April 14, 2013

Open Thread 2013-07

Found nothing to write about. Maybe you did.

News & views ...

Posted by b on April 14, 2013 at 16:07 UTC | Permalink

Comments

Resistance, Rebellion, and Writing

Albert Camus's dispatches on the Algerian crisis appear in English for the first time
George Scialabba
bookforum

“People expect too much of writers,” Albert Camus lamented in the late 1950s. At the time Camus was writing, the Algerian rebellion had grown into a full-scale guerrilla war for independence, and while his initial sympathy for the uprising led the French Right and the French Algerian settlers to denounce him as a traitor, he also came in for frequent polemical attacks from the French Left for not energetically and unequivocally supporting the insurgents. Criticism also came from the Algerian militants themselves. Frantz Fanon, the best-known Algerian writer, derided him as a “sweet sister.” Sartre, formerly his close friend, mocked Camus’s “beautiful soul.”

Camus’s complaint does him credit. He agonized over his political pronouncements in a way that the more brilliant, mercurial, doctrinaire Sartre never had to. In 1957, as the war ground on and positions hardened on both sides, Camus was awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature. Despairing of the Algerian situation but determined to answer his critics and, with the prestige of the Nobel behind him, make one final effort for peace and reconciliation, Camus assembled a short collection of his writings about Algeria, which was published in 1958. It appears now in English for the first time, ably translated by Arthur Goldhammer.

...(more)

Posted mostly for Christopher as well as others, hoping your in good health... Steel.

Posted by: Uncle $cam | Apr 14 2013 17:37 utc | 1

amendment:

Posted by: thomas | Apr 14 2013 19:25 utc | 3

- Something fishy coming out of Kuwait and my theory on it:

Kuwait has reported the theft of a massive amount of U.S. weapons. The Interior Ministry said thieves broke into a warehouse and stole a huge amount of firearms and ammunition. The ministry said 20,000 U.S.-origin M-16 assault rifles and 15,000 rounds for 9mm pistols were stolen.

My first thought was how the thieves managed to get away with stealing 20,000 M-16's. Not like they could just throw them on the back of a truck and drive away. This must have been a huge operation. The article also mentions that there were no guards on duty at the warehouse with this weapons cache.

Is it likely that this stuff was stolen deliberately to supply the Syrian rebels? Could the US have sent them over to the Jordan training camp and just made up a cover story to explain why Syrian rebels are appearing with M-16's? After all at present the US Military cannot give them weapons outright (only non-lethal aid and training). Saying the guns were stolen from Kuwait gives them a nice excuse for explaining this away.

- Venezuela's Election is today. The US puppet Capriles against Chavez successor Maduro. Polling suggests a Maduro landslide:

Polls suggest Chávez's political heir, Nicolás Maduro, is on course for a double-digit victory that would keep the ruling party in control of the world's biggest oil reserves and a country of 29 million people. The Datanalisis research firm puts the former union negotiator 17 percentage points ahead of his rival, Henrique Capriles. Others suggest the margin could be more than 20 points.

Will the US or Capriles try anything funny?

Posted by: Colm O' Toole | Apr 14 2013 19:45 utc | 4

see North Korea is Reacting to US Aggression Feel free to embed this video to give it a boost, I'm really working hard to prevent a war and could use all the help I can get. Also, did people here about Operation Plan 5029?

Posted by: Tom Murphy | Apr 14 2013 21:27 utc | 5

Let's talk Turkey, because high on the list of U.S. foreign policy goals is renewed normalization between two principal U.S. allies Israel and Turkey. This means settling the fallout from the deaths on the Gaza-bound aid ship Mavi Marmara in May 2010. Eight Turks and one Turkish American were killed on the ship.

Recently SecState Kerry has visited Turkey a couple times. While the US appreciates Turkish help on Syria it wants more. But Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan has indicated that normalization of ties with Israel would take time, saying that Turkey wanted to ensure the victims of a flotilla raid were compensated and Israel remained committed to the easing of restrictions of goods to Gaza before restoring relations. "We have said: An apology will be made [done], compensation will be paid and the blockade on Palestine will be lifted. There will be no normalization without these."

One out of three (the apology) isn't good enough. Perhaps some thought it was good enough -- there was much high-fiving about "reconciliation" after Obama coaxed Netanyahu into phoning Erdogan with an apology, but Erdogan has said that he wants and expects more.

If Turkey expects to have any influence in the Arab world, and it apparently does, then there will have to be Israeli action on lessening the Gaza blockade, or else the protesters would have died in vain. That's why they were protesting.

Erdogan is now scheduled to visit Gaza in late May, a time urged by Kerry, after a visit to the U.S. Word is that the U.S.would like Erdogan to fudge his Gaza visit with visits to West Bank and Israel as well. It might be interesting to hear what Erdogan will have to say in Gaza -- will he persist or will he fold?

Posted by: Don Bacon | Apr 14 2013 21:31 utc | 6

What about that Iran-Pakistan gas pipeline? Is it nearly done? Not quite.

Actually, it's an eastern mystery. The pipeline has been "inaugurated," but beyond that the actual situation is hazy.

President Asif Ali Zardari along with Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad inaugurated the multi-billion dollar Pak-Iran gas pipeline in Chahbahar on March 11. "We have finally signed the agreement with the Iranian government. Under the deal between the National Iranian Oil Company and Pakistan’s Interstate Gas System."

But there also needs to be a contract to the Iran company Tadbeer to actually lay the Pakistan section of the IP pipeline. The Iran section is mostly completed. Some news reports:

Apr 2: An inquiry has been started into the matter of awarding contract of laying Pak-Iran Gas Pipeline to an Iranian company, Tadbeer, on relatively higher rates than the international market.

Apr 4: Recent reports claiming the launching of an inquiry into the Iran-Pakistan pipeline project are unfounded, mala fide, and devoid of any truth. No contract for the laying of the 781-kilometer-long pipeline within Pakistan has been awarded.

Apr 4: “An Iranian team will arrive in Islamabad on April 15 and 16 to finalise the award of contract to Tadbir Energy of Iran.” [this week -- don't hold your breath]

There are some other questions too, like how much gas will flow through this 56-inch diameter pipe. News reports have varied from 21.5 mcmd (million cubic meters per day) to 110 mcmd (latest figure) to 750 mcmd. Pick a number. Also: It will be completed by the end of 2014 and provide enough energy to generate 4,000MW of electricity. Pakistan needs it, badly.

Posted by: Don Bacon | Apr 14 2013 22:11 utc | 7

@Uncle $cam

Does credit to Camus. Thanks for the tip.

