June 28, 2006

WB: Star Crossed

Billmon:

Well, we've learned that the sadistic little shits at the The New Republic don't know how to quit when they're behind, that Right Blogistan is full of obsessive compulsives with way too much time on their hands, and that Mickey Kaus really, really wants to be part of the Wererabbit Elite Strike Force, but can't, because he doesn't meet the height requirement.

Star Crossed

Posted by b on June 28, 2006 at 01:23 PM | Permalink

Comments

The three TNR reporters who got into trouble in recent years- Ruth Shalit (plagiarism), Stephen Glass (fabulist), and Jason Zengerle (incompetent creep)- were all hired right out of college, with little or no beat reporting experience. It's odd that a magazine that offers more punditry than straight news-gathering would want so many inexperienced and sheltered 24 year olds making pronouncements on the news of the day.

Posted by: Drits'n'Dravy | Jun 28, 2006 5:04:59 PM | 1

@DND:

How old's little Petie Beinart? about 35?

He was editor of that rag 6 years ago.

I haven't paid much attention to TNR since December 2000.

By fabulist I presume you mean making things up?

I'm a little more conservative than most here.And when I'm looking for Fair and Balanced I tend to check out Anti-War.Com, Sic Semper Tyrannis, or the much-maligned Kossacks. Saw a great little diary over at Kos the other night called the Peckerwood Pimpernell.

I doubt very many on the American left are reading TNR anymore. Be interesting to know circulation #s and unique hits for the on-line version say 01/01 and 05/06.

And I loved it when Justin Raimondo and some of the others over at Anti-War took on some of the leading lights over at TNR in the run-up to the Iraq War, for their anti-semetic slurs. It's interesting to watch folks of Jewish descent call each other Anti-semites and Zionists, with such heat.

My final thought. Fark Marty and TNR.

Posted by: A Generic Pimpernell | Jun 28, 2006 6:18:46 PM | 2

I agree, Pimpernell. I'm a 40 year old woman, and when I read this TNR stuff, I feel like I'm trapped in a small room with the junior high disciplinarian, getting the "You have rights, but also responsibilities" lecture. This TNR crowd may be young, but they're natural born scolds and fuddy duddies.

Posted by: Drits'n'Dravy | Jun 28, 2006 7:07:02 PM | 3

TNR also hires deeply experienced, wise people. See this">http://www.michaelberube.com/index.php/weblog/comments/971/">this

Posted by: citizen k | Jun 29, 2006 1:43:05 AM | 4

How about
www.michaelberube.com/index.php/weblog/comments/971/

Posted by: citizen k | Jun 29, 2006 1:45:26 AM | 5

The New Republican has a circulation of about 60,000 their website says. I donĀ“t know why anybody reads them at all.

Feb 2006 NYT cited by DeLong:

The New Republic's circulation has dropped by almost 40 percent in four years; it cut its circulation and staff salaries after aggressively spending on the Web in 2002. Meanwhile, its historical role as a maypole for middle-way Democrats is under challenge from countless Web sites and bloggers....
To look at The New Republic, with a weekly circulation of 62,000 and a demure size of about 40 pages, the subject of who might be its editor would seem to be a game that is played in a very small parlor....

Posted by: b | Jun 29, 2006 8:28:35 AM | 6

when i was a child in a small town in massachusetts, my father subscribed to three magazines: tnr, the new yorker, and the village voice. tnr is a shadow of what it once was. i was shocked at christmas to see that he still is one of the 60,000. i guess, like smoking, some habits are hard to kick even if they aren't good for you.

Posted by: conchita | Jun 29, 2006 10:59:31 AM | 7