November 29, 2007

Obama's Jewish Ties

Foes Use Obama's Jewish Ties to Fuel Rumors About Him

By Perry Bacon Jr.*
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, November 29, 2007; Page A01

In his speeches and often on the Internet, the part of Sen. Barack Obama's biography that gets the most attention is not his race but his connections to the Jewish world.

Since declaring his candidacy for president in February, Obama, a member of a congregation of the United Church of Christ in Chicago, has had to address assertions that he is a Jew or that he had received bar mitzvah training in Indonesia, where he lived from ages 6 to 10. While his father was an atheist and his mother did not practice religion, Obama's stepfather did occasionally attend services at a Synagogue there.

Despite his denials, rumors and e-mails circulating on the Internet continue to allege that Obama (D-Ill.) is a Jew, a "Jewish plant" in a conspiracy against America, and that, if elected president, he would take the oath of office using a Talmud, rather than a Bible.
[...]

Obama aides sharply disputed the initial stories suggesting that he was a Jew, and in Iowa, the campaign keeps a letter at its offices, signed by five members of the local clergy, vouching for the candidate's Christian faith. Aware that his religious belief remains an issue, Obama has denied a separate charge: that he does not hold his hand to his heart during the Pledge of Allegiance. This rumor stemmed from a photo that was taken while the national anthem was being played.
[...]
"If I were a Jew, I would let you know, " he said in Dubuque, Iowa, recently, according to CNN.com. "But I'm a member of Trinity United Church of Christ on 95th Street on the South Side of Chicago. We've got the best choir in town, and if you want to come and worship with us, you are more than welcome."
[...]
"The Jews have said they plan on destroying the U.S. from the inside out," says one of the e-mails that was posted recently on a blog at BarackObama.com, the campaign's Web site, by an Obama supporter who warned of an attempt to "Swift Boat" the candidate. "What better way to start than at the highest level, through the President of the United States, one of their own!"

Another e-mail, on a site called Snopes.com that tracks Internet rumors, starts, "Be careful, be very careful." It notes that "Obama takes great care to conceal the fact that he is a Jew," and that "since it is politically expedient to be a Christian when you are seeking political office in the United States, Obama joined the United Church of Christ to help purge any notion that he is still a Jew."

A CBS News poll in August showed that a huge number of voters said they did not know Obama's faith, but among those who said they did, 7 percent thought he was a Jew, while only 6 percent thought he was a Protestant Christian .

"The underlying point is that if you can somehow pin Jewishness on him, that would be a fatal blow," Hooper said. "It's offensive. It speaks to the rising level of anti-semite feeling in our society."

----
*Editorial note:
Please be advised that there are rumors swirling around that Perry Bacon Jr., the Muslim author of our piece, received multiple convictions for child rape. Mr. Bacon has yet to deny these rumors.

Posted by b on November 29, 2007 at 16:05 UTC | Permalink

Comments

fwiw, googling sheeple gets you over half a million hits.

Posted by: beq | Nov 29 2007 17:06 utc | 1

@beq - yes and dangerous sheeple they are.

But I really wonder how the WaPo can put such a racist rumor feeding story on it's frontpage. I would have expected it in an editorial but this is the worst it can get in serious printmaking.

The story is he said - she said where one side is pure race/religion based unfounded rumor. The "journalist" doesn't even try to get to the truth, but he willingly reenforces the rumor over and over. In effect, it is an assassination of Obama.

But the slander of one believe is en vogue. Mitt Romney said he will have no Jew in the cabinet. Only 1% of the population is Jewish and that doesn't justify a cabinet position ...

Posted by: b | Nov 29 2007 18:11 utc | 2

Poor Joe Lieberman. And to think he kissed neocon ass for all these years, just hoping ...

Posted by: Ensley | Nov 29 2007 18:44 utc | 3

It's a pathetic story, and both Bacon and the WaPo are disgraceful for even thinking about printing crap like this.

Having said that, B, I think your slight editing is brilliant.

Posted by: Lurch | Nov 29 2007 19:16 utc | 4

Obama has also been accused of being a secret and radical Muslim. His father was Muslim, it is said. Refer to freeper sites or what not.

