March 24, 2015

Blog Trouble (Meta)

As you will have noticed there was a bit of trouble with the blog. Typepad, the provider of the blog hosting service, closed the comments and prevented me from posting because of a payment issue.

The story behind that problem:

The credit card through which Typepad bills me had expired. I entered the renewed credit card data -only the expiration date had changed- and thought everything was fine. Then I received an email from Typepad saying they could not verify the credit card data. I again entered the data but that would not verify either and they blocked the blog because the credit card issuer assumed fraud.

After some back and forth we found that my office address attached to my Typepad account, and which is also used for credit card verification, did not fit the credit card address to which the card was issued to. But the credit card belongs to my office checking account and to my office address or so I thought. Everything looked correct to me.

After two days of phonecalls with the credit card issuer and my bank I found that the bank had issued the new credit card to the address of my private checking account instead of the office account where it belongs.

So I again entered the data and changed the address to my private one to which the credit card was now suddenly issued. That did not end the problem though. It still doesn't verify but Typepad now says that the problem for that may be with a changed verification process on the credit card issuer side. But after some SCREAMING at their help desk they also reopened the blog.

I 'll be back with some regular posting tomorrow.

Posted by b on March 24, 2015 at 03:14 PM | Permalink

Comments

Sorry for your troubles, b. Ain't automation grand?

Posted by: jfl | Mar 24, 2015 3:20:05 PM | 1

shit, I thought the world would be kept from enduring b's articles and exspecially the comments here in future...

Posted by: nemzow | Mar 24, 2015 3:25:39 PM | 2

Great. I was beginning to experience withdrawal pains.....

Posted by: georgeg | Mar 24, 2015 3:30:11 PM | 3

sorry to hear of the problems with this.. happy you are back!

Posted by: james | Mar 24, 2015 3:30:36 PM | 4

I'm relieved. My imagination was starting to get the best of me and my mind was inventing scenarios where the latest rash of trolls had somehow sabotaged the site.

Welcome back. I, like george, was also experiencing withdrawal pains and fears that my mornings would never be the same without the Moon. Egad, I thought it would be just many strong cups of black coffee without my real fix.

Posted by: juannie | Mar 24, 2015 3:51:51 PM | 5

I too very often find my card blocked. though it is very inconvenient, my data was stolen once and they stopped the card before it got out of hand and I have to put up with standing in front of a checkout and having the clerk scan once, then twice, then with a knowing look tell me my card is no good. We have tried everything, we have to let the bank know when we travel but making purchases in different countries within a short period of time nearly always triggers their fraud alerts.

this is the down side of a very convenient means of payment. the alternative is cashier's checks and bank tansfers which are both time consuming and expensive.

at the end of the day, I am very relieved that it was something this benign. I started thinking tinfoil hat stuff.

Posted by: dan of steele | Mar 24, 2015 3:58:06 PM | 6

Twas thinking you had locked comments to temporarily discourage a recent rash of trolls, nah, much more mundane ... Great News, LOL

Posted by: Outraged | Mar 24, 2015 6:48:29 PM | 7

Good to have you back and thanks for all the hard work, mostly unseen. Wikileaks had credit card problems, too. Your blog is a real intellectual threat to the political establishment. Just sayin'...

Posted by: maff | Mar 24, 2015 6:49:38 PM | 8

I'm sure WayOutWaste can offer up a few conspiracy theories about this event, b's credit card, and Putin's disappearance?

Posted by: guest77 | Mar 24, 2015 7:28:49 PM | 9

Have you made any large cash deposits in the bank lately?

Posted by: Michael | Mar 24, 2015 9:15:37 PM | 10

Very happy you got it sorted out, b. And double appreciation for all the labor you put into this site and your posts.

Posted by: Maxcrat | Mar 24, 2015 9:32:08 PM | 11

whew...

Posted by: b real | Mar 24, 2015 9:34:55 PM | 12

I'm just glad b is able to afford to keep this site open and allow us to post our views.

I'll leave it to others to chase conspiracy theories but I do wonder if anyone has seen Putin lately, maybe he has Mad Cow disease.

Posted by: Wayoutwest | Mar 24, 2015 9:35:56 PM | 13

Reminds me of some hassles I have had recently. Changed employment and medical insurance accounts recently. Suddenly I found out that payments to health providers stopped. I have been deluged with bill collectors since. It is slowly coming back but I still can't fill a prescription without cash on hand. This is US health coverage, don't know how that works in Europe.

Posted by: ToivoS | Mar 24, 2015 10:10:18 PM | 14

Caustic Hurrderrfield straight up BOUNCED.

Maybe a necessary tactic, methinks.

Posted by: Anonymous | Mar 24, 2015 10:22:04 PM | 15

Glad you're back b. Hope your troubles are fixed. Withdrawl pains? Yep!

Posted by: ben | Mar 24, 2015 10:25:51 PM | 16

Well, b, like the police, I always think the worse. I thought the No-Such-Agency had decided it was about time to shut you up, and started by blocking the commments. Glad to have you back, opening a space for debate, insights, critique and questioning of the status quo.