Posted by: ajax151 | Apr 14 2013 22:16 utc | 8

@4, leaving weapons caches to be "found" by their agents is not new for the US Wehrmacht. See "Operation Bathtub"

Posted by: ruralito | Apr 14 2013 23:02 utc | 9

The story, according to NATO:

Anne Smedinghoff was the first American diplomat to die in Afghanistan during more than 11 years of warfare. Their mission was to deliver books to a school in Qalat, the capital of Zabul province, on April 6. Five Americans were killed in the bombing. Relatives of the victims have said they were told that Smedinghoff and her military escorts had been in an armored vehicle when it was rammed by a suicide vehicle

The truth, according to McClatchy:

American soldiers were escorting Anne Smedinghoff, 25, on a 200-yard walk from the local headquarters of the U.S.-led Provincial Reconstruction Team to what they thought was the school. A man at the gate said they had the wrong place, though, that this was the provincial agriculture institute. The group retraced its steps to the American base to figure out what to do next. A bomber was parked outside a nearby hospital, waiting for the provincial governor to drive by on his way to the school. As the governor's convoy passed, the bomb went off. While some in the governor’s convoy were wounded, none was killed. The only Afghan to die in the blast was a doctor, also on foot, who was outside the hospital. The Americans, nearby on foot, took the worst of the blast. The FBI has opened an investigation into the attack.

Posted by: Don Bacon | Apr 14 2013 23:04 utc | 10

The Progressive Movement is a PR Front for Rich Democrats

John Stauber

(....)

Does this information concern you? If not, you need to get out of the propaganda bubble of your Progressive Movement echo chamber and think. Think hard. Think about fundamental, radical, democratic, social and economic change, who might bring it about and how. Ask yourself if the the rich elite, the 1%, are going to fund that. Leave The Nation and Mother Jones on the shelf; turn off Ed Schultz, Rachel Madow and Chris Hayes; don’t open that barrage of email missives from Alternet, Media Matters, MoveOn, and the other think tanks; and get your head out of the liberal blogosphere for a couple days. Clear your mind and consider this:

The self-labeled Progressive Movement that has arisen over the past decade is primarily one big propaganda campaign serving the political interests of the the Democratic Party’s richest one-percent who created it. The funders and owners of the Progressive Movement get richer and richer off Wall Street and the corporate system. But they happen to be Democrats, cultural and social liberals who can’t stomach Republican policies, and so after bruising electoral defeats a decade ago they decided to buy a movement, one just like the Republicans, a copy.

The Progressive Movement that exists today is their success story....

(more)

Want transparency? First step: travel to DC

Even before it was enacted, the United States House and Senate voted unanimously to repeal a provision within the STOCK Act, a bill aimed at curbing insider trading among senior government officials. The repealed provision required that financial disclosure forms were accessible online.

Members of Congress and various government agencies weighed in after the National Academy of Public Administration issued an independent report in March which concluded that "posting personal financial information as required by the act does indeed impose unwarranted risk to national security and law enforcement, as well as threaten agency missions, individual safety, and privacy."

The Sunlight Foundation states that this action "sets an extraordinarily dangerous precedent suggesting that any risks stem not from information being public but from public information being online," and had previously noted that attempts to remove the online disclosure provision were reliant upon scaremongering and security through obscurity.

Additional coverage by The Center for Responsive Politics. Here's the 60 Minutes report from 2011 which investigated the ability of Congress members to trade stocks based on non-public information.

To many links, to post, go read it... Also, It's worth reading the comments too.. here's one that stood out, "Richard Shelby R-Alabama sponsor the original amendment expanding the stock act to cover much of the executive branch."

Yay! Casino house of mirrors and horror...

“I don't know what frightens me more, the power that crushes us, or our endless ability to endure it.”
― Gregory David Roberts, Shantaram

Posted by: Uncle $cam | Apr 15 2013 3:23 utc | 11

What the hell is going on in Venezuela?
Maduro just squeaked in by a razor thin margin, in spite of what was to my knowledge having a very large margin in the polls. Anyone been following?

Posted by: KenM | Apr 15 2013 5:32 utc | 12

Venezuela’s opposition leader Henrique Capriles has refused to concede defeat in the presidential election, saying Nicolas Maduro is not the winner and votes must be recounted.

Posted by: hans | Apr 15 2013 5:54 utc | 13

myanmar compromised
nepal taken over by pro fukusi maoists
*pro unification* ma ying jiu just sign a deal with jp over diaoyu
tw n jp share the fishing territory 50-50
future *incursions* by chinese fishermen might be ejected by tw fishery adm

over at nk,
in the recent nba rodman's sport pageant
only xinhua reporters are persona non grata
n china take note....no gaurantee that a nk missile launch might NOT gone *awry* n heading ur way !

fukus aka the real A[merican]xis of E[ngland]vil
are springing the traps one by one

what r the engineers in beijing to do with the seasoned mafiaso in washington/london ?

Posted by: denk | Apr 15 2013 11:01 utc | 14

Latest from Penny on Syria...

Posted by: ben | Apr 15 2013 14:45 utc | 16

Must read for today: Gitmo Is Killing Me
I usually do not quote in full length, but the NYT has a paywall and this IS a must read:

ONE man here weighs just 77 pounds. Another, 98. Last thing I knew, I weighed 132, but that was a month ago.

I’ve been on a hunger strike since Feb. 10 and have lost well over 30 pounds. I will not eat until they restore my dignity.

I’ve been detained at Guantánamo for 11 years and three months. I have never been charged with any crime. I have never received a trial.

I could have been home years ago — no one seriously thinks I am a threat — but still I am here. Years ago the military said I was a “guard” for Osama bin Laden, but this was nonsense, like something out of the American movies I used to watch. They don’t even seem to believe it anymore. But they don’t seem to care how long I sit here, either.

When I was at home in Yemen, in 2000, a childhood friend told me that in Afghanistan I could do better than the $50 a month I earned in a factory, and support my family. I’d never really traveled, and knew nothing about Afghanistan, but I gave it a try.

I was wrong to trust him. There was no work. I wanted to leave, but had no money to fly home. After the American invasion in 2001, I fled to Pakistan like everyone else. The Pakistanis arrested me when I asked to see someone from the Yemeni Embassy. I was then sent to Kandahar, and put on the first plane to Gitmo.

Last month, on March 15, I was sick in the prison hospital and refused to be fed. A team from the E.R.F. (Extreme Reaction Force), a squad of eight military police officers in riot gear, burst in. They tied my hands and feet to the bed. They forcibly inserted an IV into my hand. I spent 26 hours in this state, tied to the bed. During this time I was not permitted to go to the toilet. They inserted a catheter, which was painful, degrading and unnecessary. I was not even permitted to pray.

I will never forget the first time they passed the feeding tube up my nose. I can’t describe how painful it is to be force-fed this way. As it was thrust in, it made me feel like throwing up. I wanted to vomit, but I couldn’t. There was agony in my chest, throat and stomach. I had never experienced such pain before. I would not wish this cruel punishment upon anyone.

