September 03, 2008

Billmon: In Your Heart, You Know They're White

Given that the Republican Party is, first and foremost, the party of white people (even in 2006, the year of the great Democratic congressional landslide, the GOP still managed to hold on to a majority of white votes) the question becomes: How many voters will tune into this year's RNC and be reminded that, as disgruntled as they might be with the party and its corrupt ways, those are still "their" people?

In other words: Just how tribal is American politics these days? Enough to give McCain and the Republicans a significant bump up in the polls?

Obviously I don't know, although I suppose we'll find out soon enough. But McCain better hope there are plenty of them out there. Because from what I've seen so far, they don't have much else going for them in St. Paul.

Billmon: In Your Heart, You Know They're White

Posted by b on September 3, 2008 at 4:24 UTC | Permalink

Comments

YES! another uninspiring diary entry from billmon. what's on the menu today? racial divisiveness in the rethug party? well, that's certainly news.

no, sorry, i should respect my elders and pay a compliment, so here it is: billmon, the rearrangement of the deck chairs is stunning.

Posted by: Lizard | Sep 3 2008 5:15 utc | 1

Whites are doing their best to multiply, but not soon enough.
Not to be a concern troll, but, if the GOP had any notion of self preservation as a political viability after the November disaster, they would do better to abandon their base and not the other way around.

Posted by: YY | Sep 3 2008 5:20 utc | 2

I have to agree with lizard here, billmon has learned the art of farming umbrella's.

Posted by: Uncle $cam | Sep 3 2008 5:22 utc | 3

my generation

uncle: we need to be careful. there's a national fragility many of us will do anything to minimize.

Posted by: Lizard | Sep 3 2008 5:37 utc | 4

The convention does not inspire anyone to heights of creativity nor insight, so can't really blame billmon for the uninspired commentary. That said, the vp clusterfuck is excellent entertainment.

Posted by: YY | Sep 3 2008 6:00 utc | 5

jerry springer?

Bristol Palin's boyfriend heads to convention

"This is just a bonus,"

i'll say!

Posted by: annie | Sep 3 2008 6:06 utc | 6

Billmon, Now if the American electorate consisted entirely of the folks who show up at Howard Johnsons on the all-you-can-eat fried clam nights,”

Well EXCUUUUSE ME!. A little condescending, ya think?

Seriously, Billmon is losing my respect with each post. This makes me appreciate b all the more. I actually learn something with b!

This quote is even better. Billmon: “I grew up in a racially mixed (if still fairly segregated) society, and now live and work in a majority black city, so to me, all-white crowds looks strange -- as if God screwed up and put too much bleach into the laundry,…
Gee aren’t you special! Here’s a thought: I bet you could be the one white news guy from any network who would actually be allowed to interview a black person. You are just so cool.
On second thought, don’t give up your day job.

Posted by: Rick | Sep 3 2008 6:13 utc | 7

YY: yet by binding the collective steering of perception toward the uninspiring doldrums of conventional banality, billmon is filling the role of shill.

clusterfuck, yes. billmon's diary useful, no.

whoop-dee-doo...

Posted by: Lizard | Sep 3 2008 6:13 utc | 8

Rick: i emphatically agree.

Posted by: Lizard | Sep 3 2008 6:15 utc | 9

sorry, having trouble linking...

Posted by: annie | Sep 3 2008 6:16 utc | 10

Well EXCUUUUSE ME!. A little condescending, ya think?

lizard, i am not following you, at all. please fill me in.

Posted by: annie | Sep 3 2008 6:21 utc | 11

sorry, that was rick. explain please.

Posted by: annie | Sep 3 2008 6:23 utc | 12

annie: maybe, from recent fisticuffs, it's become easier to confuse me with rick.

as for the fill you in, allow me to shade this flurry of billmon interest with a steady hum of BLAHHH...

Posted by: Lizard | Sep 3 2008 6:27 utc | 13

b: was the billmon suspicion legit? if not, why not say so. if yes, why waste our time linking to this Kos-styled distraction.

Posted by: Lizard | Sep 3 2008 6:34 utc | 14

actually its the party of & for White Male privileges (WHIMPS).

Both parties started off like members-only strip-bars. And over the years, they both dropped membership but the Dems also dropped the cover-charge, started a ladies night, a gay night, happy-hour ...