Posted by: Lone Wolf | Mar 24, 2015 10:35:57 PM | 17

Goodness, I know the feeling, as it happened with me @ ATT U Verse. It only took me 8 months, to correct, after some rude person finely set it right. It seems, that to talk to a live person, one that resides in the U.S.A. and not in Asia and talks nice, is open to back & forth banter, as well as helpful, they charge you $5.00 if you do talk to a live one. Anyway, persistence is the key to getting around these obstacles. At least you didn't sell out to facebook. I don't comment often, as I read the others who do, agreeing pretty much with them, so I don't waste others time in redundancy. Besides, I too old and slow.

Posted by: Norman | Mar 24, 2015 10:47:12 PM | 18

03/24/2015

25 died and dozens wounded (both sides) after units of Ukrainian army ventured from Avdeevka to area abutting Donetsk airport past midnight on March 24. The combatants claim a maneuver that allowed them to ambush the Ukrainian units.

The following day, two unmanned aircrafts launched from Ukrainian side were detected over the area of the night combat – possibly to do aftermath surveillance.

Representatives of OSCE and Russian representatives of Joint Center for Verification and Coordination to exercise Minsk agreements were met by machine gun fire near settlement Shirokino (south of Donetsk Republic).

“There was a previously scheduled meeting between Joint Center representatives from Russian, Donetsk and Ukrainian sides. However on arriving, machine gun and sniper fire was opened”, told Aleksandr Lentsov, a colonel general of Russian forces.

“Having called Ukrainian side, we agreed on measures to warn all units located near Shirokino. I think, if commanders work efficiently, the meeting will occur tomorrow”.

Posted by: Fete | Mar 25, 2015 12:39:42 AM | 19

It is unfortunate to hear this news. It seems that there are those who want to block this site, for as long as it was not available in my country and comes intermittently!

Posted by: ALAN | Mar 25, 2015 2:55:57 AM | 20

Sorry for your troubles, b. Ain't automation grand?

Nice try at exonerating big-headed jobsworths, but it won't work. There's always a few around to exercise and enjoy their moment of power.

Posted by: Petra | Mar 25, 2015 6:16:08 AM | 21

great you got it sorted b sometimes it is really tough and thx for all you do

Posted by: Noirette | Mar 25, 2015 12:32:14 PM | 22

what a relief!

Posted by: annie | Mar 25, 2015 1:23:34 PM | 23

good to hear, b, and nice to see some familiar names again. howdy y'all!

Posted by: lizard | Mar 25, 2015 10:09:23 PM | 24

03/25/2015 21:13

Russian Spring

The past day was marked by reanimated movements of transportation, personnel and armor around Donetsk on the part of Ukrainian forces.
The Ukrainian military was redeploying hardware and personnel toward the separation line.

Two tank companies entered city Dzerzhinsk (north of Donetsk, faces city Gorlovka). In addition, about 30 self-propelled artillery units entered Dzerzhinsk, Novgorodskoye and Novoselovka.

Irregulars of “Praviy Sector” were installed in Dzerzhinsk. The Ukrainian forces relocated to flanks.

A combat took place in area of Gorlovka. The Ukrainian forces attacked from three directions, Dzerzhinsk, Shumi, and Mayorsk, firing from machine and antiaircraft guns, grenade launchers, tanks.

Several platoons, three tanks and several APCs entered settlement Zheleznaya Balka and initiated combat to survey combatants’ positions in area of settlement Stroitel`. The combat lasted about five hours. The opponent lost a fuel delivery truck and an APC.

Military correspondent Bella Chao

Posted by: Fete | Mar 26, 2015 12:12:38 AM | 25

03/27/2015 01:50

Russian Spring

The Ukrainian forces have pulled 203 units of heavy weapons inside the security zone. Eduard Basurin, Deputy Commander in Chief of Donetsk Republic Defense, claimed this on today’s briefing.

“We discover new instances of deployment of heavy weapons at the separation line. Our reconnaissance delivers alarming signals that the Ukrainian troops are amassing inside the security zone”, Basurin said.

Basurin presented to journalists a scheme showing areas of hidden locations of artillery systems and salvo rocket systems of the Ukrainian forces.

Posted by: Fete | Mar 26, 2015 11:56:48 PM | 26

03/27/2015

Comment: Status quo – nothing is different on the Ukrainian frontiers for the past day. Some uptick of reports that the Ukrainian economy is doomed.

Posted by: Fete | Mar 27, 2015 11:16:48 PM | 27

03/28/2015 23:55

Russian Spring

13 incidents when Ukrainian forces opened fire were registered today by the Ministry of Donetsk Republic Defense, according to Eduard Basurin, the Deputy Commander in Chief of Donetsk Republic Defense.

“In these incidents, the fire came from mortars caliber 120 mm, installations of anti-tank missiles, APCs, automatic grenade launchers and various small arm types”, Basurin added.

According to the representative of Defence Ministry, in overall, the current situation remains unchanged.

Posted by: Fete | Mar 29, 2015 12:12:01 AM | 28