Religious Minority Candidate Mitt Romney Comes Out In Favor Of Religious Bigotry

In a recent interview with Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, former conservative Fox News pundit Mansoor Ijaz asked the former governor whether he would consider nominating a Muslim to be a member of his national security cabinet. Ijaz reports:

I asked Mr. Romney whether he would consider including qualified Americans of the Islamic faith in his cabinet as advisers on national security matters, given his position that “jihadism” is the principal foreign policy threat facing America today. He answered, “…based on the numbers of American Muslims [as a percentage] in our population, I cannot see that a cabinet position would be justified. But of course, I would imagine that Muslims could serve at lower levels of my administration.”

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/11/27/romn/>think progress

Posted by: Tangerine | Nov 29 2007 19:47 utc | 5

@Lurch - By the way, did you know there are rumors out there that Perry Bacon Jr has not only been accused of multiple child rapes, but I heard he has been convicted of bestiality in 4 different states?

Oh, you heard that too? I only knew of three states so far. But Perry Bacon Jr is said to be a Mormon, so you never can be sure.

Posted by: b | Nov 29 2007 20:26 utc | 6

Between 2003 and 2008 Obama has raised more than 80 million dollars:

http://www.opensecrets.org/politicians/summary.asp?cid=N00009638> open secrets org.

Heady stuff for an untried, basically clueless politician.

Obama’s AIPAC, march 2007, speech:

Back in January of 2006, I made my first trip to the Holy Land. It is a
place unlike any other on this earth – a place filled with so much
promise of what we truly can be as people; a place where we’ve learned
how in a flash, violence and hatred and intolerance can turn that promise
to rubble and send too many lives to their early graves.

Most will travel to the holy sites: the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, the
Dome of the Rock or the Western Wall. They make a journey to be humbled
before God. I too am blessed to have seen Israel this way, up close and
on the ground.

But I am also fortunate to have seen Israel from the air.

On my journey that January day, I flew on an IDF helicopter to the border
zone. The helicopter took us over the most troubled and dangerous areas
and that narrow strip between the West Bank and the Mediterranean Sea. At
that height, I could see the hills and the terrain that generations have
walked across. I could truly see how close everything is and why peace
through security is the only way for Israel.

Our helicopter landed in the town of Kiryat Shmona on the border. What
struck me first about the village was how familiar it looked. The houses
and streets looked like ones you might find in a suburb in America. I
could imagine young children riding their bikes down the streets. I could
imagine the sounds of their joyful play just like my own daughters. There
were cars in the driveway. The shrubs were trimmed. The families were
living their lives.

Then, I saw a house that had been hit with one of Hezbollah’s Katyusha
rockets.

The family who lived in the house was lucky to be alive. They had been
asleep in another part when the rocket hit. They described the
explosion. They talked about the fire and the shrapnel. They spoke about
what might have been if the rocket had come screaming into their home at
another time when they weren’t asleep but sitting peacefully in the now
destroyed part of the house.

It is an experience I keep close to my heart.

....more: http://www.aipac.org/Publications/SpeechesByPolicymakers/Barack_Obama_-_AIPAC_Policy_Forum_2007.pdf>link, PDF from aipac

Afaik, wannabe Barak has not made similar lacrymose speeches about the plight of Muslims.

Posted by: Tangerine | Nov 29 2007 20:27 utc | 7

"Perry Bacon Jr...bestiality in 4 different states"!!

I heard he carried some sheep over state lines for lewd and unsavory purposes. Some kind of Mormon mission. I only heard this, mind.

Posted by: beq | Nov 29 2007 20:34 utc | 8

Sheep?

Ah, no.

What I heard was that Bacon was a pig man, all the way. Stands to reason, don't it?

Posted by: citizen | Nov 29 2007 21:49 utc | 9

c'mon. who pledges allegiance w/ their hand by their heart anymore? real men stick w/ the gut, doncha know...

Posted by: b real | Nov 29 2007 22:06 utc | 10

i didn't hear he carried the goat across state lines , he was caught fucking her on the line , wearing a wedding dress.

Posted by: annie | Nov 30 2007 0:48 utc | 11

Who? Perry Bacon Jr.? With a goat in a wedding dress? On a bicycle?