I am still being force-fed. Two times a day they tie me to a chair in my cell. My arms, legs and head are strapped down. I never know when they will come. Sometimes they come during the night, as late as 11 p.m., when I’m sleeping.

There are so many of us on hunger strike now that there aren’t enough qualified medical staff members to carry out the force-feedings; nothing is happening at regular intervals. They are feeding people around the clock just to keep up.

During one force-feeding the nurse pushed the tube about 18 inches into my stomach, hurting me more than usual, because she was doing things so hastily. I called the interpreter to ask the doctor if the procedure was being done correctly or not.

It was so painful that I begged them to stop feeding me. The nurse refused to stop feeding me. As they were finishing, some of the “food” spilled on my clothes. I asked them to change my clothes, but the guard refused to allow me to hold on to this last shred of my dignity.

When they come to force me into the chair, if I refuse to be tied up, they call the E.R.F. team. So I have a choice. Either I can exercise my right to protest my detention, and be beaten up, or I can submit to painful force-feeding.

The only reason I am still here is that President Obama refuses to send any detainees back to Yemen. This makes no sense. I am a human being, not a passport, and I deserve to be treated like one.

I do not want to die here, but until President Obama and Yemen’s president do something, that is what I risk every day.

Where is my government? I will submit to any “security measures” they want in order to go home, even though they are totally unnecessary.

I will agree to whatever it takes in order to be free. I am now 35. All I want is to see my family again and to start a family of my own.

The situation is desperate now. All of the detainees here are suffering deeply. At least 40 people here are on a hunger strike. People are fainting with exhaustion every day. I have vomited blood.

And there is no end in sight to our imprisonment. Denying ourselves food and risking death every day is the choice we have made.

Samir Naji al Hasan Moqbel, a prisoner at Guantánamo Bay since 2002, told this story, through an Arabic interpreter, to his lawyers at the legal charity Reprieve in an unclassified telephone call.

Posted by: b | Apr 15 2013 15:46 utc | 17

Mayor Bloomberg on Drones: “Oh it’s Big Brother. Get Used to it”

I'm shocked, I tell you, that the epicenter of bankers is also now the cutting edge in Big Brother loving attitudes! Bloomberg could not provide a more clear picture of just who and why liberty is under assault in this country. Way to go New Yorkers...how about a third term?

Perhaps Bloomberg is a modern-day Napoleon, but that would be an offense to the legacy of Napoleon.

Napoleon beheaded monarchs, liberated the serfs, and established a Civil Code in many European nations. True, he eventually became a tyrant in his own right.

What the F does Bloomberg have to his name? Banning sodas? Giving cops quotas for arresting people who have a joint on them? Kissing banker ass at every corner?

He's no Napoleon. Not even a pretender. He's a sleazy scumbag with a hideous, monstrous ego.

The way you stop this is by prosecuting and incarcerating the politicos who are in clear violation of the Constitution. We can start with Bloomberg and the NYPD's now-normalized daily violation of the Fourth Amendment through their warrant-less searches.

Needless to say, the city of New York is doomed not if, but when the QE bubble pops. They have no productive industry. Besides tourism, the entire economy is Finance, Insurance, and Real Estate (i.e., FIRE) with a big service sector built on the back of those core "industries". There are less than half a million people working in finance in NYC yet they collect about half of all wages/salaries in the city (total population of city = 8 million, of metro area = approx. 19 million).

When that QE bubble pops (and as the credit bubble keeps winding down, and as foreign investors are scared out of the banking system), the city will begin its inevitable slide back to 1977 complete with mass unemployment, rampant crime, and a cash-strapped municipality.

Remember that scene in The Dark Knight Rises where you see a doorman poke his head out of a luxury high-rise's lobby to see a crowd of hundreds of serfs marching towards him, with the intention of looting? Yeah ...

Posted by: Cynthia | Apr 15 2013 16:07 utc | 18

Good post b, but...

"I just hope that because of the pain we are suffering, the eyes of the world will once again look to Guantánamo before it is too late."

People who frequent these threads will understand, but, the rest of the world, at least the American part of it, just plain doesn't give a damn about injustices committed against any foreign person. The USA is morally bankrupt.

Posted by: ben | Apr 15 2013 16:29 utc | 19

the insufferable fukusans strike again
the most egregious land grabbers in human history warning
china not to use force to regain its rightful property

Posted by: denk | Apr 15 2013 16:57 utc | 20

Explosion at Boston Marathon from RT.

Posted by: ben | Apr 15 2013 19:47 utc | 21

I've got 9/2 odds on Hezbollah being held responsible for the Boston bombings before sunset

Posted by: Pat Bateman | Apr 15 2013 22:40 utc | 22

completely different subject, but in North Carolina Social Services are being prosecuted after the death of toddler Aubrey Kina-Marie Littlejohn. the story is that Social Services lied to cover up their failure to respond to serious complaints of abuse, and the mother has a lawyer who wants to sue, but who claims that Social Services are simply overwhelmed (but not too overwhelmed to falsify records???) in most places in the US, the real problem is that child protective services are paid to relocate kids, never mind that the stats show that the kids are abused and killed more in foster care, and the system is designed to prove the parent unfit while leaving kids in places they don't even look at.
I personally attended a case in Southern CA where the court didn't even want to hear where the kids were housed (which was in a different county!)
there's some sick incentive to yank the kids from the custodial parent and then not check up on them. North Carolina is quite a case in point.

Posted by: anon | Apr 16 2013 2:51 utc | 23

The Boston bombing - This is a odd one, no one claiming the act on the day of N.Korea celebrations on Monday marking the 101st birthday of Kim Il Sung.

The US does not like the mention of 'Domestic' terrorists, it evaded that with the Batman Cinema shooting with furry; the guy had bombs, booby traps, guns, ammo, he killed, but ended as a lunatic under gun law issues, 'not' a terrorist, even if it is by definition 100%? I remember the Mayor made a mention to domestic terrorism, and he was severely reprimanded and by the top, the administration - Yet he was absolutely correct...

Who done it is the big question? Who 'did' may be very different from actuality the general public will given, it always is; Or at least spun into some and yet again 'Lunatic' if a finger can't be pointed to something rational and acceptable. Whatever the outcome, the City of Boston suffers, citizens suffer, and the US has yet another event internally; cant the administration connect the dot's and see there is a serious problem?

Outside bombs in other countries in this same week took many more lives, like Iraq due to elections and US withdrawal and has near zero air time, also citizens and creation of US geopolitics.

Posted by: Kev | Apr 16 2013 2:52 utc | 24

hmm
must be those chinese *terrarists*
they r already blaming everything on china ...nk, the economy, cyberterror, military threat etc etc, innit ?

