June 12, 2006

WB: Base Motives

Billmon:

Base Motives

Posted by b on June 12, 2006 at 01:37 PM | Permalink

Comments

At a party in July 2003, someone asked, "When will we ever leave?" I said, "When the oil is gone."

Posted by: beq | Jun 12, 2006 2:33:48 PM | 1

And when the soldiers and officers realize what it means to work with constant exposure to DU dust...

Posted by: catlady | Jun 12, 2006 3:48:55 PM | 2

Damn right, Catlady,

DU keeps getting swept under the rug, so to speak. It is not only disgusting and a source of exasperation that this is so -- it is disgusting and a source of exasperation.

Depleted Uranium is a damn word play, they could just as well have called it Uranium Light. True it emits only radiation that can be dangerous if inside the body, which is like saying cigs aren't harmful unless you inhale...

Besides the radiological effect, uranium, depleted or not is a heavy metal and like most heavy metals a biological poison.

But every time the subject surfaces in the media it gets kicked in the teeth. It is literally a crying shame the facts of the story continue to die.

Posted by: Chuck Cliff | Jun 12, 2006 4:40:18 PM | 3

Sorry, continuing OT:

In the Balkans, too. Swept right under the carpet, that twinkling dust.

Kate Bush had a song about Breathing, while back:

Breathing the fall-out in,
Out in, out in, out in, out in.

Weve lost our chance.
Were the first and the last, ooh,
After the blast.
Chips of plutonium
Are twinkling in every lung.

Posted by: catlady | Jun 12, 2006 8:37:30 PM | 4

@catlady

Kate Bush is teh shit!

Posted by: Uncle $cam | Jun 12, 2006 9:10:17 PM | 5

O. O. O I have so much I want to say on this subject. Bernhard, please check your email.

Posted by: Amurra | Jun 12, 2006 9:42:04 PM | 6

@Amurra

I have so much I want to say on this subject.

Please do Amurra, although I see nothing that can be said that can compaire to this illearth war of our, nay, Bush's poisonous legacy. Because, I take no responsibility for the MIC (Military industrial complex), pnac and the gangsters or The Social Production of Indifference. Ulimately though we all will take it for the aftermath.

Posted by: Uncle $cam | Jun 12, 2006 10:34:56 PM | 7

Uncle $cam,

I appreciate YOU educating ME about Iraq.

Posted by: Amurra | Jun 13, 2006 12:02:04 AM | 8

I appreciate YOU educating ME about Iraq.

Now one can take that two ways of course ;-)
Either you were being flipant, or you really appreciate the info. We all learn what we teach, I am just trying to educate myself, and if in doing so I can pass meaningful signal noise then that's a plus, yes?

Posted by: Uncle $cam | Jun 13, 2006 12:11:51 AM | 9

"Operation Enduring Bases" has a nice ring to it. It would also make sense to simply build them as overseas annexes to US National Guard bases.

Posted by: ralphieboy | Jun 13, 2006 2:01:45 AM | 10

There won't be anything "enduring" about them. Look at the lines of supply. No matter what the US wants to think, the Green Zone and the bases will last only until a secular alliance between Iran and the Sunni resistance decides they are no longer wanted. Which is not long, in my view, given that their very presence is providing the stimulus for that alliance to form. For bases to work you really need a despot, like the Shah, Marcos, Saud, or ... Saddam!

Posted by: PeeDee | Jun 13, 2006 5:14:30 PM | 11