Meanwhile the Repubs are desperately seeking an exotic new dancer whose going to bring back the good old days.

Posted by: jony_b_cool | Sep 3 2008 7:28 utc | 15

even Ray Charles would have seen what billmon saw. But Oh no. lets just pretend its not happening. Lets not talk about it. Actually next time we'll have both conventions in the same hall and both parties will take turn to speak.

Posted by: jony_b_cool | Sep 3 2008 7:46 utc | 16

I was reflecting myself on the mass of idiots at the RNC, suckers for identity politics (born white badge wearers included) or there to lie themselves into a lot of money. Of course this is immediately followed by THE REALIZATION MORE THAN 50% OF PEOPLE VOTED FOR BUSH. OR NEARLY.

Fuck.

Posted by: aumana | Sep 3 2008 8:06 utc | 17

"...so can't really blame billmon for the uninspired commentary."

I call bullshit. People of billmons, knowledge, readership, and gift owe it to themselves and their readers to take the proverbial 'emotional risk' and challenge the dominate paradigm. He has eluded to it before in that, he would if not for, paraphrasing, 'the system", I.E., mortgage payments, braces for the kids, marital harmony, retirement etc..

Welcome to the scarcity model, where economic terror keeps one from ever challenging the establishment out right...

Posted by: Uncle $cam | Sep 3 2008 9:01 utc | 18

"...so can't really blame billmon for the uninspired commentary."

otherwise it's farming umbrella's otherwise known as navel gazing...

Posted by: Uncle $cam | Sep 3 2008 9:03 utc | 19

@all - I find the critic expressed versus Billmon here overboard.

You don't like to read him? Don't read him. You don't like me posting these threads here? Ignore them.

I for one was never really aware of the big difference in diversity between the parties and find it helpful that Billmon points it out.

You want him to scream "revolution now" every other day? That never was Billmon's thing to do. If you need a leader, be one, don't damn others for not willing to play that role for you.

Posted by: b | Sep 3 2008 9:42 utc | 20

I kind of agree with b. I wont bother with the DKOS links anymore. Billmon seems to be in his element over there. I'll stick with the all piss and vinegar crowd over here

The 'Howard Johnsons on the all-you-can-eat fried clam nights' jibe reveals an elitist at heart. No, not elitist, it sounds more like the sort of comment that you would hear from a smug, self-satified, middle-class snob. A very 'English' type of put-down.

Posted by: DM | Sep 3 2008 11:02 utc | 21

b@20,
billmon is a traitor ! Now say that 20 times

Posted by: jony_b_cool | Sep 3 2008 11:39 utc | 22

Billmon has always seemed to be overall closer to what used to be the European left than the Democrats. He's never really hid it and occasionally acknowledged it including in one of his posts since his comeback. At the same time, he's always been clear that such a radical shift wouldn't come easily or fast in the US, and no lone blogger would move things so much. Which means that, unlike some here, he still prefers to have Dems at the helm, instead of the GOP driving the whole planet to ruin and near-annihilation, even if it means that progress will be slow and a constant fight against the backwards Dems - as opposed to the odds that a GOP reign would ruin the US to the point it would tilt left massively faster, but with the risk that there wouldn't be anything left to save.
In other words, he still prefers bourgeois leading Weimar Republic than the 3rd Reich taking over with the faint hope that they'll blunder their way to a communist takeover soon afterwards.

And indeed, he seems mostly focused on elections and internal US politics. Then, he's just come back after a very long pause, so he might have to dust off a bit before being at his very best. And he's posting at Kos, which is just Elections Central, so he has to put food for the local crowd as well.

In fact, I think that the blogosphere has globally become less interesting, informative and thought-provoking, compared to what it was back 3-4-5 years ago, with a handful of exceptions (MOA clearly hasn't been dumbed down since its beginnings, I'd say, though it's always been a very different beast from the whiskey bar, for obvious reasons). Not sure if it's the selling-out Billmon himself lamented years ago, or if it's just me being used to the political/social blogs nowadays and being mildly bored because after so long, it's too often "been there, done that".

Posted by: CluelessJoe | Sep 3 2008 12:24 utc | 23

@22 - billmon is a traitor ! Now say that 20 times

That is childish and laughable. What did he betray but maybe your illusion?

Otherwise: what CJ said.

