his attention to Britain's client, Poland.

The Anglo ambition of dominating a Near East and eastern Europe composed of weak, servile states is exactly the same now as it was 100 years ago.

Posted by: Thirdeye | Mar 4 2015 6:17 utc | 239

Alexander Mercouris made a well reasoned analysis of the killing. As I said before, investigators have said that there were three cars trailing Nemtsov. As far as I can tell, that would not have been necessary if the girl were in on the plot. So that removes the question of why she was not killed.

The person who carried out the shooting … and his associate or associates knew how to steal the get away car and to change its licence plates.
That is standard practice when performing a hit.

Posted by: Demian | Mar 4 2015 7:59 utc | 240

I cannot believe it. Ulster is back. After leaving all of that BS about Ukraine and NATO. Sorry boob, you lost that one.

Posted by: ToivoS | Mar 4 2015 8:09 utc | 241

From Fort Russ:

That he was active in the opposition for a decade without any political chances may also speak for the fact that it simply became a lucrative business. His friend Irina Khakamada, said that Nemtsov lived of[f] the money of the sponsors, which was plentiful. He also admitted in his wiretaps, that money was not an issue. Offering to fly another activist for an urgent meeting in a helicopter was not unusual, as was his high roller lifestyle and patronage of elite escort services.

That might not sit well with his sponsors.

Posted by: Thirdeye | Mar 4 2015 22:32 utc | 242

Irrefutable proof that Putin killed Nemtsov

Posted by: Demian | Mar 5 2015 3:48 utc | 243

@218 I wasn't marching for Nemtsov because I no longer live in Russia. For those marching there Russia can develop without Putin and I fully support the idea. Putin here is just a frontman for the chekist regime, that formed a new nomenclature and enjoys practical immunity from law. The whole conservative Orthodox revolution is just a distraction as you can't find people having less common with christianity than those populating Rublovka. They are waiting for Ivan the Terrible, because they need a dictator to guarantee this immunity to them and the goods they have looted. I'm waiting for Peter the Great, who really transformed Russia and made it an empire, but in the modern way.

Posted by: Ulster | Mar 5 2015 7:57 utc | 244

And now the mole theory, according to which the Ukies figured that they were getting played, and not just for money.

Posted by: Thirdeye | Mar 5 2015 8:23 utc | 245

@Thirdeye #245:

Yeah, I brought up the Nemtsov being a triple spy theory, before that got translated into English, IIRC.

@Ulster #244:

Well, that is the clearest explanation of where you're coming from that you have yet given. So it appears that you are Russian after all. The criticisms you make of the current Russian political system may be largely valid for all I know. Although I don't think that there's much question that the American political system is more corrupt and insidious than the current American one. And since EU countries are currently vassals of the US, that doesn't really leave any country but Russia (and China and Iran) to work for human progress, despite Russia's flaws.

As a Germanophile, I am sympathetic to your positive valuation of Peter the Great. The Western model that Russia should have emulated was the German one, not the Anglophone one. But Germany has been so subjugated by Anglophone neoliberalism that the German model no longer exists. Thus, Russia largely has to start from scratch. (With Putin!)

Posted by: Demian | Mar 5 2015 9:11 utc | 246

I meant triple agent.

I wish it were possible to edit comments after you've posted them.

Posted by: Demian | Mar 5 2015 9:14 utc | 247

What little "evidence" is available, from the few police statements, indicates that Nemtsovs murder was a local job.

========
247

Dear moron, when you get to "triple agents" its time to stop .
. . . . . (making an idiot of yourself in public)

Would 3 double agents be equal to 2 triple agents?

Posted by: Facepalm | Mar 5 2015 12:14 utc | 248

"local"= domestic. Internal. Russians of some sort carried it out

Posted by: Facepalm | Mar 5 2015 12:16 utc | 249

@Facepalm:

You Russophobic idiot/troll, triple agent is a well defined term.

Posted by: Demian | Mar 5 2015 12:51 utc | 250

Yeah demian suuuuure

clearly then the moscow police are also "Russophobic", cos they're the ones releasing the statements which indicate that it was Russians of some sort that carried out the hit

Even on your good days, demian, you're still just an utter clown,

Posted by: Facepalm | Mar 5 2015 12:56 utc | 251

Re my post #246:

I don't think that there's much question that the American political system is more corrupt and insidious than the current American Russian one.