Posted by: denk | Apr 16 2013 5:01 utc | 25

Why look as far as North Korea, or take bets on Hezbollah being placed in the frame? Why not look for some right-wing nutjob 'sending a message' on Patriot Day, and targeting the families of victims of the Newtown massacre? (Some of them were supposed to be seated in the VIP stand). And of course, the entire marathon was being run as a fundraiser for Newtown victims and their families. High grade explosives were not used, the explosions took place several hours after the frontrunners had passed the finishing line, the entire thing seems to have been aimed at spectators and straggler runners and the ugly yet still lethal amateurishness suggests that something 'home grown' is just as likely as any speculation about long distance 'enemies'.

Posted by: Moody blues | Apr 16 2013 5:04 utc | 26

if people who reads alternate media still believe these cold war era bushits
what chance do the *sheeples* have, those who read only *cnn, faux , nyt ?

Posted by: denk | Apr 16 2013 9:11 utc | 27

For those following China in Africa one of the best blogs to watch is China in Africa: The Real Story by Deborah Brautigam, author of The Dragon's Gift. She has been following interactions between China and African countries since the 1980s. She reported back in February that a new GAO study is out: PDF: SUB-SAHARAN AFRICA Trends in U.S. and Chinese Economic Engagement

A team at the US Government Accountability Office (GAO) has just released a long-awaited study comparing US and Chinese export financing (and development finance more broadly) in Africa, based on detailed case studies of three countries, Angola, Kenya, and Ghana. ... I admit that I approached the final report with some trepidation. ... It is, quite simply, by far the best single analysis I have seen on China-Africa-US engagement in Africa. It is comprehensive, empirical, deep and broad, careful, and balanced. Readers of this blog will expect that I read it carefully. I did, and I'm almost surprised to find that I have nothing but applause for their work.

Posted by: xcroc | Apr 16 2013 23:12 utc | 28

For further analysis of the recent election in Kenya I'd recommend a look at Gathara's World both for the commentary and his political cartoons. He also adds historical perspective regarding the 2002 and 2007 elections. All of his March postings are worth reading, continuing into April, at least though April 11.

In these new waters, the familiar landmarks are still there but seem strangely reversed. The villains of yesterday have become the new heroes of today; the rehabilitation of Daniel Moi as a lovable and wise elder statesman is almost as complete as is the demonization of those who stood against him. In a darkly ironic twist, during the election season one paint manufacturer saw fit to run ads calling for brightly coloured "peace, love, unity," the slogan behind which Moi had wreaked havoc with our lives and livelihoods. Those who oppose impunity, who take a stand against corruption and electoral malpractice, who demand the freedom to speak their thoughts or dress as they wish - these are today’s enemies.

Although he scathingly mocked foreign journalists looking for violence, he also says:

I would like to believe that what we just witnessed was nothing exceptional, in the grand scheme of things. After all, as Charles Onyango Obbo puts it, “are messy and divisive not just in Kenya but everywhere.” So what’s the point of dwelling on it? Like everyone else, I long for an easy patriotism.

But I know that something is seriously wrong when we have to be constantly reminded that the outcome of an election is not a matter of life and death, when people stockpile food and water in its anticipation. I cannot ignore the fear that the election exposed, and the ease with which we were stampeded into tribal stockades. I know that this was not the best election we could have had, and that a democracy in which a large proportion of the population feels it has no say is neither working nor strengthened.

and

In 2007, so we are told, historical grievances, sparked by the refusal to accept a stolen election, led to a spontaneous orgy of killing and destruction. This, I think, is largely a work of fiction. Or at best, it is a selective retelling. It seems pretty much everyone who has looked into it has concluded that most of the violence was premeditated and prearranged. Meetings had been held and targets pre-selected; pre-outraged thugs had been paid, prepped, armed and ferried about. Politicians and radio stations incited, homes and churches were burnt and people died.

This picture is also interesting, all Kenyas presidents together in one room, taken over 30 years ago: pic.twitter.com/6zWdpbySPS

Posted by: xcroc | Apr 16 2013 23:30 utc | 29

dean baker: Obama’s Raid on Social Security and Medicare

The stench from President Obama’s attack on Social Security has led to a bipartisan revulsion with the ways of Washington. This is a great time to seize on the momentum.

As actually serious people have been pointing out, we should be looking to increase, not decrease Social Security. The other pillars of our retirement income system, pensions and individual savings, have collapsed. As a result, those approaching retirement are likely to be more even more dependent on Social Security than current retirees. If we want to ensure that people who have spent life working can enjoy something resembling a decent retirement, we will need to be expanding, not cutting benefits.

This does cost money, but we actually can afford it, in spite of the damage done by the Serious People to the economy. For a start we can raise the cap on wages subject to the Social Security tax, so that people earning over $113,000 pay the same tax rate as the rest of us.

If we can stop the upward redistribution of income, it would be reasonable to raise the payroll tax rate at some point in the future. The Social Security trustees project that average hourly compensation will grow by close to 50 percent over the next three decades. It hardly seems outrageous to take back one or two percentage points of this increase in higher taxes to support Social Security. The key issue will be ensuring that workers get their share of these gains rather than letting them all go to the Erskine Bowles of the world.

Toward this end we can impose a Wall Street speculation tax that will crack down the rapid flipping of stocks and other financial instruments. The Joint Tax Committee of Congress estimated that a tax of just 0.03 percent, as proposed by Senator Tom Harkin and Representative Peter DeFazio, could raise close to $400 billion over the course of a decade. This is more than three times as much as President Obama hoped to save by cutting Social Security.

secrecy news blog: Defense Support of Civilian Law Enforcement Agencies

In last Friday’s Federal Register the Department of Defense published a final rule on Defense Support of Civilian Law Enforcement Agencies. The rule specifies and defines the support that DoD may provide to federal, state and local law enforcement agencies, “including responses to civil disturbances.”

“The President is authorized by the Constitution and laws of the United States to employ the Armed Forces of the United States to suppress insurrections, rebellions, and domestic violence under various conditions and circumstances,” the new rule states.

“Planning and preparedness by the Federal Government, including the Department of Defense, for civil disturbances is important due to the potential severity of the consequences of such events for the Nation and the population. The employment of Federal military forces to control civil disturbances shall only occur in a specified civil jurisdiction under specific circumstances as authorized by the President, normally through issuance of an Executive order or other Presidential directive authorizing and directing the Secretary of Defense to provide for the restoration of law and order in a specific State or locality.”