Posted by: b | Sep 3 2008 13:05 utc | 24

i guess i'm a little mystified by the level of vitrol aimed at billmon. it almost feels intimidating commenting after all that. i agree w/b. if you don't like it, don't read it.

as for the topic, billmon asks Just how tribal is American politics these days?

we have an election coming up. are we just going to hear the same old belching every gd time a post references it? is this a political blog where US political discussion is confined to 'both parties are the same!! yada yada yada yada i hate america fuck them both yada yada billmon sucks yada yada we should be reading completely boring shit like 'profits of deindustrialisation' 24/7 yada yada and how dare anyone point out the rnc is full of boring old white people because the dems are the same yada yada and kos sucks yadaydadafuckthem

pardon my french. i LIKE reading billmon. i DON'T FEEL like wading thru 100000 diaries at demcentral. i APPRECIATE b linking to his diaries. every piece of info and commentary w/an orange banner on top of it doesn't make it unworthy.

that said, have you checked it out? gawd it's hideous. i saw the lieb last night and he made me want to vomit. i was literally screaming at the TV.

Posted by: annie | Sep 3 2008 13:08 utc | 25

No, I haven't checked it out, and won't. I refuse to be the moth, and fly too close to the flame. It's all spectacle and entertainment, and it continues to be dumbed down to the brain stem level of moronic. You might as well turn on another episode of Jackass, because it's the same effect. In effect, and method, the Democratic Convention was no different. Billmon's just rehashing the obvious, and yes, this is all just a big Circle Jerk. Bread and Circuses so The Masses feel they are part of something, and not the worthless Cogs they really are.

Posted by: Why Didn't My Mother Abort Me | Sep 3 2008 13:23 utc | 26

Annie, respect and all, but check out Uncle's links in the open thread. And you watched the show last night. This country has taken leave of its senses. It's your country. If you want to hide behind the arras of bipartisanship, OK, but that didn't turn out too well for Polonius. Things are way, way out of control because nothing is acknowledged. Country First - ah yes, soothing, wise words from Mr Bipartisan himself. Just look deep into his eyes. Everything's fine.

Posted by: Tantalus | Sep 3 2008 13:29 utc | 27

take that!

but check out Uncle's links in the open thread.

??? hellllo. i already did. joe's the man.

If you want to hide behind the arras of bipartisanship

ah, oh i see. i get it. this is really making lots of sense now. when we read billmon we're being bipartisan . any mention of anything resembling a differentiation between the parties, whether one agrees w/them or not is simply not allowed here at our pure site w/the pc patrol.

i can tell this is going to be a very long political season here at the moon.

I haven't checked it out, and won't.

well rest assured i didn't link you to the convention, just a headline i thought was amusing.

Things are way, way out of control because nothing is acknowledged.

well thank you so much for pointing that out. you know this had never occurred to me before. what a revelation. so why don't we spend every billmon thread saying just that, shall we? the next zillion posts, better yet because we just never acknowledge anything around here day in and day out.

thank you so much for clearing this up for me. it really amazes me that after all these years here at moon it never sunk in until this very thread.. party!

Posted by: annie | Sep 3 2008 14:07 utc | 28

I cringe like whipped cur...

But I was responding to this bit of focussed problem-solving:

Right on.

Posted by: Tantalus | Sep 3 2008 14:26 utc | 29

Hmm, so besides the generic "old" white folks that Billmon saw (presumably actual attendees at the Republican convention)he calls out Christine Todd Whitman (white, served in Bush cabinet)and a bunch of white media commentators and talking heads. Were these media folks appointed by the Republicans?? Hmm, on various other shows covering the Republican convention I also saw Chris Matthews (white), Keith Olberman (white), David Gregory (white), Bob Beckel (white), Joe Scarborough (white), Lawrence O'Donnell (white), Tucker Carlson (white), Mark Whitaker (white), Scott Rasmussen (white), etc, etc. I'm not sure what this says about Republicans, but perhaps Billmon should vent his spleen on the (mostly white) media!

Posted by: Dumass | Sep 3 2008 14:49 utc | 30

I cringe like whipped cur...

;)

i know, i am one tough cookie aren't i? focussed problem-solving is my specialty.

Posted by: annie | Sep 3 2008 14:53 utc | 31

It has become the Palin/McCain ticket for most voters and the great white hope is that she becomes President sooner than later. She and most Alaskans have a core socialist instinct just like most Nader voters, like me.