Posted by: Demian | Mar 5 2015 12:59 utc | 252

250

Triple agent is a wonderful term full of intellectual rigour I'm sure, demian

And to see clowns like you wielding it with such abandon is an hilarious farce of the almost tragic proportions

Posted by: Facepalm | Mar 5 2015 12:59 utc | 253

Would a double agent, squared, be a quadruple agent, demian?

Enquiring minds wish to know

Posted by: Facepalm | Mar 5 2015 13:03 utc | 254

Facespam@254

OT, but what do you think of Judy Clark's opening statement "It Was Him" at the Boston Bomber trial?

Posted by: Wayoutwest | Mar 5 2015 14:23 utc | 255

I'd call it : An almost hilarious farce of tragic proportions

Posted by: Facepalm | Mar 5 2015 14:28 utc | 256

@256

What, no CIA mind control or nano-bot slave masters hiding the 'True Story'? I'm surprised by your brevity and I don't think the limping victim in the courtroom think it is a farce but they might view it as a personal tragedy especially those with dead friends or relatives.

Posted by: Wayoutwest | Mar 5 2015 14:54 utc | 257

249, 251

"Russians of some sort"

mmmk, like from the Taiga?
maybe an army of Babushkas?

Oh, wait, Russians of some sort did Boston! Bingo!!

Posted by: citizen X | Mar 5 2015 15:04 utc | 258

"Russians of some sort"

mmmk, like from the Taiga?
maybe an army of Babushkas?

Posted by: citizen X | Mar 5, 2015 10:04:29 AM | 258

Certainly not an army of Ukies anyhow, as claimed by most of the idiots that have voiced their "thoughts" on the subject so far

Oh, wait, Russians of some sort did Boston! Bingo!!

I knew at least one of the resident geniuses here would eventually manage to get themselves tied up in a loop. Good doggy

Posted by: FacePalm | Mar 5 2015 15:48 utc | 259

Posted by: Wayoutwest | Mar 5, 2015 9:54:44 AM | 257

Concern Troll speaks

Posted by: FacePalm | Mar 5 2015 15:50 utc | 260

254

The image of WankerOutWest masquerading as an outraged self-appointed advocate, full of all the usual self-righteous bombast one finds in such creatures, on behalf of the Boston Bereaved will be a sight to behold indeed

Posted by: FacePalm | Mar 5 2015 15:59 utc | 261

@261

I know you and your ilk have shown no concern for the victims of the Boston Bombing and since the conspiracy nonsense you have spewed for a year was buried with three simple words from DT's lawyer you have nothing left to offer but insults to cover your ignorance and vanity.

Posted by: Wayoutwest | Mar 5 2015 16:07 utc | 262

. . ilk . .

lol

like I said . . . ."a sight to behold indeed "

Posted by: FacePalm | Mar 5 2015 17:00 utc | 263

Whodunnit?

First Suspects in Nemtsov Murder Identified

Confirmation by Head of Federal Security Service (FSB)
(TASS - russian news agency)
Wed, Mar 4 |

. . . [The] Car tied to Nemtsov killing belongs to enterprise serving government bodies

The car sought in connection with the murder of Russian opposition leader Boris Nemtsov belongs to a federal state unitary enterprise (FSUE) providing services to the Finance Ministry, Goznak, the Russian state body that prints banknotes, and other agencies, the Finance Ministry said earlier on Wednesday.

"The Ford car we are talking about does not belong to the Finance Ministry," the ministry’s press service told TASS. "This is a vehicle of an in-house security service, an independent FSUE providing services to the Finance Ministry, Goznak and other bodies."

Some Russian geezers, by the looks of it

Posted by: FacePalm | Mar 5 2015 17:26 utc | 264

SO

there's the car, apparently registered to something called a "FUSE"

and then the Moscow Street Cleaning Truck

then some apparent knowledge of the traffic-cameras [conveniently non working for the most part]

but no

simply must be them damn Ukies

Posted by: FacePalm | Mar 5 2015 17:30 utc | 265

FSUE

lol

Posted by: FacePalm | Mar 5 2015 17:48 utc | 266

@265

Get back to us when you understand the provenance of the Dudayev Battalion in Ukraine and the "sort" of Russian deduced from images of faces in a suspect vehicle.

Traffic cameras show the road, not the walkway. That's why they're called "traffic cameras."

Posted by: Thirdeye | Mar 5 2015 17:57 utc | 267

FP at, well, all over -- I have a theory. I think you did it. Unrequited love from Nemtsov, jealousy of his Ukrainian actress friend drove you to do it in her presence.