The new rule, which forms part of the Code of Federal Regulations, is almost identical to DoD Instruction 3025.21 on “Defense Support of Civilian Law Enforcement Agencies” that was issued on February 27, 2013 (noted by Public Intelligence on April 11).

but also need to factor in the reactionaries who can't properly put 2 and 2 together...

southern poverty law center: The Year in Hate and Extremism

Capping four years of explosive growth sparked by the election of America’s first black president and anger over the economy, the number of conspiracy-minded antigovernment “Patriot” groups reached an all-time high of 1,360 in 2012, while the number of hard-core hate groups remained above 1,000. As President Obama enters his second term with an agenda of gun control and immigration reform, the rage on the right is likely to intensify.

While the number of hate groups remained essentially unchanged last year — going from 1,018 in 2011 to 1,007 in 2012 — the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) count of 1,360 Patriot groups in 2012 was up about 7% from the 1,274 active in 2011. And that was only the latest growth spurt in the Patriot movement, which generally believes that the federal government is conspiring to take Americans’ guns and destroy their liberties as it paves the way for a global “one-world government.” From a mere 149 organizations in 2008, the number of Patriot groups shot up to 512 in 2009, jumped again to 824 in 2010, and then skyrocketed to 1,274 in 2011 before hitting their all-time high last year.

Even before the election last year, self-described Patriots sounded ready for action. “Our Federal Government is just a tool of International Socialism now, operating under UN Agendas not our American agenda,” the United States Patriots Union wrote last year in a letter “sent to ALL conservative state legislators, all states.” “This means that freedom and liberty must be defended by the states under their Constitutional Balance of Power, or we are headed to Civil War wherein the people will have no choice but to take matters into their own hands.”

Posted by: b real | Apr 17 2013 16:09 utc | 30

HEALTH WARNING [no its not about h7n9]
**************************************************
the following is strictly for conspiracy nuts, else read it at ur own peril !

so they just *lock down* boston , easy does it
but u aint seen nuthin yet
one of these day they might even *shut down* a god damned country !
during the sars scares in 2003,

someone, i think its the cdc, was proposing that WHO be given the power to slap a quarantine order on any nation in the grip of a major epidemic...to protect the rest of the world !!

2003
*In the days preceding the emergence of the first SARS cases, American raced to the Pacific Rim to impact escalating aggressions on the Korean peninsula. Communist China-a "most favored" trading partner with America, is politically allied with several American enemies, including those said to possess weapons of mass destruction, including Iraq. Coincidental? Not likely when viewing the larger political picture involving the Ango-American oligarchy's RMA and instigated "conflicts short of war.*

ffw 2013
+*In the days preceding the emergence of the first h7n9 cases, American raced to the Pacific Rim to impact escalating aggressions on the Korean peninsula. Communist China-a "most favored" trading partner with America, is politically allied with several American enemies, including those said to possess weapons of mass destruction, including iran. Coincidental? Not likely when viewing the larger political picture involving the Ango-American oligarchy's RMA and instigated "conflicts short of war.*

just like 2003
WHO'S head honcho n his coterie of *h7n9 experts* [sic] are *combing* china , poking their collective noses in every chinese health facilities as they please, barking orders to an army of trembling chinese health officials.
at this moment if WHO snap *jump*, the chinese could only muster *how high my lord*, else a holler from WHO would *shut down* the country ,with devastating effect to the faltering economy ., already battered by the h7n9 assault

2003
*toronto will suffer half a billion dollars worth of lost business. Economies in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, and mainland China are taking heavy hits. Global airline $$ have fallen off. *

2013
*More and more masks are appearing on the faces of commuters in Shanghai. Drug stores like Watsons were sold out of hand sanitizer, a relatively novel product in China. The line for a popular storefront that sells roasted ducks on Huaihai Road, which in the early evening sometimes holds a hundred people, had just a dozen waiting at 5 pm on Sunday.

A new strain of avian flu has begun to take a toll on the Chinese economy.*

now where do i hear this before.. ?
*New methods of attack -- electronic, 'non-lethal', biological -- will be more widely available ... combat likely will take place in new dimensions, in space, cyberspace, and perhaps the world of microbes ... advanced forms of biological warfare that can 'target' specific genotypes may transform biological warfare from the realm of terror to a politically useful tool*.

inquiring minds want to know
why'r the health sleuths loitering at the crime scene harrassing the victims ?
shoudnt they be over here, apprehending the criminal ?

Posted by: denk | Apr 21 2013 14:20 utc | 31

looks like the *crazies* in beijing wanna start ww3 !

inquiring minds want to know,
what are they smoking in zhong nan hai ?
simultaneously *bullying* india, japan, vn, ph, sk, oz
dont they know these are cat paws of fukus , the 200 lbs gorilla waiting in the wing ?

*it isn't happening now because the crazies have taken over in Beijing. It's happening because the decision-makers in Beijing think that the crazies have taken over in Washington, and are trying to draw most of Asia into an anti-Chinese alliance. There is a good deal of evidence to suggest they are right. *

Posted by: denk | Apr 23 2013 16:53 utc | 32

So far the best compendium of the Boston marathon bombing by the Boston Globe:

102 hours in pursuit of Marathon suspects

In more than 100 interviews with police, government officials, residents, and tourists who witnessed the week’s events, Globe reporters sought to reconstruct the actions of law enforcement agents between the April 15 bombing that killed three people on Boylston Street and the capture of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev seven miles away in Watertown on April 19 after his brother Tamerlan was killed, the conclusion of an epic 102-hour manhunt that left one police officer dead and another badly injured. The newspaper inquiry turned up scores of new details, fleshed out the hard questions law enforcement confronted along the way, and the harder decisions it was forced to make. It also helped put many previously reported elements in proper order and context. A maelstrom of information — some factual, some speculative, some flat out wrong — followed in the wake of the calamity, as it always does in times of tumult. This story aims to assemble what is known, and remains to be seen, in one consecutive account.

Posted by: b | Apr 28 2013 18:37 utc | 33

Under the headline: Former CIA officer: ‘Absurd’ to link uncle of Boston suspects, Agency :-))

you can find out that uncle Tsarni was married to Graham Fullers daughter. Ex-CIA top official Graham Fuller is a specialist in Islamic extremism

Posted by: somebody | Apr 28 2013 19:15 utc | 34

somebody - Here's an interesting article from 2000 where Graham Fuller comments and speculates(in a professional capacity I assume)on an 'FBI-busted' bomb plot supposedly hatched by 'Algerian militants tied to Bin Laden'

The tone in his quips reek of Fuller having inside knowledge, so needlessly snarky and argumentative.

Posted by: L Bean | Apr 28 2013 21:00 utc | 35

ooops sorry forgot to insert link!