I developed a distaste for the vile McCain while watching the POW/MIA hearings years ago, but nevermind, we know he lusts for chaos in Washington and her most notable charateristic is a willingness to fire people at the drop of a hat.

Didn't Nader get 15% of the vote in the 2000 election?

Posted by: El Ron Nader | Sep 3 2008 15:49 utc | 32

Soooo much to thank you for annie - but especially the take that link!

Posted by: Hamburger | Sep 3 2008 16:18 utc | 33

Lizard #1 #4 &# 9--

I am patiently waiting for some cogent, INSIGHTFUL, commentary from you, on the topic of the convention itself, or in analysis of Billmon's writing.

Snipe all you like: Until you have something of substance I will not be impressed.

Posted by: Gaianne | Sep 3 2008 16:27 utc | 34

It took a candidate like Obama - educated, a self-starter, ‘black’ but without roots in the Afro-American community - to break the barrier of ‘race’ in upper level US politics. The slice and dice approach is finished - it is one of the reasons Hillary ‘lost.’ And maybe now, the reason McC will lose as well, though I’m not sure, my guts still tell me he can win (?) Anyway, that is all over, what will replace it remains to be seen. Such ethnic, tribal type systems hold in conditions of political stability, national unity, and economic comfort, much like football clubs need money, fields, managers, etc. to fight their symbolic battles. (Short version.)

This contest is about emotion, about renewal, about change, about facing new problems and letting go of old ways (not that much or any progress has been made there, but that’s another topic). It is, under the surface, about politics, despite all the trivia tossed about. It is about taxes, health care, the economy, oil, war and peace - timid forays towards a new political landscape.. perhaps too late.. probably too late...

The trivia comes in a large part from the media. If one thinks of the military industrial complex as a MIM complex, with the last M for media, one can intuit the media is at sea - they are at a juncture and don’t know really what they are supposed to do, so their response is to lay low, beat whatever drum seems likely to be gossipy and innocuous, drowning the politics in a layers of syrup and chocolate sprinkles or damp firecrackers like teen pregnancy. Thereby driving real political issues to the backstage or the wings. Disgusting and pathetic. Even a Paris Hilton pol. clip in scanty attire is cool, parodic, cheerful, funny, in comparison...

One way or another, it can’t last. That is clear now.

Like in every ‘democratic’ country, there are a few ppl who will never vote for a woman, for a black, for someone who is pro-choice, etc. all these identity - issue politics issues foisted on the ppl since forever, in the Anglo divide-to-rule style, have had their effect...

;) My name is Noirette (or Tangerine) and I approve this uplifting message.

Posted by: Tangerine | Sep 3 2008 16:31 utc | 35

Wow! There are suddenly a lot of peevish little kids running around here at MoA. I remember when he quit blogging he had become so cynical that some commenters were worried about his mental health. Now he is trying to do insightful commentary about an election that he cares about and suddenly he's become the enemy. Like many people I've been disappointed in Obama but the alternative is unthinkable. I hate to tell you but the revolution won't come in my lifetime(65) and probably not in yours. Until then Obama is our best small hope for a turn in the right(left) direction. I doubt if any of you much like Markos but his call for more and better Democrats is the best thing going now.
@32 - Nader got 2.74% of the vote but keep dreaming about your multiparty system(link)

Btw-billmon if you read the comments here you still owe me part three of your Egyptian travelogue

Posted by: Sgt Dan | Sep 3 2008 16:51 utc | 36

Obama on O'Really tomorrow night

during McC's speech.

annie never stop.

Posted by: beq | Sep 3 2008 16:54 utc | 37

The Brand Called Obama

For whom ever it may concern, my comments were not meant to attack him as a person, and perhaps I could have put more thought into my post, however, I will not be bullied into silence, and I will say what I think. I do hold billmon's writings in high regard, however, I will not put him on some pedestal. And I will take him to task when I see fit. I need no one here to give me permission. And no one ever said anything about wanting him to speak revolution, I personally don't believe that is the answer and never has been, evolution is where it's at...

Come on yall, it's just a little Joyful Rebellion .

Posted by: Uncle $cam | Sep 3 2008 17:16 utc | 38

Annie #6 & #25--

Thanks for those links.

Agreement.

Others--

Ah! Billmon the elitist!