Posted by: rufus magister | Mar 5 2015 18:12 utc | 268

@265

Get back to us when blah blah blah . . .

Posted by: Thirdeye | Mar 5, 2015 12:57:01 PM | 267

ok I'll play

SO

there's the car, apparently registered to something called a "FSUE" - FSUE - let me help you with that: "F" Federal, "S" State, Unitary Enterprise

and then the Moscow Street Cleaning Truck - "Moscow" as in the City, "Moscow Street Cleaning Truck" as a truck owned/operated-by/contracted-to the City of Moscow for the purpose one presumes of cleaning the highways and byways of the city of Moscow. Indicating again fairly solid local (as in "Moscow") contacts/knowledge

Contrary to your ridiculous definitve-sounding-but-ultimately-false claim, Traffic cameras do very often show the walkway, this should not be at all surprising since in most cases the walkway is close by, often indeed also parallel to, and also often crossing over, the traffic flow itself.

And indeed one camera that was working and did show an image of the walkway, would also have shown both the walkway and the incident itself had it's view not been very very inconveniently blocked by the aforementioned Moscow Street Cleaning Truck during the crucial moments

Knowing the exact spot which was not covered by cameras indicates access to some extensive local knowledge ergo: "some apparent knowledge of the traffic-cameras [conveniently non working for the most part]"

Also according to Moscow Police statements, Nemtsov apparently dismissed his driver before entering the restaurant to meet Anna D who was already inside

So Nemtsov is obviously the one who made the decision on his route and method for returning home, and seems to have made it before meeting Anna D.

So Anna D, despite the ocean of stupidity and retarded theorising I've seen so far on the subject, both here and elsewhere, seems not to have been the one that caused Nemtsov to choose that route, and all the hysterical gibbering at Fort Russ and here and elsewhere was fer nowt.

Posted by: FacePalm | Mar 5 2015 18:40 utc | 269

What compelled Nemstov to dismiss his driver?

Posted by: Anonymous | Mar 5 2015 18:59 utc | 270

Or FuckFace trolls.

Posted by: Anonymous | Mar 5 2015 19:14 utc | 271

I'm still wondering what happened to the truck driver and the car could have been stolen. The statement by the Kremlin security that their cameras were all aimed at the Kremlin is also strange.

Posted by: Wayoutwest | Mar 5 2015 19:23 utc | 272

in re 270 - I saw a report that over 35K have signed up for Banderastan's MiniTrue InfoWars. Glad to see they could spare us nice surly troll.

Posted by: rufus magister | Mar 5 2015 20:07 utc | 273

in re 281 -- Yeah, just a bloodyclown. So?

Posted by: rufus magister | Mar 5 2015 20:19 utc | 274

"I think that time has come for the Jewish financial and political elites in Russia to wake up and stop hiding themselves behind masks, which hardly disguise their origins and their creed, exchanging Communist Party membership for a baptismal certificate. If they do not respect themselves, they cannot expect others to respect them."

not only in russia but worldwide

a knight sacrificed,a kings pawn,5 hands,shall bring piece to the land.

Posted by: mcohen | Mar 5 2015 23:08 utc | 275

in re 283/4 -- Centralize your excrement, dude. I believe the track is "Mad Professor" by the Insane Clown Posse (love that name!). Here's the good Prof himself, with the Faya Horns.

I think I prefer the Mad Professor with Sly and Robbie over "Scratch" myself. It's wonderful what you can do with tape echo and analog audio processing. Throw in trippy video, what's not to like?

Posted by: rufus magister | Mar 6 2015 0:05 utc | 276

@mcohen #285:

Interesting piece. A couple of quotes.

Heinrich Heine, the famous German Jewish writer who considered his conversion to Christianity as the entrance ticket to European culture.
Heine's "conversion" to Christianity was absolutely correct, since he had to demonstrate himself as being rational in order to be taken seriously by the German public.

And what does a Jew "converting" to Christianity even mean? Rabbinic Judaism is nothing more than a reaction against Christianity. Christianity was a reformation of Pharisaic Judaism. Thus, a Jew who converts to Christianity is merely affirming his true identity as a Jew.

Israeli law is much stricter than Jewish religious law with a convert: A Jew who converted to another religion forever loses his right of return to Israel
Extraordinary. That shows you how much the Israeli elite hate Christianity. Because deep inside they realize that they are infidels, and that the Jew Paul showed them the true way.