Posted by: beq | Nov 30 2007 1:17 utc | 12

ô yes, he did that while reading aloud from martin amis's 'money' & being anointed by benny hinn who was ironing jimmy swaggarts jeans with his toungue& offering trent lott a personal massage & joining john ashcroft in sacred song

Posted by: remembereringgiap | Nov 30 2007 1:45 utc | 13

On a bicycle?

i believe it was a horse (not the sex, of course just the ride), while offering trent lott a personal massage & joining john ashcroft in sacred jewish song (not a zionist song tho).

Posted by: annie | Nov 30 2007 2:39 utc | 14

As soon as it became clear that Elites were not going to back a white guy for pres. from the party they knew the masses would want to vote in, my antennae went up. Why? Obviously, since white guys have stolen everything, they wanted to hide behind a woman or guy of color to implement the DRACONIAN measures they consider necessary to rectify their disaster. But secondly, they want the masses to fritter away their energy yakking about the gift wrapping. Can a black guy, or a woman, or non-WASP actually do the job...blah...blah....Instead of wasting time on his Jewis roots, how about asking about Obamination's relationship to Geo. Soros, an early backer. Or even more importantly, his relationship to Robert Rubin, or....[fill in the blank w/suggestions of yr. own].

Posted by: jj | Nov 30 2007 3:46 utc | 15

Fire from the left and right:

Paul Krugman accuses Obama of treason:

What seems to have happened is that Mr. Obama’s caution, his reluctance to stake out a clearly partisan position, led him to propose a relatively weak, incomplete health care plan. Although he declared, in his speech announcing the plan, that “my plan begins by covering every American,” it didn’t — and he shied away from doing what was necessary to make his claim true.

Now, in the effort to defend his plan’s weakness, he’s attacking his Democratic opponents from the right — and in so doing giving aid and comfort to the enemies of reform.

Posted by: b | Nov 30 2007 8:13 utc | 16

Well, is what they should've frontpaged instead.

Posted by: CluelessJoe | Nov 30 2007 16:29 utc | 17

Well at least Obama has not been accused of bestiality. For now.

Posted by: Tangerine | Nov 30 2007 17:23 utc | 18

Excerpt from:

How Obama B learned to love Israel

by Ali Abunimah, from electronic intifada, March 2007:

Over the years since I first saw Obama speak I met him about half a dozen times, often at Palestinian and Arab-American community events in Chicago including a May 1998 community fundraiser at which Edward Said was the keynote speaker. In 2000, when Obama unsuccessfully ran for Congress I heard him speak at a campaign fundraiser hosted by a University of Chicago professor. On that occasion and others Obama was forthright in his criticism of US policy and his call for an even-handed approach to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict.

The last time I spoke to Obama was in the winter of 2004 at a gathering in Chicago's Hyde Park neighborhood. He was in the midst of a primary campaign to secure the Democratic nomination for the United States Senate seat he now occupies. But at that time polls showed him trailing.

As he came in from the cold and took off his coat, I went up to greet him. He responded warmly, and volunteered, "Hey, I'm sorry I haven't said more about Palestine right now, but we are in a tough primary race. I'm hoping when things calm down I can be more up front." He referred to my activism, including columns I was contributing to the The Chicago Tribune critical of Israeli and US policy, "Keep up the good work!"

But Obama's gradual shift into the AIPAC camp had begun as early as 2002 as he planned his move from small time Illinois politics to the national scene. In 2003, Forward reported on how he had "been courting the pro-Israel constituency." He co-sponsored an amendment to the Illinois Pension Code allowing the state of Illinois to lend money to the Israeli government. Among his early backers was Penny Pritzker -- now his national campaign finance chair -- scion of the liberal but staunchly Zionist family that owns the Hyatt hotel chain. (The Hyatt Regency hotel on Mount Scopus was built on land forcibly expropriated from Palestinian owners after Israel occupied East Jerusalem in 1967). He has also appointed several prominent pro-Israel advisors.

Posted by: Tangerine | Nov 30 2007 17:34 utc | 19

@Clueless Joe - thanks, that cartoon made my day ...

Posted by: b | Nov 30 2007 19:57 utc | 20