Posted by: L Bean | Apr 28 2013 21:02 utc | 36

thanks, yes Fuller seems to have been deeply involved in US policies making use of Islam

Ex-CIA Graham Fuller who served 15 years as an intelligence officer in various countries of the Middle East and Asia, wrote a book about Turkey, titled “The New Turkish Republic: Turkey as a Pivotal State in the Muslim World”, published in 2008. In his book, he fervently promotes the idea of “Moderate Islam”. The problem is, the man he helped escape to U.S.A. by providing references, Fethullah Gulen, was nothing but a “moderate.”

Fuller was deeply involved in Afghanistan in the 1980s, encouraged the Reagan administration to begin arming Iran against Iraq during their slugfest, and suggested to the Clinton administration that it should use Muslims to further US interests in Central Asia.

As a side note here, I wanted to mention that Muller’s daughter Samantha A. Fuller was married to Ruslan Tsarnaev. Yes, the uncle of the two Chechen brothers who are suspected of bombing the Boston Marathon. The couple divorced sometime before 2004. Interestingly, Ruslan worked for companies connected to Halliburton, the multinational juggernaut run by Dick Cheney before he became Vice President of the United States. He was also a “consultant” for the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) in the former Soviet Republic of Kazakhstan. Russia barred USAID from its soil in late 2012, alleging USAID together with CIA was attempting to influence the internal political processes in the country.

Morton Abramowitz, the other reference for Gulen’s Green Card, was also deeply involved with Afghan mujahedin and Kosovo rebels. Currently, he is a Council Member (Senior Fellow) of US Asia Pacific Council.

Gulen was a staunch enemy of secularism in Turkey. He pushed for an authoritarian Islamic state. In fact, a Wikileaks wire reveals how Istanbul Chief Rabbi Ishak Haleva tried to warn USA of this man’s activities, saying he is a “radical Islamist” whose moderate message cloaks a more sinister and radical agenda.

In 2010, a retired Turkish Intelligence Chief, Osman Nuri Gundes, published his memoir titled “Close Witness to Revolutions and Anarchy” where he claimed Fethullah Gulen’s worldwide Islamic movement based in Pennsylvania has been providing cover for the CIA since the mid-1990s, and that in the 90s, the movement “sheltered 130 CIA agents” at its schools in Kyrgyzstan and Uzbekistan alone.

Central Asia’s Islamisation has started with Turkey; Gulen having deep ties with the current Prime Minister of Turkey, Recep Tayyip Erdogan. Erdoğan was elected in 2003, despite having been banned from holding office for his anti-secular, Islamist views and actions in Turkey. Gulen openly and financially supported Erdogan’s election. Today, Turkey has over 85,000 active mosques, one for every 350 citizens—compared to one hospital for every 60,000 citizens—the highest number per capita in the world and, with 90,000 imams, more imams than doctors or teachers. And Erdogan enjoys his reign over the country since 2003 with the US’s blessings.

Why would USA give refuge to this Islamist and even provide high level officials to attest for him?

Turkey (Asia Manor) is located right in the middle of Europe, Asia and Middle East. Old Soviet bloc countries in Central Asia have two common grounds with Turkey: ethnicity and religion. Many of them are Turkic and Muslim. Turkey being a NATO member for 61 years and on the side of U.S.A. since the Korean War of 1950s, has proven to be a trusted ally to US, willing to do whatever it takes to further American interests.

Turkey is to U.S.A. in the Central Asia is what Israel is to U.S.A. in the Middle East. Central Asia (with its vast natural resources, including a lot of oil) is being turned into another Middle East by Islamists with the covert support of U.S.A., against the Godless China. Not only because Central Asia is rich in natural resources and oil, but also geopolitically is a great buffer zone next to China and Russia…

Plus, ‘War on Terror’ excuse can be used to invade more and more countries as we did in Afghanistan and Iraq. We did not invade those countries to squash terror; that was the excuse used for the public, not the real intent. And that same excuse can and will be used again and again for more invasions or interventions. Therefore it is in the best interest of U.S.A. to fuel it, manage it and use it as needed.

Ahh, Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive. – Sir Walter Scott (Marmion, 1808)

Posted by: somebody | Apr 28 2013 22:03 utc | 37

video: Alex Jones and Sibel Edmonds

Posted by: Don Bacon | Apr 28 2013 22:49 utc | 38

the Russians are beginning to talk

This here is the World Assembly of Muslim Youth - funded by Saudi Arabia.

Posted by: somebody | Apr 28 2013 23:48 utc | 39

This here is funny: The English Wikipedia page of the World Assembly of Muslim Youth" makes them sound a peace loving NGO.
German Wikipedia describes them as proto-terrorist.

Posted by: somebody | Apr 29 2013 0:01 utc | 40

@39
Edmonds would say that the Russians have a deal with the CIA to spoon-feed these details about contacts etc. when really the big picture is that Boston was a setup precisely so we that we can be spoon-fed random details, with the larger objectives that this new chumminess will lead to the US looking the other way while Russia attacks Chechnya, while Russia gives the US a green light to attack Syria (with an assist from scary bogus chemical weapon threats).

It's a lot to believe, but on the other hand if part of it (a conspiracy) is believable, then why not all of it.

Posted by: Don Bacon | Apr 29 2013 0:07 utc | 41

Actually the World Assembly of Muslim Youth is a very hot trail to the West's continuing complicity with Al Qeida.
They still got offices in Virginia and in London.

Posted by: somebody | Apr 29 2013 0:19 utc | 42

@38, I thought it was Sibel; Jones and his sidekicks keep calling her See-bell.

Lol, Jones loves him some gold! Is there an argument for digging up more? I haven't heard it.

Posted by: ruralito | Apr 29 2013 0:20 utc | 43

hmm, guess it IS See-bell.

Posted by: ruralito | Apr 29 2013 0:28 utc | 44

Lol, the CIA needs more dusky spies!

Posted by: ruralito | Apr 29 2013 0:31 utc | 45

41) I don't think the Russians giving a green light on Syria is likely, Russia has always done in Chechnya and Dagestan what it wanted to - at a great cost. The Russians seem to say that Tamerlan Tsarnaev tried to have contact with islamist groups in Dagestan (my hunch is he might have even talked about this to them) but did not succeed. He might have succeeded but people he contacted got killed which would have made him suspicious. So he returned to the US and the suspicions would have followed him.
I think the Russians are slowly blackmailing Obama, as having a second 9/11 happening under his supervision whose perpetrators can be traced to some government agency can't be good for him.

Posted by: somebody | Apr 29 2013 0:35 utc | 46

@46
I mostly agree with you, while keeping the door open for more possibilities and more revelations -- contrived or not. Because power corrupts, and absolute power (which the CIA has) corrupts absolutely. The company has no limits, I'm sure.