Posted by: Demian | Mar 6 2015 0:33 utc | 277

As I'm here I might as well chime in on the topic. Presented for your consideration.

Mark Ames has a judicious look back at Nemtsov's career Boris Nemtsov: Death of a Russian liberal. After recounting his dubious role in privatization, Ames discusses his fall from power.

By August 1998, Nemtsov’s government went down in one of the largest and most devastating financial collapses of modern times.

The problem with Nemtsov’s politics wasn’t so much his adherence to radical neoliberalism, but his shallowness, his grotesque elitism, and his authoritarianism. Nemtsov is one of the top-down Russian liberals, cut from the same authoritarian cloth as Chubais....

Deep down Nemtsov had no problem with Putin’s authoritarianism. His problem with Putin came after being ignored for too long.

Why kill someone you've ignored? I don't know who had him killed, but I don't see where the Kremlin's gains outweigh their losses on this. And again, where's this supposed "evidence" about Russian intervention that Nemtsov was said to hold?

Origin of the car (stolen?) less relevant than the employer/controller of the operator and passengers.

And so it goes.

Posted by: rufus magister | Mar 6 2015 0:39 utc | 278

@rufus magister #286:

You simply can't quit your habit of feeding trolls, can you?

And I don't even consider Ulster to be a troll anymore. Unlike the troll with the provocatively trollish name of "FacePalm", Ulster never made numerous inane posts.

Posted by: Demian | Mar 6 2015 0:44 utc | 279

@rufus magister #288:

As someone in the blogosphere pointed out, Alexander Litvinenko also claimed to have evidence implicating the Kremlin, but he never came out with it, even though he had weeks to do so after he was poisoned with polonium.

And as I said before, reports indicate that the car was indeed stolen, with false license plates.

BTW, I never follow your links to music videos anymore. The ignorance of someone equating stopping being a fan of the Talking Heads with stopping being a fan of the Pink Floyd is inexcusable and unforgivable.

Posted by: Demian | Mar 6 2015 0:57 utc | 280

in re 290 -- Well, I'm just going to have to live with that somehow, I suppose.

I get a few late jibes in, after pages of horseplay, and I'm feeding trolls? Jesus wept!

Thanks though for the reminder about the car.

Posted by: rufus magister | Mar 6 2015 1:13 utc | 281

Demain can you drop the put-upon queen act, already? This blog doesn't need a nanny.

Posted by: Anonymous | Mar 6 2015 1:46 utc | 282

FP -- you're not paying attention, I have said next to nothing. Ranting and spitting seems more like your line.

Posted by: rufus magister | Mar 6 2015 12:28 utc | 283

Couple of things. From a "native", if you will.

1. Nemtsov was a complicated guy, with a complicated history. He was one of the big boys in Yeltsin's Kremlin back in the 1990s, and an MP since. What this means is that he had the opportunity to make a lot of money, and make a lot of connections with all sorts of people. [We know the former is true since there are public records of him filing a lawsuit against someone after making them a personal loan of $700k USD back in 2009. I don't know many Americans who have $700k USD cash sitting on them to lend a friend, never mind Russians.]

The killing was standard "hired gun" operation - car drives up, four rounds in the back, car drives off. There are any number of possibilities as to who'd hired the killers. Anything from current or former "business associates" (legal or not so much), to a current or ex-girlfriend, to, yes, a political hit. The truth is, nobody knows as of yet - people just automatically jump to conclusions. Great for the people.

2. Comparing Nemtsov to figures in U.S. politics - he was kind of like Ron Paul. You could count on a certain 5% of the electorate (or less) supporting him, but no-one took him seriously. At all. [And by the way, Khodorkovsky's little group now talks about "10%-15% support that we'd like to double over time", so 5% for Nemtsov - emphatically not a leader of the "liberal" movement since at least mid-last decade - is pretty accurate.]

Also, if you want to "cow the opposition", you still don't kill someone like Nemtsov. You kill Navalny, who's been in the media a lot. You kill Sobchak, who is a...let's say, she suddenly discovered that she was a liberal a few years ago, when she got a chance to make a career of it - but she's publicly visible. You kill anyone from "Eho Moskvy", which, for those who don't know, is the radio station that broadcasts things which would never get past the censor in U.S. media. [E.g. imagine a U.S. TV channel taking the "side" of the bombers after Boston marathon. Probably wouldn't last very long. Eho does this all the time, and Gazprom owns like half of it, poetically.]