As someone who has eaten clams at HoJo's--a reference that is surely sliding away into history--shall I take offense at Billmon? Hah! I would if I were the sort to mistake cheap, bland (but adequate) mediocre food for GOOD food, which was more or less his point.

Whiteness certainly hits a nerve, doesn't it? It is a fool who thinks that whiteness is an intrinsic human property. Follow Annie's second link: Fools abound. But it is also a fool who thinks that, as a social construct, whiteness is under ones control. Actually, whiteness is a tool of social control, created by power elites to enhance their power.

Whiteness is not ethnicity, not even a generalized ethnicity--certainly not race, except in its most American, political sense. It is a fake ethnicity, constructed moment to moment along lines of convenience. Whiteness is bestowed on those who are loyally useful. As an example, consider the Irish in America: When did they become white? If you have skimmed history at all you know they were NOT white until roughly the turn of the 20th century--and they became white only after they excepted whiteness as a legitimate category of elite power. So it goes.

Now one can pass, trade on ones whiteness--shamelessly (and many of us do)--but it is utter foolishness to mistake trading on ones whiteness as possessing something real. Like the US Dollar--whose status as the World's reserve currency is now under attack--a pale skin is beginning to lose its presumption of value. The resulting panic is beginning to show, and places like the Republican Convention is WHERE the panic is beginning to show: Thank you Billmon for making this clear.

Posted by: Gaianne | Sep 3 2008 17:18 utc | 39

hamburger, Gaianne, glad you liked it. i died laughing (paraphrasing)BRISTOL! BRISTOL!, go breastfeed your brother! go! go!

Noirette (Tangerine), I approve this uplifting message

me too. speaking of The slice and dice approach reminded me of the very intentional attempt of the gop juggernaut trying to force, yes force, the dems into what they assumed would be the negative positioning of the 'colored party' (i refer to colored and not black because it included hispanics) by their redistricting campaign. they specifically targeted white dems and cut them off from their constituents. they thought having the legislators all black or ethnic other than white would drive whites away from the party and somehow be an embarrassment. it backfired.

my short stint working for the dean campaign (my sunrise period of feeling futile about the course we were on) put me in a position to see some inner workings of the process (for the most part really gruesome and cut throat, worse than my days in the theatre) when i landed as a dean delegate (a one day gig none the less very interesting indeed)for the wa state nominating conference. after the conference the dean delegates met in a corner of the auditorium to vote on which one of us would be representing dean at the national convention. there were a few hundred of us and i can't recall how many went to the convention, 30 or so. what happened next is interesting. whoever it is that runs these things really pushed us to support the young/diverse delegates. they wanted not only a new face for the convention they wanted new blood. having a seat as a delegate for the national convention is highly coveted so much so that once these people get a seat they fight tooth and nail to keep it year after year thereby establishing themselves into the st party apparatus. the dean campaign attracted so many new people into the process the dean wa st party leaders wanted to take the opportunity to expand the party and push it progressively (wa state/seattle being what it is). of the few hundred of us every single person under 25 was voted in. every black/hispanic/native american was voted in, our little group representing us was diverse (dreadlocks etc) and as a result the convention in 04 really looked different, much younger and diverse.

my point is that what seems to have started out as a rovian plan to isolate the party created the core of what dean, as the party chair, went on to do nationwide. it seemed like before blacks were being used for their voting power and then completely dumped on after the election. it really disgusted me the racist targeting in ohio played out, and as i mentioned at the time, how the gop was right, dlc/kerry totally abandon them as a party and didn't fight for the disenfranchised voters.

meanwhile the party apparatus has changed very little, but it has changed. i do believe over time these 'token' people, us, who have been taken for granted have changed the discourse and do threaten to the system. the gop has always been the party of old white guys.. as were the dems until very recently.

!!!!! i swear to god i thought this yesterday! i was so pissed when ..the argument that ensued here after the last chapter he wrote ..oh never mind.

uncle, awesome crabbucket link! beq, smooches as always.

Posted by: annie | Sep 3 2008 17:55 utc | 40

Wild and wooly semantic ‘analysis’ of McC and Obama blogs.

annie, yes, i too have been roped in as a ‘woman’ heh.

Posted by: Tangerine | Sep 3 2008 18:39 utc | 41

LBJ wiki

Legend has it that, as he put down his pen, Johnson told an aide, "We have lost the South for a generation," anticipating a coming backlash from Southern whites against Johnson's Democratic Party.

