October 20, 2004

Latest News

Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:59 AM ET

Washington (RBN) - President Bush caught the flu and will rest in the White House until further notice. "The President came down with a nasty variant of a regular flu virus and suffers from a cold and intermediate headache," spokesman Scott McClellan announced. "His doctors asked the President to refer from further travel and the President has agreed," he added.

The announcement came shortly after the President had attended a campaign strategy lunch at an institute in Rancho Mirage, California. Witnesses said the President fainted while picking up a heavy brown bag that has slipped out of his hand on the way back from the meeting to his official limousine. The President is currently aboard Air Force One flying back to Washington DC.

Unlike Congress the President had refrained from a flu shot after a recent shortage in flu vaccine has resulted in accusations of administration mismanagement.

Posted by b on October 20, 2004 at 17:54 UTC | Permalink

Comments

Fainted?

Passed out? overmedicated? stumbling drunk?

Sheesh. I'm beginning to have those USSR flashbacks again -- remember how highly visible Party figureheads who had exhausted their usefulness or stepped out of line would suffer an unexpected "illness" and retire abruptly from public life?

This plus Robertson's stab in the back -- hmmm. Are the ultra rightists preparing to toss sock-puppet-boy aside and hand the Mandate of Heaven to a new puppet? How about handsome, muscular, white-toothed Aaaahnold? Any bets?

Well -- is there a bright side? -- after a generation of this kind of lying, secrecy, police state tactics, a crashed economy and all the rest, perhaps Americans will come up with a fine new line in brilliant, cynical, wildly surreal novelists and poets?

Posted by: DeAnander | Oct 20 2004 18:22 utc | 1

parody, parody. [right?]

hee-hee!

Posted by: gylangirl | Oct 20 2004 18:29 utc | 2

Robertson: Robertson: I warned Bush on Iraq casualties

He described Bush in the meeting as "the most self-assured man I've ever met in my life."

"You remember Mark Twain said, 'He looks like a contented Christian with four aces.' I mean he was just sitting there like, 'I'm on top of the world,' " Robertson said on the CNN show, "Paula Zahn Now."

"And I warned him about this war. I had deep misgivings about this war, deep misgivings. And I was trying to say, 'Mr. President, you had better prepare the American people for casualties.' "

Robertson said the president then told him, "Oh, no, we're not going to have any casualties."

Posted by: b | Oct 20 2004 18:31 utc | 3

Sheesh. Bernhard, you suckered me into it. There I was googling for "Bush Faints" and all I could find was the pretzel incident from a couple of years ago. It would be on the news feeds by now if real, surely. OK, OK, you got me (blush). Made me look!

In my own defence I'll sputter that this regime is so downright weird that almost anything, even satirically intended, could well be real. I mean, who would have believed the US occupiers would pass a law forcing Iraqi farmers to use patented and/or GMO seed from big agribusiness? That sounds like satire too. Most everything Rumsfeld says sounds like over-the-top satire.

Life in the US right now is like some kind of weird psy-ops where they keep testing our perceptions with weirder and weirder stuff until we can't tell what to believe any more. Welcome to The Village, eh?

Posted by: DeAnander | Oct 20 2004 18:35 utc | 4

Thanks for tipping us off DeAnader. I did your Google search and was surprised that this reference hadn’t been picked up.

I don’t think it’s quite fair b, but appreciated anyway. A lot of us aren’t registered and couldn’t (refuse to register, wouldn’t) check your link.

There is a couple of lessons here for me. I had a response all ready just before I read DeAnader’s outing. You saved me another embarrassment DeAnader.

Posted by: Juannie | Oct 20 2004 19:26 utc | 5

"picking up a heavy brown bag" full of what?
I want to know .

Posted by: curioso | Oct 20 2004 22:16 utc | 6

why cnn or reuters said nothing? whats happening?

Posted by: curioso | Oct 20 2004 22:31 utc | 7

google news:
Cheney Got Flu Shot, Aides Say, Citing Heart Issue

Posted by: MarcinGomulka | Oct 20 2004 22:50 utc | 8

Bernhard: Now, that's really not funny that it's only a ruse. There I was, enjoying this great mental image of Dumbya deathly ill from his own ineptness, only to find out it's just parody. Aw, shucks! :-(

DeAnander: Ahnold isn't qualifed for the job. He's not a native-born American, one thing the presidency requires, barring some sudden change in the Constitution ... er, um ...

Come to think of it, WHAT am I saying??

"All hail President Ahnold!!" (Or else.) ;-)

Posted by: JMFeeney (USA) | Oct 21 2004 0:55 utc | 9

Breaking news

Arnold just sneezed

more to follow..............

Posted by: Cloned Poster | Oct 21 2004 5:47 utc | 10

@Bernhard

Let that coyote side out again?... love it

@ DeAnander

Second that notion on the cynical,wildly surreal novelists

and Da Da may live again also.

Posted by: anna missed | Oct 21 2004 7:07 utc | 11

Well I believed the tall tale but wondered what he was doing carrying his own bag, and how that bag could be Brown. Brown Bag? No, I thought, that can't be right, it must have been black.

-Blackie

Posted by: Blackie | Oct 21 2004 9:53 utc | 12

-Blackie

Posted by: Blackie | Oct 21 2004 9:54 utc | 13

Sorry!

Posted by: Blackie | Oct 21 2004 17:36 utc | 14

Good job Bernard,

Your fake news is better than the networks' fake news. Next time have him break an elbow or knee or something, he needs to out do Castro.

Posted by: sukabi | Oct 21 2004 23:45 utc | 15