So to me the political motive from the Kremlin side is pretty thin. Unless you spin a John Le Carre thing about double false flags with triple agents or something.

3. Is it possible this was a false flag to create a martyr? Of course it's possible, though it would be pretty much a slap in the face of the FSB to have either Ukraine's SBU or any Western agency do this sort of thing right in the capital.

Possible does not mean probable, however. Right now, anything is possible, and again, I'd start with the man's current business associations and then work my way back. Lots of people got capped in the 90s for "monetary" reasons, and he was as dirty as any of them (allegedly, never proven, of course).

4. By the by - it's a hit from a car. Can you find the car? Maybe. Can you trace the car to the two guys in it? Maybe. Can you find the two guys and get them to give you their employer? Maybe. See how many maybes? Imagine a murder like this in any Western city. What's the probability that it will be solved, or solved quickly? 50%? 30%? So I'd be realistic in that regard. The killers would need to make a bunch of mistakes for that to happen, at the least.

5. One last thing. Yes, he was shot "within steps" (200 meters, 1/8 mile) of the Kremlin. Because that's where he was walking with his girlfriend. While heading back to his apartment. What this tells me is that the guy had enough money to afford a place in the center of one of the most expensive (real estate-wise) cities of the planet, that's what it tells me first and foremost. Draw your own conclusions from there. A humble defender of liberal values and human rights, you say?

Anyway. Nothing is true, everything is permitted. The West (and Eho) will (and already are) point fingers at Putin (who must have done this personally!). Pro-Kremlin sites will (and already are) point fingers at Ukraine. I suspect the reality is more prosaic, but who cares?

Posted by: Angry Panda | Mar 6 2015 20:45 utc | 284

@ 298 AngryPanda
Thanks for your very interesting post.
I have heard that Assassin's Creed quote before but had never looked up its actual origin. Looking forward to reading Alamut.

Posted by: Benu | Mar 6 2015 22:04 utc | 285

#300 facepalm

3:21

Posted by: mcohen | Mar 6 2015 23:16 utc | 286

@Angry Panda #298:

Thank you very much for your cogent and extensive native's remarks. As for the car, Alexander Mercouris said it was stolen and had false license plates, which means it will provide no useful information. (Prints would probably also been wiped.) As for this being a standard "hired gun" operation: as has been noted before, professional killers prefer to fire two or three shots when they do a hit, whereas this killer fired six shots, only four of which hit the victim. This unprofessionalism suggests that the shooter was Ukrainian. But still, this killer was not entirely incompetent, since he did manage to get a fatal shot in to the heart from the back and not hit the girl.

Assassinations in Russia in connection with business dealings have gone down since the Yeltsin days. The two most notable things going on in the region at the moment are the Ukrainian civil war and the related US attempt to break up Russia. Ukrainian politicians keep on saying that Ukraine must commit terrorist acts in Russia. Why was Nemstov with a Ukrainian girl? Are there not enough pretty girls in Moscow?

The Nemtsov memorial rally in Russia used Ukrofascist slogans:

What do the Banderite and Nemtsov's memorial rallies have in common?

Posted by: Demian | Mar 6 2015 23:53 utc | 287

in re 297 -- You can't be bothered to differentiate between artist and title. Nor can you spot the differences between rap metal and dub reggae. But you're going to hector me about evidence. Face it, you're balmy mate.

As to the evidence to date -- about all we can say for certain is Nemtsov is dead, killed by a man with a pistol, and a stolen white car is involved. All else is speculation. When this first came up I agreed it was too early to name names (a minority opinion it seems), and that Putin was going to get tagged with the deed, whether he had it done or not. I said and keep saying, I don't see how Putin's gains outweigh the losses, so I think it unlikely he had it done.

I'm sure you'll continue to favor us with your charm, wit, and acuity. Make your self right at home under the Bolshoi Moskvoretsky bridge.

Oh, and by the way, here's a professional opinion. No warranties expressed or implied.

Posted by: rufus magister | Mar 7 2015 1:14 utc | 288

Demian at 91 -- Hey, thanks for the shout-out, humbled to be named with guest77 and rookie-of-year Scott.

In re 305, I do not intend to go "A Bridge too Far." I've said my piece on Nemtsov's murder. Until they arrest someone, anyway.

