February 11, 2014

That Dead Giraffe

I resent lions that gorge cute giraffe babies. It is beastly and nasty when tofu is so delicious. How can a heardless human kill animals to feed lions. Will there be more revelations about zoos killing animals just to feed other animals? That would be a scandal! I am so enraged now, I'll stop reading such news and get me some bacon.

Posted by b on February 11, 2014 at 13:32 UTC | Permalink

Comments

"...tofu is so delicious."

That reminds of a book I tried to read.
Women are From Venus, Tofu is From Mars & Vegans are from Vega.

Posted by: Hoarsewhisperer | Feb 11 2014 15:04 utc | 1

Tofu sucks, as do zoos. Time for a change in learning habits.

Posted by: ben | Feb 11 2014 15:10 utc | 2

Denmark, the country that supplied troops for the Iraq war, still has troops in Afghanistan and dropped 11% of all the bombs dropped on Libya. Gets condemned for killing a Giraffe!

They should stick to killing poor people, apparently that is less of a scandal.

Posted by: Colm O' Toole | Feb 11 2014 16:15 utc | 3

And now that it has been proven that plants are beings that are much more sentient than we ever imagined, what about all those vegetarians eating plants? Or plants fetuses (seeds)? Disgusting. Just disgusting!

Tofu eaters (along with meat eaters) should all be publicly vilified and humiliated!

Posted by: JohnH | Feb 11 2014 16:34 utc | 4

Buying voters, selling planes, owning Le Figaro, setting up tricks against his victims with the little help of the Moroccan embassy: welcome to France and its little secrets!

Having said that, I was disgusted by the Danish zoo and its eugenist policy. They claimed that "they had already enough giraffes with the same genes as this one"... So nice!
Maybe we should send them a letter, explaining that we have a lot of politicians with Dassault's types of genes, and maybe they could give us a little help if we let them offer a public dissection afterwards?

Posted by: Mina | Feb 11 2014 17:41 utc | 5

Seeing the unusual color pictures in the newspaper of giraffe meat being fed to the lions I was reminded of reading Suetonius' excellent The Lives of the Twelve Caesars where, if my memory serves me, he describes contests in the Colosseum pitting wild beasts, including lions and giraffes, against each other.

In an attempt to locate the passage I stumbled upon this stimulating paragraph in the Wikipedia entry for the Roman Emperor Commodus:

Commodus was also known for fighting exotic animals in the arena, often to the horror of the Roman people. According to Gibbon, Commodus once killed 100 lions in a single day. Later, he decapitated a running ostrich with a specially designed dart and afterwards carried the bleeding head of the dead bird and his sword over to the section where the Senators sat and gesticulated as though they were next. Dio notes that the targeted senators actually found this more ridiculous than frightening, and chewed on laurel leaves to conceal their laughter.[19] On another occasion, Commodus killed three elephants on the floor of the arena by himself. Finally, Commodus killed a giraffe, which was considered to be a strange and helpless beast.

Posted by: Mike Maloney | Feb 11 2014 18:03 utc | 6

#6 Mike Maloney

nice one :-) twelve caesars is already ordered. I always enjoy stumbling over unintended book recommendations, sounds like a good read for the next days or weeks. Cheers ;-)

Posted by: peter radiator | Feb 11 2014 19:24 utc | 7

b you are off on this one. That Dane zoo guy is a sadist. Trying to package a gratuitous killing as "educational" is not acceptable. I happen to be a biological scientist and have "dispatched" a number of animals in my career but this act was not acceptable.

Posted by: ToivoS | Feb 12 2014 8:12 utc | 8

Egads. Saw Anderson Cooper drooling over this last night. What an asshole.

Remembering, when I lived on Paramount Ranch, seeing fifth wheel trailerloads of horses headed off to the killer auctions. 30, 40 horses at a time, because there was simply no market for them. There isn't a day goes by that the animal world, at the hands of humans, doesn't have some sort of despicable act committed against them.

One fuckin' giraffe??? Must of had a relative or two in high places to cause such a furor. You can bet its not in DC, though, because you'd have to be a monkey to have a relative there.

Posted by: PissedOffAmerican | Feb 12 2014 16:18 utc | 9

I've been living a rural life for two decades - plenty of meat from farms, hunters, and the ole ice fishing hole.

When anyone boasts about eating meat, they lose part of my respect. There is a big difference between eating an animal's flesh and bragging about it.

Liberal hypocrisy does not justify reactionary pot shots at 'vegetarians/vegans'.

Respect for life begins at the dinner plate and ends in global politics.

Posted by: Luther Bliss | Feb 12 2014 17:17 utc | 10

First they killed God, the nuclear family and now baby giraffes?
European culture reaches an all new low.

Posted by: Fernando | Feb 13 2014 0:00 utc | 11

Respect for life begins at the dinner plate and ends in global politics.
Posted by: Luther Bliss | Feb 12, 2014 12:17:57 PM | 10

Both statements are undoubtedly true.
I'm probably jealous, having seen a female relative "converted" by her seducer via the (powerful) Linda Eastman slogan "I wouldn't eat anything with a face" and noting, after some trepidation, that their children seem to be healthier, livelier, and more alert than average - dashing my hopes for a relapse to normalcy.

Posted by: Hoarsewhisperer | Feb 13 2014 2:54 utc | 12