Americans generally do not consider their country to be extremely racially divided. In fact they believe their country has made enormous strides overcoming the issue. And they are right to a large part. However from a political stand-point, LBJ's prediction has proven to be more profound & damaging than even he imagined. And the fact is that the USA today is & has been severely politically divided via the race issue since LBJ. Without the race head-lock the Republicans have primarily on the South, the party might not even exist anymore but this is not the main point.

The main point is that Americans, unlike people in less stable countries do not properly understand that severe political divisions along ethnic/race lines will inevitably lead to exploitation by forces within & without. Americans like to think their country is immune to this phenomenon, but this is exactly what has happened to the USA. And the exploitation is not going to stop for as long as the political racial divisions sufficiently exist, even if the Repubs lose the White House, its not going to stop as they will bide their time for the comeback & more exploitation. And the Dems will continue to be co-opted for their survival and will not do anything to change the status-quo. But if theres any hope, its not going to come from the Republican party, because it cannot by definition. Thats just the way its going to be until the USA gets over the challenges imposed by its political race division. Another danger is that the corrosive status-quo created by the exploitation would have eaten so deeply into the countries soul that it may be too late to reverse.

Posted by: jony_b_cool | Sep 3 2008 18:54 utc | 42

Gaianne: if you need billmon to make it clear to you that places like the RNC is where the panic is beginning to show, then fine. actually, the panic is bubbling up in all of us because the fabric holding us together is getting really thin.

i'll just stop there. our host made it clear he considers this criticism overboard.

Posted by: Lizard | Sep 3 2008 18:58 utc | 43

El Ron Nader #32--

Didn't Nader get 15% of the vote in the 2000 election?

No, he did not. I WORKED on that campaign. I can proudly say that in my area--in a safe state--where we ran an energetic campaign, he got 19%, but unfortunately in the state overall, and even more so nationally, the result was poorer.

We needed 5% of the vote nationally to meet Federal requirements that would enable the building of a viable third party (it is all about funding). We got 3%.

This was a strategic defeat in a one-time window of opportunity. By 2004, repeating the performance but attaining the 5% was no longer adequate, nor was it a possibility. Times had moved on.

Nader's message is correct, but has passed its sell-by date. If I were to get into politics now--but political organizing is so not my skill--I would work along the lines of Dimitri Orlov's suggested Collapse Party. It is far too late for anything else. Obama is just damage limitation, and not much of that. But some damage limitation is better than no damage limitation, let's be clear.

Posted by: Gaianne | Sep 3 2008 22:22 utc | 44

jony, did you read uncle's 'The Brand Called Obama' link @ 38? i thought of it while reading your post. it had some interesting insights regarding race in our society now and in the future..

Posted by: annie | Sep 4 2008 0:06 utc | 45

Thanks annie@45,
I just read it & its very fascinating. Against the context of despair from past disappointments, Obama's approach & success at engaging millions of mostly young people does not look anything like "business as usual". And one thing we can be sure of is that this thing Obama, Axelrod & others have created (for now I'll call it a swarm) is not going to be shelved after the election, whether he wins or not. And if he wins, it will form a key part of what might be called his "counter-context friendly" approach.

Also, from an anthropological view-point, theres nothing fundamentally new about Obama's approach. The genius is in coming up with a super-charge-able variation that fits the goal & the environment.

on race, if Obama's approach succeeds nationally, he will have taken back a few of the Southern States along the way.

Posted by: jony_b_cool | Sep 4 2008 1:40 utc | 46

Gaianne, I feel you have hit the nail on the head. The Repub convention is trading on your accurately described whiteness. It has only a little to do with color. Rather than the singularity, it is the simplicity. If it is identity politics, it is the identity of the club of simple answers. Government bad. Obama bad. Terrorists bad. grunt. That's all it is, finally. They may win. Obama is flirting with addressing the issue. He has some way to go to fully identify the issue. He must identify it. He has done pretty well so far responding to the bobbing and weaving a prioris of the game. He needs to step up his game though. He can say he will cut taxes on 95% of the people, but the Republicans still sell the idea that he will raise taxes on YOU! He's got to call them out. Unless of course they're right, in which case he should lose.

Posted by: dacorilitter | Sep 4 2008 4:47 utc | 47

Success beyond our wildest dreams, eh?

Posted by: DM | Sep 7 2008 3:14 utc | 48