The ethos of those in the army, which I've been in, is that they know everything better than anyone, and they are motivated to follow through on those beliefs. It's a total-faith religion-like belief. So the CIA, which I haven't been in, being almost totally secretive, must be even more dedicated toward doing whatever they consider to be in the best interests of the empire, and they have the freedom to do it without any restraint.

So Edmonds' story is conceivable, to me. It's her appraisal, but even she can't always predict the future (although she has had some success doing it). There are many variables, for one thing.

Posted by: Don Bacon | Apr 29 2013 1:29 utc | 47

The plot thickens - this here is Misha of the "TRANSNATIONAL ASSEMBLY FOR PEACE AND DEMOCRACY IN CHECHNYA INC.", who uncle Tsarni said radicalized Tamerlan.

So was it about democracy or was it about islam?

Hat Tip to Laura Rozen.

Posted by: somebody | Apr 29 2013 6:40 utc | 48

More members of the board of the "Transnational Assembly for Peace and Democracy in Chechnya inc."

Is the director of the organization founded in 2003 the same Salman Masaev, who is deputy of the Caucasian Muslim Board here?

From "Peace and Democracy" to "The right to believe, worship and witness, the right to change one's belief or religion, the right to join together and express one's belief" in Azerbaijan? Where the president is firmly in Russia's sphere of influence.

Posted by: somebody | Apr 29 2013 7:03 utc | 49

@47, She makes good points on the contradictions, the paradoxes in Westernizing narrative. How something is said one day and denied the next or reappears as its opposite without any comment. It's almost as if something or someone wants us to be stupid and/or insane.

Posted by: ruralito | Apr 29 2013 14:33 utc | 50

@49 Lol: Status Unknown. Must be one of those unknown unknowns.

Posted by: ruralito | Apr 29 2013 15:01 utc | 51

There are so many possible and likely scenarios and they all involve CIA and/or FBI. Just now in Boston there is the amazing case of James Bulger in the courts, who used his status as an FBI informant to eliminate his ennemies in the underworld.

The younger brother dealing Marihuana so openly is so much the universal police technique of controlling the drug scene on campus by trusted dealers. So maybe the older brother was their trusted islamist. Anything can go wrong from here.

Posted by: somebody | Apr 29 2013 16:30 utc | 52

Zygier

The day before he died, Zygier rejected a plea bargain, insisting he had done nothing wrong so should not plead guilty.

Posted by: somebody | Apr 29 2013 18:19 utc | 53

F.B.I. agents are trying to determine whether female DNA found on a piece of a pressure cooker used as an explosive device in the attacks was from Katherine Russell, the wife of Tamerlan Tsarnaev, according to the officials.

Posted by: Don Bacon | Apr 30 2013 1:38 utc | 54

54) that is just trying to intimidate her, I guess - it would not prove anything as of course she lived in the same househould and might even have used the pressure cooker - it is kitchen gear.

It is getting hot in Georgia - and clear, what political use for Russia is in the plot.

Posted by: somebody | Apr 30 2013 5:35 utc | 55

Video of a 747 fright airplane crash yesterday shortly after starting at Bagram in Afghanistan.

Some part of the load moved to the back of the plane during the climb, setting the plane on its tail and let it stall.

Posted by: b | Apr 30 2013 16:53 utc | 56

National Air Cargo
Information Related to Flight NCR102

A National Airlines B747-400 cargo plane was involved in an accident at Bagram Airbase in Afghanistan today.

At approximately 7 a.m. EST, National Flight NCR102 from Bagram to Dubai, UAE with seven crewmembers on board crashed on takeoff. None of the crew members survived. This was a purely cargo flight and no passengers were aboard. Cargo consisted of vehicles and routine general cargo.

"Safety is always our top priority at National Airlines," said National Airlines President Glen Joerger. "This is a devastating loss for our family and we'll work diligently with authorities to find the cause," said Joerger. "Most importantly, our thoughts and prayers are with our crewmembers and their families."

Part of the cost of evacuating military vehicles and cargo from the failed effort in Afghanistan.

Posted by: Don Bacon | Apr 30 2013 17:33 utc | 57

It is clear now Boston police has no proof Tsarnaevs shot the MIT police officer.

It is also clear that something is wrong with the Chinese witness acoount placing both brothers in his Mercedes.

This here are the photos of the shootout by Andrew Kitzenberg, saying that they - also - drove a green sedan - doors open in the street.

Add to that, that the younger brother had no gun and the older owned a hand gun.

Posted by: somebody | May 1 2013 20:54 utc | 58

This here is discussion by Graham Fuller, the FBI official father in law of the Tsarnaev brothers' uncle, Ariel Cohen, "heritage expert", and Abid Ullah Jan, who either is two persons or a very shady one (I suggest one)

It is full of arrogance telling Muslims what to do and an intentional blindness on the different currents of Islam whilst dinstinguishing between Catholics, Protestants and Christian Fundamentalists.

However, there is a mindboggling argument, when it comes from a high CIA official involved in Afghanistan, Pakistan, the Caucasus and Turkey:

"The problem comes more with his definition of radical. If all
armed resistance to foreign occupation is to be condemned – which over the
course of history has widespread acceptance as a legitimate action – then of
course large numbers of Muslim activists fall into the category of
radical
Surely Cohen would not wish to suggest that those guerrilla activities that
have led to the founding of such countries as the United States, Israel,
Kenya, South Africa, and Algeria via anti-colonial struggles are all unac-
ceptable because they passed through a certain violent phase – including
elements of what might be terror
. I agree with him, as do most Muslims,
that in principle, killing innocent civilians constitutes an act of terrorism.
But that holds true whether it takes place from suicide bombers at a distance
of five feet or from 5,000 feet when “legitimate government” bombs are
dropped on resistance forces and surrounding civilians.

It also poses an interesting question by Abid Ullah Jan
"Similarly, in examining the issue of martyrdom bombings, a few basic
questions require answering to demystify the issues: Who does not love
life? What is the state of mind of those who martyr themselves? If it is sim-
ply because of some delusional sermons and faulty interpretations, why do
Muslims not commit martyrdom bombings in areas other than those under
American and Israeli control? If Iraqi “Islamists” want to establish Islam
through martyrdom bombing now, why did they not try when Saddam’s
regime was much weaker during its last days, rather than under the
American occupation today?"

