March 21, 2008

A Color Test

An fairly old test, but it was new to me until recently:

Task: "Speak out loud each word's font-color, one after the other, as fast as you can."

YELLOW RED BLUE GREEN GREEN RED BLACK YELLOW GREEN WHITE BLACK YELLOW GREEN YELLOW BLUE YELLOW BLUE BLUE RED GREEN BLUE RED GREEN YELLOW BLUE RED GREEN YELLOW RED GREEN YELLOW BLUE GREEN YELLOW

Not as easy as one would think. It's the Stroop Effect.

But what does this really tell us about perception or cognition?

How does this effect how we read 'news'?

Posted by b on March 21, 2008 at 21:07 UTC | Permalink

Comments

STARS AND STRIPES? Maybe that effect with the US Flag?

Posted by: Cloned Poster | Mar 21 2008 21:33 utc | 1

Okay. Close you eyes and say: RED LEATHER YELLOW LEATHER (five times fast).

Posted by: beq | Mar 21 2008 22:33 utc | 2

Reminds me of a comedy show I used to watch on public television.

Posted by: catlady | Mar 22 2008 0:09 utc | 3

http://www.wfu.edu/art/ac_johns_flags.htm>Stars and Stripes? only a figment afterimage.

Posted by: anna missed | Mar 22 2008 0:53 utc | 4

catlady, thats quite an admission. I took some pretty severe beatings for tuning that show in.

Posted by: anna missed | Mar 22 2008 0:59 utc | 5

"Before it exploded, the DJIA was about 40 times bigger than
it is today. The explosion vaporized investors holding long $'s." (bear future-cast)

"(Terrorists) you'll feel like hell is raining down on you,
We'll put a cap up your ass, because that's what we do,
Brought to you courtesy, of the red ... white ... and blue." Country Song

"If you had a hot tub, I'd marry you." (overheard in a club)

"Keep it up, I'll give you a foster-home bruise." (overhead in a mall)

Posted by: Stior Noirmin | Mar 22 2008 3:42 utc | 6

the effect varies with the typeface, too.

when the letters are chunky it is easier discriminate. Odd that, more color should make for more muddle.

Perhaps mileage varies.

I don't know if this is related or tangential, but it took me a long time adapt to color monitors. I had a program with a default blue background that really interfered with my ability to process language. It took me nearly twice as long to edit something. I found a similar phenomenon with color television. Black and white recruited attention, color zoned me out. Could be my idiosyncratic reaction.

Posted by: rjj | Mar 22 2008 6:50 utc | 7

seriously, the only thing that slowed me down was trying to make out the words that in yellow font on the greyish background

Posted by: b real | Mar 22 2008 15:34 utc | 8

"In one of the Marx brothers' films, Groucho, when caught in a lie, answers angrily: 'Who are you going to believe, your eyes, or my words?' This apparently absurd logic renders perfectly the functioning of the symbolic order in which the social mask matters more than the direct reality of the individual who wears it. This function involves the structure of what Freud called 'fetishist disavowal': 'I know very well that things are the way I see them, that the person in front of me is a corrupted weakling, but I nonetheless treat him respectfully, since he wears the insignia of a judge....' So in a way, I do believe his words, not my eyes."

--Slavoj Zizek