Posted by: rufus magister | Mar 7 2015 1:33 utc | 289

RM@305

Great link, only in Russia would they have a handy, stern faced, jailed hit-man ready to be interviewed about his profession, hilarious.

Posted by: Wayoutwest | Mar 7 2015 1:46 utc | 290

@rufus magister #305:

Thanks for that. I had missed it. There's also this:

CANVAS and Right Sector trail in the murder of Nemtsov

It is interesting that a terrorist act occurred in Kharkov a week before Nemtsov's murder.

@ #306:

Sure. When I needle you, that's just horseplay. Of course, I have other comrades here, but no other ones which I know to be in driving distance.

@ #303 304:

Buzz off, DickFace.

Posted by: Demian | Mar 7 2015 1:54 utc | 291

D @ 308 -- I found that in the links in the rally piece, I think they posted them about the same time. With all the orange, the rallies looked like Halloween.

Wayout @ 307 -- Thanks. We see plenty of criminals, but either pleading their innocence or confessing their guilt. But seldom for their expertise in their chosen professions. He didn't seem that impressed with the work. I'd call it semi-pro. Some surveillance, planning, but an untidy affair. As I believe the translator suggested, it all suggests time pressure. Or intense emotion, perhaps.

Posted by: rufus magister | Mar 7 2015 2:50 utc | 292

Balmy -- and why are you still loose? Get back to me if you ever figure out metal rap vs. dub. No, let's keep simple, song title vs. artist. Now back under Bolshoi Moskvoretsky Most with you.

Posted by: rufus magister | Mar 7 2015 3:33 utc | 293

@DickFace #316:

Your nazi side is loosing badly. Instead of making pathetic posts on progressive blogs, why don't you join the junta's failing war effort and try to kill some civilians and destroy some infrastructure? You are a blowhard coward.

Why are you not at the front? Ukies, unlike Novorossiyans, are not volunteering to fight, so people with your enthusiasm are needed by the UAF. And you don't even need to be Ukrainian to murder Ukrainians for the NAF. Swedes, Poles, and Americans do it.

Posted by: Demian | Mar 7 2015 3:47 utc | 294

@DickFace idiot:

The Americans appears on FX, whereas Homeland appears on Showetime, you ignorant twit.

Instead of making senseless rants, why don't you do something that would be useful from your point of view and go to Ukraine to kill innocent civilians.

Posted by: Demian | Mar 7 2015 4:07 utc | 295

If he's so "professional" how come he's in gaol?
Posted by: FacePalm | Mar 6, 2015 9:56:40 PM | 313

Can't argue with that - no matter what the profession.
A blunder leading to arrest and conviction = unprofessional.

Posted by: Hoarsewhisperer | Mar 7 2015 4:23 utc | 296

to hoarse at 324 -- Over 2 doz. satisfied customers seems like a going concern. It would give him more insight than anyone here, myself included. Whitey Bulger, then, would not be a professional. Or Al Capone.

Posted by: rufus magister | Mar 7 2015 6:30 utc | 297

B could you please remove the troll, at such volume of crap it makes it difficult to follow the valuable content of the threads.

Posted by: acrimonious | Mar 7 2015 12:13 utc | 298

2 suspects arrested according to BBC (First with the News).

Posted by: Hoarsewhisperer | Mar 7 2015 12:53 utc | 299

in re 329 -- Why was this a bad spot? What did he recommend for a public hit?

First to Aleksey Sherstobitov, aka Lyosha the Soldier, our expert. A former Ministry of the Interior officer, as part of the Orekhovo-Medvedkovo gang, he killed Otari "Otarik" Kvantrishvili in 2008, for which he is now imprisoned. Lyosha took him as he left the very public Krasnopresnenskiye banyas. This extensive account seems to suggest that authorities targeted the gang due to the involvement of police officials in it and its growing scope. I believe his credentials are in order.

Why a bad spot? Why is it not a Kremlin job?

On the site of the murder: “It’s one of the worst spots to choose for a murder. If you are trying to make a show out of it, shoot him in public, or in a restaurant. Or use a more powerful weapon.”

On the timing: “It’s unlikely that the killing was connected to the approaching march. These days intimidation of this sort does not work, so it would give only additional fodder for discussion. In my view he was not a politician who could influence anything. Many have forgotten about him. There are other, more bright stars, among the opposition.”

Posted by: rufus magister | Mar 7 2015 15:33 utc | 300