And it sums up in all its stupidity what was sold to (and by) the Obama administration in order to support the Muslim brotherhood and Erdogan's AKP

"Muslims will be able to take care of extremists of any variety when the
extreme conditions that produce them disappear. Muslims will no longer
support or even acquiesce to jihadi violence if, in their view, the conditions
do not warrant such actions. At that point, dealing with jihadi violence will
become a relatively simple problem for legitimate police and security
forces to deal with, one that enjoys public acceptance.
Only through empowering Muslims to freely choose their own leader-
ship and policies can the blight of violence on the Muslim world begin to
wind down. The United States must support this trend toward democracy,
even if the tyrant is friendly to Washington. Most smart tyrants seek to be
friendly to Washington in order to remain in power, and thus contribute to
the very problem that produces contemporary violence in Muslim societies"

Posted by: somebody | May 4 2013 10:42 utc | 59

I do try to keep an open mind :-))

Posted by: somebody | May 4 2013 12:26 utc | 60

:-)) the view from Georgia - the one in Caucasus

In light of the Boston bombings and based on human intelligence, it is highly likely that the Tsarnaev brothers were recruited by US intelligence agencies to liaise with anti-government militant groups in Chechnya and Dagestan, and to further take part in militant activities.

It is clear now that the FBI and the CIA had been monitoring them for years and the elder brother managed to circumvent the no-fly list despite supposedly being on two terrorist watch lists, and took time out on his visit to Dagestan to take holiday snaps of himself posing with Dagestani jihadist Gadzhimurad Dolgatov who later killed in a firefight with Russian security services in 2012, as reported by the Dailymail.

The Russian FSB’s two messages to the FBI and CIA were not simply meant to warn the Americans that the Tsarnaev
brothers had become radicalized; it was meant to be a clear message to the US that Russia was aware of what was going on. Such collaboration is standard practice when it comes to espionage in the post-9/11 period, but these
warnings were clearly different, as subversive assets who are not intelligence officers are usually simply killed when they no longer serve their purpose or are caught in the act.

It is highly likely that the Russians realized that this was an accident waiting to happen and a potential PR bonanza,and it is conceivable that they flipped the older brother while he was in Russia, perhaps by blackmailing him
with threats that his mother would be put in harm’s way, or other means, to carry out the attack on US soil rather than against Russia,in spite of the fact that this would come with huge risks for US-Russian relations.

Moscow jumped on the chance to capitalize on the US’s own portrayal of the events. The attacks help to expose the dangers and apparent hypocrisy of the United States foreign policy, with more and more Americans now questioning US support for regime change in Syria, where the US recently allocated an additional USD 123 million to rebel forces, which include known Al-Qaeda affiliates.

They also help to spur efforts to alter the entire American public’s perception of Russia’s own domestic threats: no longer do the Americans consider anti-Russian groups in Chechnya to be “freedom fighters”, but rather hardcore terror
ists.

Moreover, the terrorist attacks in Boston also continue to justify the “War on International Terrorism” and the need for closer cooperation between Russia and the US in combating this shared threat. It is even conceivable that the US and Russia could now reach a consensus on Syria, as well as draw a “red line” on what kind of foreign activity/in-
fluence is permitted in the Caucasus region, especially Georgia.

This is particularly important for Moscow in the run up to the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, where post-Soviet Russian grandiose showmanship will be on display. By uniting US and Russian counter-terrorism efforts, the
Boston bombings have been an unexpected windfall for all concerned: the Russian government finds itself with increased leverage in countries of strategic importance and in its domestic war against terrorism, and the Amer-
ican government finds itself with a useful escape clause for all that happened in Georgia under the
Saakashvili administration, including Georgia’s role in supplying material support and fighters
to Syria and to Chechen rebels.

Posted by: somebody | May 4 2013 17:54 utc | 61

when i saw this headline i almost fall off my chair,
i have to stop my work n fire off this post....

goaded by u know who,
the facists are crawling out of the woodworks
listen to this asso ...
*"India shares a land border with China, and Japan has had maritime contacts (with China), but for the past 1,500 years and more there has never been a history when our relations with China went extremely smoothly,* [sic]

p.s.

im png, persona non grata, at the jp times, nyt, warsj, atimes, :-(

Posted by: denk | May 6 2013 5:21 utc | 62

Humor blowback (video)

Posted by: b | May 8 2013 10:18 utc | 63

Tsarnaevs' family connections get more and more intriguing. There was the CIA uncle with the Nationalist Cechen front and now there is the prominent Dagestan Islamist cousin discussing politics with him conveniently arrested by Russian authorities after the Boston bombings.

Posted by: somebody | May 8 2013 19:32 utc | 65

The JIDF Wurlitzer is having a meltdown at reddit.com over Stephen Hawkin's boycott of the Vanity State.

Posted by: ruralito | May 8 2013 19:38 utc | 66

Mark Ames on Tsaernev (Open to read only for 24h) : "I Hope I Didn't Contribute To It"

For now, I want to start with one of the biggest "What The Fuck?!" elements of the bombing story, a detail so far completely overlooked: Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's high school project "mentor," Brian Glyn Williams. Brian Glyn Williams happens to work for the CIA, on Islamic suicide bombers, Chechnya, and jihadi terrorism. Williams is also an associate professor of history at the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth, the university where 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was enrolled, and where he spent many of his last free hours between the Boston Marathon bombing on April 15, and his arrest on April 19.

There's another link to the Tsarnaev brothers' story that wasn't so much overlooked as it was avoided as just too weird: That angry Chechen uncle of theirs in Maryland, the clean-cut attorney who called his nephews "losers"—Uncle Ruslan Tsarni (neé Tsarnaev) —who was married to the daughter of ex-CIA officer Graham Fuller. What hasn't been reported about Fuller is that he was the CIA's station chief in Kabul, Afghanistan in the late 1970s — when, according to Zbigniew Brzezinski, the CIA planted a trap for the Soviet Union, in the form of radicals who overthrew the Soviet-backed regime, sparking the disastrous invasion and occupation that eventually destroyed the Soviet Union, and gave rise to Al Qaeda and radical jihadis in their place.

So Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's former uncle-in-law was the top CIA officer in Kabul who brought down communism and empowered Islamic jihadi radicals; and when he was just 16 years old, Dzhokhar's high school project "mentor" was also a CIA specialist on Islamic terrorism, suicide bombers, and Chechnya.

As disturbing as these facts are, they're part of a much larger narrative, too big to call a "plot," whose center of gravity during the Bush years was a K Street front group called "The American Committee for Peace in Chechnya" — which brought together over 100 of the leading neocons, Zionists, liberal hawks, Cold War imperialists and a smattering of libertarians and non-interventionists to promote Chechen separatism. Starting a few weeks before the Supreme Court handed George W. Bush the White House, and right through Bush's two terms , Chechen separatism — violent, Wahhabi-influenced, funded and tied in with Al Qaeda, the global jihadi network, and even a handful of the 9/11 hijackers — was promoted, defended, and exploited for all it was worth by A-list foreign policy establishment names including William Kristol, Michael Ledeen, Robert Kagan, James Woolsey, Stephen Solarz, Richard Perle, Geraldine Ferraro, Norman Podhoretz, and Zbigniew Brzezinski, to name just a few.

Posted by: b | May 9 2013 5:36 utc | 67